Triple Screen Support Coming to ACC!

Chris

Premium
FB_IMG_1571199787306.jpg
Earlier this morning, Aristotelis of Kunos Simulazioni teased an image of Assetto Corsa Competizione being displayed on three monitors.

For many racers, triple screen support is absolutely essential for racing. Without it, games will go completely untouched, unpurchased and left to collect dust on the virtual shelves of the Steam store. And it's completely understandable. Racing on triple screens is a totally different ball game to a single screen. Outside of Virtual Reality, it is the single most immersive way to play racing games currently.

However, with a single social media post from Kunos, they could see the inclusion of thousands of simracers who have been waiting eagerly for Assetto Corsa Competizione to become compatible with Triple Screen setups.

In what capacity it will be available at release remains to be seen as the cryptic post gave little away, other than support for triple screens and the interior of the newly (but not yet announced) McLaren 720S GT3. No release date, no word on how it will work with Unreal Engine. But... The most important thing is that it's coming.

Unreal Engine has been something of a limiting factor for the Italian studio as the engine does not natively support triple screen rendering. Meaning that to get it to work would require convoluted workarounds, often resulting in warped and skewed images on the side monitors.

However, with the hard work of Kunos, that looks set to be a thing of the past.

Will this development be the catalyst to get you to fire up ACC for the first time in months? Or to buy it in the first place if you haven't already? Let us know in the comments below.

If you like what we do here at RaceDepartment, follow us on Social Media for more great content and all the latest in the world of SimRacing!

Thanks for letting me know that whats works as the best experience for me is allowable in its failure.
Well aren't you just a pleasure to have a chat with. I was simply trying to point out the fact there's nothing bizarre on your setup being objectively wrong and at the same time being your preferred setup. But if you really have to be an asshole about it, that's certainly also an option, and a popular one on your side it seems. It's kinda funny, though, how you seem to act like you couldn't care less about what's right or wrong when it comes to FOV, and at the same time are apparently immensely triggered by the simple statement your setup is technically wrong.

If the FOV is so important that everyone not using the mathematical result is incorrect and their experience is lacking because of it (to the point that the pov fanatical are driven to publicly call people out on it no less, which isn't in anyway bizarre), surely the game at first launch should ask for size of screen, approx distance from screen and then set it self up accordingly?
Yes. It should. I don't know why the games don't do that, you should ask the devs. Probably for the same reasons some games don't even tell you what their arbitrary FOV settings actually mean (Raceroom, Dirt Rally), or some games just implement the FOV settings in the weirdest ways possible (WRC8).

Yes. It should. I don't know why the games don't do that, you should ask the devs.

I believe Its because many people find it uncomfortable if not unnatural and it it works against them feeling they are getting the visual input required to drive the car. Ive had to train myself in the past to maintain using the calculated POV in the belief that its correctness over ruled the experience.

Sure, Math is math, But even engineers who rely on it to dictate their work have to review its functionally in application, and if the outcome differs from planned expectations then they have made a mistake. (even if the math is still math)

Last edited:
I'll add another confounding factor that I see in this mix. In real life, different race tracks give a very different impression of speed for example:

Silverstone, open, flat and even at 150mph+ on Hanger Straight it never feels that fast. The width of the track gives a strange illusion and it's often easy to try to carry too much speed into slow corners like Brooklands as a result. In my opinion both in flat screen and VR Project CARS 2 feels like it is set to the speed effect of Silverstone on all tracks (I tried adjusting the FOV to get a better speed effect, it didn't work for me).

Cadwell Park and Oulton Park, in real life, give the opposite effect, tight narrow tracks with trees, barriers and at Cadwell the elevation and trackside drops intensify the feeling of speed. Take the same car (eg an Evo IX or GTR) around both these tracks and it 'feels'l like I'm going a lot faster than at Silverstone which always feels a bit underwhelming even with well over 600bhp to play with. The games where the speed feels most like Cadwell Park to me are AC, R3E (2D and VR) and Forza. ACC/RF2 are somewhere in between imo.

Then there are other games like WRC 8 and Grid (2019) that do something strange to make the games feel faster with the fastest cars - both WRC 8 with WRC cars looks faster than any WRC footage I've seen on TV and the GRID WEC style prototypes look like Star Trek warp factor has been engaged but it's an arcade game so to be expected.

Switching between games like AC to PCARS2 in VR takes me some time to adjust, if I've played AC first I constantly overshoot the corners in PCARS2 (using the same car/track combination). I'm sure FOV plays a part in that but even in VR the difference is quite noticeable to me.

We have said multiple times on the official support forum that the VR support badge was removed from the Steam page by error and was reinstated after we figured out what went wrong. VR support was never removed.

Well these are your words......'We are using Epic's own SteamVR plugin, if there are inconsistencies between how different HMDs work (and even between the SteamVR and the Oculus plugin), it is unfortunately out of our control.' is that VR support??

