Triple vs Super Wide - anyone tried both?

Hi, I’m starting to get into sim racing. I’ve only got a G29 which I’ve had for some time on the PS4 with a playseat but building up. December last year I built a decent PC, got an Oculus Rift and dabbled some more. Now I’m moving onto the PC and just built up a Simlab GT1 Evo (now fully assembled).

I’m intending over the coming months to build the SFX100 but first I need some monitors as I am only VR right now and whilst I love it, for longer sessions and comfort I want to add monitors (also for non-VR titles).

So the question? I like the idea of the Super Wide being a little more compact possibly (and the Simlab mount being £150 cheaper for a single than a triple!). But I see many using triples. In my mind I assume good super wide in the 49” range with 144 fps and 1440 resolution are relatively new at the current price points so perhaps its just that they aren’t popular yet and might become so. I have been looking at the Samsung @ £1050 which is around what I’m pricing up three triples to come to (with 1440p and 144fps). So cost wise there isn’t much difference.

So will a Super Wide be a compromise on function? Cost doesn’t seem relevant? Anyone tried both and have any insight (£1000+ is a lot of money). Thanks!

I tried a super widescreen and triples when I was deciding on the best direction for my sim rig. I went with triples simply because I felt more immersed in the driving world. It felt more around me, which obviously it is. Super widescreen just didn't do it for me personally.

Upvote 0
Triples allow you to look out the side windows. Single screen will never allow that. If you have fps and space, triples are better, but few players have enough of both, so super widescreen (or single 4k TV) is more practical. Plus super widescreen is better if your favorite sim doesn't support proper triple screen.

Upvote 0
Of the major sim titles, it's only ACC not having proper triple support. ET2 and ATC have triple support as well. Codemasters titles don't AFAIK.

I have 27" triples and would never consider going single super wide, the less view or more stretched view I have seen on some setups would not do it for me.

However, for triples at 1440p you need a decent hardware to run at 100fps or more. I run 1080TI SLI OC (are now water cooled, there was cooling issues with fans), an single 2080 TI would have similar performance. Had 1070 SLI and the performance was not enough. And then an high end CPU to match.

If you have as other as mention, the space and budget then I'll go for triples.

Upvote 0
I've tried both and the biggest issue for me was the distortion caused by the curve of most (if not all) super wide monitors. I prefer the 27" 1440p144hz triples we use on the simulators in the office. That being said, I use a VR headset (Samsung Odyssey) on my home rig.

Upvote 0
What About Both?

Still waiting to see someone with a Samsung 49" being used as a central display and with dual 27" 16:9 displays (1800R) ran as triple screens. Folding the side monitors inwards.

This would shift the screen borders to a nicer place but I am curious if this is done that if it would maybe also place the stretching on the outer displays? IIRC isn't it the last approx 1/3-1/2 even in triple screens that causes the stretching? I also do not know if Nvidia or Amd have better options for this.

Sure this idea may be a lot of pixels and if 1440p displays were used but as a concept or experiment, I think it would be cool to try. If each screen was set to 1080p vertical resolution to reduce the GPU strain, then technically it would be the same as 4K res over the 3 monitors but of course, be like having quad 1080p displays not triples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm. I have an i7 9700k, 32gb ram (slightly overclocked with xmp profile) and EVGA 2070 XC Ultra (triple slot card). Built it in December. Think it’s not going to cut triple 1440p’s? I dont really want to fork out for a 2080ti.

I gather from the conversation 1080p triples is a don’t waste your time option - and feels like not just missing future proofing but also not even today proof.

Upvote 0
Just by google it, 2070 seems on pair with a single 1080 TI, it might work ok if you reduce some settings or aim at lower fps. I'ts not like my 1080TI SLI running at 98% load for 100 fps, but I just allergic to FPS drops and stutters and wants the overhead performance.

Upvote 0
Well... 1080p triples will still have a lot better resolution than the rift :whistling::roflmao:
But yeah I went from 27" 1080p to the same height but 34" 21:9 1440p and the clarity and a bit less aliasing/Pixel crawling is pretty nice.

