Triple screen motion sickness dilemma

I've recently put together a diy rig and picked up 3 cheap screens. I'm happy with the set up except for I've been getting some motion sickness.

I've read many many threads, articles and videos and am a little confused with the screen angle and fov suggestions.

A bit of info.
My screens are 22 inch 1680x 1050.
Distance to eyes of middle screen is 70cm
Angle of side screens is 45 degrees. This results in me looking straight at them.

My fov is the default view on F1 2019, ACC and AC, but then just add on the side screens ie the centre screen shows what it always has. This results in quite a lot of billboard type stuff whizzing by. The main time I feel woozy though is in tight corners and hairpins where I might be looking at the side screen for the apex coming, then as I turn, the world whizzes around.

Any idea of what to try to eliminate the sickness? I've read to both reduce and increase fov, bring screens closer and further back, also both increase and decrease the angle of side screens. Hence the confusion.

The screens are smaller, lower res and also closer to me than when I was on a single.

What would I try first. Is there any low hanging fruit.

Last edited:
Would be lovely if you attached the specifications of the monitors.
And i mean refresh rate, MS, panel type etc.

Sounds like you have 3x awful screens. What FPS are you getting?

Upvote 0
Sounds like the first port of call would be to get your FOV correct and not go with the default settings - there are plenty of FOV calculators out there if you just Google it.

Secondly I would strong suggest moving your screens closer - I have 3 x 27’’ and the distance is 60 cm - with 22’’ I would definitely move them closer than 70cm and then adjust the FOV accordingly - you may struggle to get them as close as you need to get a 180 degree view as they will likely be right on top of your wheel (assuming you are using one) - the min I would suggest for triple screen is 24’’ and ideally 27’’ (or 32’’ if you have the room and budget).

Upvote 0
Hi.. I suffered motion sickness at first also. Eventually it should pass.
What worked for me is this. It looks like a watch but it is a device that produces a mild electrical impulse to a nerve in your wrist. It blocks whatever causes the motion sickness nausea signal in your brain.
Sounds crazy I know. The FDA recognizes it as effective.
After wearing it a dozen or so sessions the motion sickness no longer occurred.
It was so bad for me that I would get sick to my stomach and if I continued a nauseating headache that would last up to 2 days.
It is horribly overpriced for what it is. Possibly you could used a T.E.N.S. unit which can be had for around $20 US.

Just a thought. Stay well my friend.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. The screens are awful as you say. HP L2245wg, 60hz, TN panel LCD, not sure of response time. They were about $13 USD ($20 AUD) each and I just did the project for a bit of fun. Having said that, it looked really good and I'm now a bit disappointed it didn't work out.

Getting 60-70 fps on medium/high with the occasional dip in the 50's.

Might be able to move the screens 10cm closer but that's about it. Probably can't quite get the 180 deg due to size of screens.

Image below is initial set up, I changed a few things after that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
IMG_20201229_132656.jpg

Upvote 0
It's hard to tell from photos, but have you set up the triples in the settings within ACC? You want it so that the barriers on either side look like they continue to go in a straight line and don't change angle when it passes from one screen to another.

Then use a calculator to get the exact FOV figure so that it looks natural.

Unfortunately as far as I know the F1 games don't support triples properly so you always get a warping effect which can be really off putting in tight turns.

Upvote 0
Do you mean my head? I definately lean into corners.

Screens are pretty level when sitting at the right height. The edges flow pretty well.

I'm away for a few days but will have a play when home again.

Upvote 0
What's your "default" fov btw?
I find 40-50° in ac and acc (not sure what the settings in the f1 games are) to be a good balance between "seeing enough to not get motion sick" and "too much distortion so the "whooshing" effect happens when looking somewhere else than the middle.

The main question here is:
Did you setup the triples correctly?
your photo looks okayish but the interior mirror looks completely wrong.
Did you use the triple screen setup where you put in the angles and everything?

To get this checked from the community:
Please do another photo but use an open wheel car in assetto corsa. Like one of the f1 cars (tatuus, lotus, f1 2004).
Seeing the front wheels either distorted or not will clarify things!

Upvote 0
Is correct fov likely that I will see wider or narrower? ie see more or less?
At 22" monitors the height will mean that the "mathematically correct" fov would be about 25° or even less. So you will see less, narrower.
On my 34" wide-screen (21:9), iirc it was something around 27°.

I'm using 49° since a few years now, feels very natural. When I tried 27° I couldn't drive half a lap before getting motion sickness because I saw so little of the track and the World moved way too quickly.
My eyes started to hurt after the first corner...

Upvote 0
Here's a short video of AC at Donnington.

Looks correctly setup. There's a little bend at the border between monitors. I never setup triples myself so can't tell you what to set where but is your angle setting correct?
Difficult to tell whether it's the camera angle or a incorrect setup.

The fov looks a bit high for triples though. Fov distortion goes worse the further you go away from the center.
With triples, you're very far away from the center when you look left or right.
I'd recommend going 10° lower for now.

Here's how triples without a "bend" at the borders looks like (Google image):

Upvote 0
Were you ever able to get the motion sickness to go away? I installed triples yesterday and my first couple drives were challenging. I find the exact same problem that you describe . . . sharp corners when I have to look towards the apex on the right side monitor then track it as it moves across the bezel to the center screen.

I have a 3090 running 3x32" Asus PG329Q 1440p 165Hz (typically get 130-165fps in AC Epic, 80-120 on ACC Mid-High) so framerate/resolution isn't the issue. My side screens are at 60deg, 63cm away which was calculated to be correct.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately not. After initial set up and sickness I packed them away. After a week I got them out and tried again with all different angles etc. Made no difference so packed up and sold.

Have gone back to a single and more than happy.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately not. After initial set up and sickness I packed them away. After a week I got them out and tried again with all different angles etc. Made no difference so packed up and sold.

Have gone back to a single and more than happy.

Sorry to hear. I figured my issue out . . . I had my bezels overlapping to minimize the width. After I moved them to not overlap and be flush at the front corners, then readjusted the NVidia surround settings to accomodate, the images line up much better now and there's no unnatural warping. I only moved the one monitor about 1cm total, but it made all the difference.

The other thing that helped a bit was making sure my eyes were at the vertical center of the screen, and adjusting the pitch of the camera to 0.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Great result, glad to hear it worked out. I could have persisted but there were other factors also. My screens were only $20 each so no big loss on the experiment.

Also my screens were 1680x1050 so the lower res might have been an issue. Note I'm on a 144hz an enjoying that.

All the best. :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back