So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that is was an error with VR support being removed but when it coincides at the same time as your statement what are people supposed to think? VR gone from Steam Store and you say it is out of our control, do you see how that came across?

I paid for a game from Kunos, not Epic or Oculus, it should be under your control shouldn't it?

Its an attempt to put a blunt stop to stupidity.

The killer game, The large screen, The amp and speakers, The sub right beside my chair, The wheel, They all combine to make an awesome and immersive experience. You telling me I have it wrong because of your calculation or because my screen is too big is just bizarre.

If you were up this way you would be more then welcome to try it for yourself, and I assure you, You would love it and see the folly in your words.

You could even adjust the POV to suit yourself, After all, whatever suits the user.

But, No doubt my FFB settings would be wrong, or my speaker placement wouldn't be recreating the realistic soundscape. Or maybe my chair is just too damn comfortable.

What did you smoke?
...sure you should watch your medication.
DC

My take is there is only “one” correct view, that is a properly calculated FOV respect to the monitor, monitors, screen, seat, that you reside in. That’s it, full stop. If you desire to hang from the ceiling upside down with a Xbox joy stick in your hand whilst gazing at the 120 inch tv with a FOV of 90, that’s your bag,
but it is never the less wrong on all counts.

I should have triple 27" by years end or early new year so that should give Kunos some time to optimize their implementation.
Correct FOV on my 40" single 4k monitor is good in ACC so can only imagine how great correctly displayed triples will be!
Another step in the right direction from Kunos.
Kudos

I should have triple 27" by years end or early new year so that should give Kunos some time to optimize their implementation.
Correct FOV on my 40" single 4k monitor is good in ACC so can only imagine how great correctly displayed triples will be!

Why not keep/use your 40" for the centre and buy some smaller ones for the sides to sit on their end (portrait mode?). You get them to measure the same length as your 40" is high, so they still look right.

Similar to this...
jWfbz.jpg

Unless yours is more of a wide screen (and not very tall) then it may not look as good I guess.

Last edited:
Why not keep/use your 40" for the centre and buy some smaller ones for the sides to sit on their end (portrait mode?). You get them to measure the same length as your 40" is high, so they still look right.
Sorry for jumping into this discussion, but your posting piqued my interest.

I have no experience with setting up triples for simracing.
  • Is it possible to define different monitor sizes for the three screens?
  • Is that game-related e.g. ACC or related to GFX-card software if it is possible and to which extent?
What you posted above could also be relevant as an extension for ultrawide-users for example, right?

Cheers.

Sorry for jumping into this discussion, but your posting piqued my interest.

I have no experience with setting up triples for simracing.
  • Is it possible to define different monitor sizes for the three screens?
  • Is that game-related e.g. ACC or related to GFX-card software if it is possible and to which extent?
What you posted above could also be relevant as an extension for ultrawide-users for example, right?

Cheers.

It should work with any that support triples (I think). It’s done through Windows. You just need to make sure the resolution is the same so the vertical on the centre is the same as the horizontal on the side monitors (which would now be the vertical if mounted on their ends).
The issue with ultra wides is that they are not very deep/high so would need a small monitor if mounting it on the end. You would be better mounting it the usual way.

Similar to this...
jWfbz.jpg

Unless yours is more of a wide screen (and not very tall) then it may not look as good I guess.
Hey Mate, my monitor is a 40" 4k screen, I would need more 4k monitors and there is no hope of me being able to run that many pixels.
I've got my eye on a particular monitor x3 and will be using my 4k monitor directly behind my triples facing 180 so I can play games like RDR2 (when it comes out) on while laying on a bed ;)

As far as i was aware they could have implemented this from the start but only with Nvidia cards as they can do multi projections out of the box, but that would have left AMD users out in the cold which is something they didn't wish to do. Well at least they finally acknowledged the fact that true triple screen support is an essential part of sims in this day and age.

As far as i was aware they could have implemented this from the start but only with Nvidia cards as they can do multi projections out of the box, but that would have left AMD users out in the cold which is something they didn't wish to do. Well at least they finally acknowledged the fact that true triple screen support is an essential part of sims in this day and age.

It can't do multi-projections out of the box, only if you render the additional viewports from a different computer.

Hey Mate, my monitor is a 40" 4k screen, I would need more 4k monitors and there is no hope of me being able to run that many pixels.
I've got my eye on a particular monitor x3 and will be using my 4k monitor directly behind my triples facing 180 so I can play games like RDR2 (when it comes out) on while laying on a bed ;)
I’m sure you don’t need to run your current one at 4K.
I have a 4K and just pick a lower resolution to to match my other none 4K and change back when using photoshop etc.

just thought it may save you some cash and desk space.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing