Triple screen help

It depends on the way you're going to connect them.

If you plan on using SoftTH (suitable for any graphics card(s), but only DX9) they don't have to. It supports different screen sizes and resolutions, and even PLP (portrait-landscape-portrait) AFAIK

If you plan to run triple screens off an AMD Graphics card capable of AMD Eyefinity, the monitors can be different size but must run the same resolution. So if your 22"s have a native resolution of only 1680x1050, your 24"center screen will downscale to that resolution as well. But when both 22" and the 24" are full HD capable, you'll be fine. Might look a bit weird tho due to the different sizes.:O_o:

If you want to run all three cards off an Nvidia card capable of Nvidia Surround, I'm sorry I can't help you as I have no experience there..

Good luck, keep us posted;)

Upvote 0
Cheers Rupe. I've ordered 2 more 24" screens to match my current 24 but I've gone with a different model due to availability issues. I'm also getting a 120cm size desk, hope this will be big enough:O_o:

Upvote 0
I'm having a dense moment here folks, can someone help me please. For a 3 monitor setup, will I need a display port dual link dvi adapter and why? a;so, I'm looking on amazon and I don't really know what I'm supposed to be looking at as it shows different adapters etc. Sorry for being a noob lol

Upvote 0
@Steven Walker

Can you help Jim out with what he needs to run triple screen.
what are the 3 cables needed to get it to work.:)
I cant remember what they were:redface:
I know my setup is different as I use a display port to display port for one of my screens because my BenQ monitors have it already in them.

Upvote 0
Right, having researched during a hard days graft lol I think I've sussed it. I don't need any adapters as my graphics card has 2 dvi and an hdmi so I plug 2 monitors in via dvi and the middle one via hdmi. Is this correct?

cheers Rupe, that diagram you posted was quite straight forward after studying it :)

Upvote 0
No problem Rupe and Hi Jim, I've taken some photos of how I have my setup connected and where the cables go and i'm in the process of compiling them into something understandable so give me a short while and I'll post it up as soon as it's done. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Ok Jim. Like you I wanted to go to a 3 screen setup and, already having a 27" monitor running at 60hz, i got myself 2 more of them and made sure that, even though they weren't exactly the same model, they ran the same resolution and refresh rate.

My Monitor setup.jpg

From what I have read about what monitors you have (or are getting) they seem to be fine. I also had an HDMI cable for my first monitor and, again like you, thought that I could use this as one of the connectors. Unfortunately it wasn't so straight forward and after many hours of research, asking around and tearing my hair out, I finally figured out how to get it all connected correctly. You need to connect 2 of your monitors (left and right monitors in my case) using DVI cables. Be careful when buying these as the ports on the back of the card require two different types. One of them is DVI-I and the other is DVI-D.
DVI Ports.jpg

My cables are Single Link only because I didn't know there was this kind of difference until researching for this post. :rolleyes: but I can't see it being a problem if you used Dual Link cables instead. The choice is yours.

The way I connected my centre monitor was decided as I already had the HDMI cable I mentioned earlier and after finding out that using it direct to the HDMI port on the card wasn't working I found out that I could get it to work correctly by getting an adaptor to convert it to Display port.
displayport-to-hdmi-adapter-cable-p6816-4385_image.jpg

If you don't already have an HDMI cable then you can get a DVI to Display Port cable to connect the 3rd monitor to the card.
startech-dp2dvi2mm6_extra1.jpg

Geforce GTX 660 Ports.jpg

My connections.jpg

I hope that this enough info for you to be able to get your triple screen rig up and running without too much difficulty and if you have any more questions I shall do my best to help you out if I can.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't quote me on this but I think it's something to do with the ports being on two different voltage rails. Of course I could be completely wrong on that. I got to the point of getting it working and then stopped to play. :laugh:

Actually I think the HDMI does work but not as part of the 3 screen setup. You can have a 4th monitor as an accessory monitor which I assume would plug into that port.

Upvote 0
So to recap, 1xhdmi to display port adapter needed. Dvi-d to dvi-d already got as comes with monitors and finally, 1xdvi-i to dvi-d cable needed or adapter to use dvi-d cable into dvi-i slot.

Upvote 0
If you already have an HDMI cable then yeah you might as well use that and get an HDMI to Display Port adaptor and, to be honest, both of my DVI cables are DVI-D. I mentioned both types in case you had 2 DVI-I cables because one of them wouldn't fit in the back of the card. It should be fine to have both DVI cables as DVI-D. So yes 2 DVI-D to DVI-D cables and an HDMI to Display Port should do it for you.;)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 138 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 191 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 377 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing