Triple screen help

DVI-D to DVI-D? I thought I needed a DVI-I as that connection is different on my graphics card.

Cheers

Jim
ps can I use HDMI to DVI instead of HDMI to display port?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jim im fairly sure you need to use the display port as one of your connections.
id would say follow the pictures from Steven, it works,
my leads go into the same places as Stevens picture but the end of my leads are different as i use the display posts in my monitors.

You say your card is different to Stevens what is the brand of your card
even better post a picture of it.

Upvote 0
Jim im fairly sure you need to use the display port as one of your connections.
id would say follow the pictures from Steven, it works,
my leads go into the same places as Stevens picture but the end of my leads are different as i use the display posts in my monitors.

You say your card is different to Stevens what is the brand of your card
even better post a picture of it.

My card is not necessarily different but I have 2 DVI ports, one male and one female so that was my query, as Steven said I could use two DVI-D ports but the pins are different. I'm probably being really dense about this but I just want to make sure it's right.

Upvote 0
geforce-gtx-660-ports-jpg.41997

Does your card look like this at the rear.
I not which one is different and what is the make of the card so i can at least find a picture of it to see the difference.
ive not seen any cards so far with male ends .. the card above has what we would call all female ends.
its a socket that will receive a pin/s

Upvote 0
geforce-gtx-660-ports-jpg.41997

Does your card look like this at the rear.
I not which one is different and what is the make of the card so i can at least find a picture of it to see the difference.
ive not seen any cards so far with male ends .. the card above has what we would call all female ends.
its a socket that will receive a pin/s

That's the same as mine but the names are dvi-i and dvi-d as in the picture. Are they not different connections?

Upvote 0
and one final thing, the display port adapters I've put links in for, are they ok or can you recommend any others? cheers and i promise not to bother you guys for at least .....................................:D

Upvote 0
Rupe is correct. DVI-D cables will fit into both ports on the card whereas DVI-I will only fit into 1 of them. The only difference between the two types are the 4 little pins highlighted in red here...
DVI Ports Further Explained.jpg

These pins carry an analogue signal but your monitors are digital and so you have no need to use the DVI-I type of cable. You do however need to choose between Single Link or Dual Link DVI-D cables. If you are happy with 1920x1080 resolution then Single Link will be fine. If you want to use higher resolutions then get hold of Dual Link cables.

Those links you provided suggest to me that you don't already have an HDMI cable. I mentioned the HDMI cable and HDMI to Display Port adaptor because I already had the HDMI cable from my original single monitor setup and after trying to connect the three up together I found that they weren't quite right together. I narrowed the fault down to the fact that I was trying to make use of the HDMI port as 1 of the 3 connections. Because I didn't want to mess about getting any more cables than necessary I decided to make use of the HDMI cable and just get an adaptor to convert it to Display Port.

If you don't already own an HDMI cable then there is no need to get one specifically for connecting your third monitor up. Just get a DVI-D to Display Port cable.

Just to make this clear you need 2 x DVI-D to DVI-D cables (single or dual link ) and DVI-D to Display Port cable. Make sure that the length is long enough to reach between the PC and the monitor that will be furthest from it.

I hope that this makes it clearer for you Jim. Good luck and let us know how you go on.

Upvote 0
sorry, just thought of something else. single link gives 1920x1080 and dual link allows you more than that but your monitors have to obviously support a higher resolution, My monitors are only 1920x1080 so single link will be fine? Hope so cos that's what I've ordered lol and honest, no more questions after this one:unsure::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0
Don't worry about it jim, ask the questions, that how we all learn,
certain things don't come to mind until after the event.. And this may help others in the future..:thumbsup:

The cables you have bought will be good for your monitors.

Upvote 0
Wow! all my screen and and cables have arrived and after some tinkering, I'm set to go. Only problem, F1 in cockpit takes up the whole 3 screens and is defo toooooo big and I also need to sort out soft th for race 07 etc. What do I need to know about fov and where do I change all that thanks.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 236 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 164 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.5%
  • < 5 years