Upvote 0
Still waiting to see someone with a Samsung 49" being used as a central display and with dual 27" 16:9 displays (1800R) ran as triple screens. Folding the side monitors inwards.
Difficult to configure. I don't think you can do it with nVidia and AMD isn't going to have the fps power. On top of that, most of the in-game triple screen config tools assume all the monitors are the same size so you'd likely have distortion on the side monitors.

Upvote 0
I gather from the conversation 1080p triples is a don’t waste your time option - and feels like not just missing future proofing but also not even today proof.
From a practical standpoint, 1080p triples limits you to 27" max monitor size. You can probably dig up some 32" 1080p monitors, but the pixels start getting chunky and you're not going to find better than 75 Hz refresh rates.

Upvote 0
From a practical standpoint, 1080p triples limits you to 27" max monitor size. You can probably dig up some 32" 1080p monitors, but the pixels start getting chunky and you're not going to find better than 75 Hz refresh rates.

I think this is another key requirement. I am looking for hopefully 100-144hz and some form of dynamic sync that works with nvidia cards (I have g-sync on my Dell 1440p 144hz gaming monitor). For a single it would be the new 49” Samsung. I think for triples >27” is off my cards due to escalating costs.

BTW what are folks thoughts on triple 27”/1440p/144hz but curved?

Upvote 0
You can probably dig up some 32" 1080p monitors, but the pixels start getting chunky and you're not going to find better than 75 Hz refresh rates.

I don't know where you're looking but there are heaps of 32" 1080p 144-165hz monitors on the market... I'm. About to buy 3 AOC AG322FCX1's for my racing rig..

3 x 1440p is approximately 11.5million pixels... So harder to run than 4k.. You'd need a 2080ti to run high settings or high refresh

Upvote 0
For me personally the Samsung 49" is the ultimate monitor.

With triples i just can't look past the bezels. They are very immersion distorting for me personally. It also depends on what games you prefer to drive on the monitor. Some still don't have a proper triple monitor support.

I only use the monitor for games that have no VR support like F1 2019. All other race sims i play with the Valve Index.

Perhaps the idea of @Mr Latte isn't that bad, but sacrificing 1440P for 1080P just to have the side monitors wouldn't be worth it for me. Now i already have to actually turn my head left or right to see the edge of the screen.

Upvote 0
For me personally the Samsung 49" is the ultimate monitor.

With triples i just can't look past the bezels. They are very immersion distorting for me personally. It also depends on what games you prefer to drive on the monitor. Some still don't have a proper triple monitor support.

I only use the monitor for games that have no VR support like F1 2019. All other race sims i play with the Valve Index.

Perhaps the idea of @Mr Latte isn't that bad, but sacrificing 1440P for 1080P just to have the side monitors wouldn't be worth it for me. Now i already have to actually turn my head left or right to see the edge of the screen.

Its a great monitor no question but has some quirks...

I did come across a software solution that enables the use of different resolutions but it works in window mode, As its quite old, not sure compatible it is with modern titles. I really dislike the stretching that's visible, it's maybe not so bad in cockpit view.

LG OLED now support Nvidia G-Sync and I assume some models will operate at 120Hz too. Thats another screen option as sales on outgoping models cost not much different than the CRG9. I kinda like the idea of a multi-usage display in my rig for other entertainment too just not ready yet to decide.

Its also easy to set a large 4K display to work with a 21:9 ratio, or use it's 16:9 ratio. I also have not ruled out the idea of twin projectors, these could be set to work with no border and both using 21:9 for a 42:9 ratio. Its getting a model that supports this and works with 120Hz which some are now doing but still it seems they need to improve a bit more. Their drawbacks are more hassle, noise and lesser quality blacks.

Each option always seems to have pros/cons.
For cockpit view the CRG does seem awesome but id like to see a Sim Racing perspective and review of it compared to 21:9 monitors or a really nice 4K Tv with 120Hz support and it set to 21:9 as well.

Does a 21:9 offer less stretching and really what are we getting in usable perspective in most titles moving to 32:9? I've not seen anyone offer an in-depth comparison on these types of factors. Some past owners of 21:9 moving to 32:9 may be able to comment.

Note: All these budding Youtube Sim channels popping up but none look in-depth at such options or audio/video hardware.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 107 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 281 27.4%