Triple monitors and Oculus Rift

Hi,
I have recently started to encounter some problems when switching between my Oculus rift and triples.

This happens especially in Assetto corsa. All three monitors are on but when I finish a session in oculus rift mode and go back to the desktop one of the triple monitors will go blank and not recognise a hdmi input. I have to close oculus home and remove the HDMI cable then replug the hdmi cable in the monitor to restore the desktop display to the monitor. The other two screens will automatically display the desktop when switching between screens and the Rift.

I have a gtx 1080 ti with four outputs 3DP and one HDMI.
The monitors are all identical and connected via DP to HDMI adapter cables .
The Rift is connected directly from the HDMI to HDMI port of the gpu.
Is this issue possibly linked to Oculus update as all was fine before this. Since the update I have also been affected when playing Project cars 2 in VR ,which will only now display in the headset when launched in windowed mode .
Any help appreciated...

Pretty sure I had some pains with triples when I first got my Rift. You might want to run only a single screen while using the Rift and change to triples specifically when using your screens. Seems to have done the trick for me a while back. Windows 10 is also hopelessly incompetent at delivering a decent quality of life for multiple monitor users so this could be compounding your issue.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have recently started to encounter some problems when switching between my Oculus rift and triples.

This happens especially in Assetto corsa. All three monitors are on but when I finish a session in oculus rift mode and go back to the desktop one of the triple monitors will go blank and not recognise a hdmi input. I have to close oculus home and remove the HDMI cable then replug the hdmi cable in the monitor to restore the desktop display to the monitor. The other two screens will automatically display the desktop when switching between screens and the Rift.

I have a gtx 1080 ti with four outputs 3DP and one HDMI.
The monitors are all identical and connected via DP to HDMI adapter cables .
The Rift is connected directly from the HDMI to HDMI port of the gpu.
Is this issue possibly linked to Oculus update as all was fine before this. Since the update I have also been affected when playing Project cars 2 in VR ,which will only now display in the headset when launched in windowed mode .
Any help appreciated...

I experienced this issue on occasion a fair while back, albeit I was running 3 x DP cables from my monitors, (set up for NV Surround), to the GPU. (No HDMI conversion). Rift was in the HDMI port.

I overcame it in the end by connecting the offending monitor's DVI port to the DVI port on the video card. (Assuming you have both) There was no impact upon NV surround and I haven't had a single issue with the monitors or Rift since.

Upvote 0
No joy i have a geoforce gtx 1080 graphics card with only 4 outputs 3xDP 1xHDMI
There is a DVI port at the rear of PC on what i think is the intergrated video card . Will this port display to one of the monitors ?

Upvote 0
Probably cannot use that one as the surround wouldn't work. You'd also be getting power from the onboard GPU which would not match the power of the 1080 card so it's best to just consider that port as non existent. I was running adapters and I managed a way around it, I just can't remember as the last time I used the Rift with my triples was this time last year. My triples are now gone, replaced with a single 35" for titles that don't support VR.

It should run Dirt Rally 2.0 just fine... :roflmao:

Upvote 0
:( gutted I know some gtx 1080 gpu cards have an additional dvi port so im gonna have to just hope a oculus or nvidia update sorts it.
It has only just started to happen worked fine before

Upvote 0
The problem with the recent issues caused by the Oculus 1.31 update, is that they weren't consistent across the user-base and the nature of problems being experienced varied. And on the basis that you are able to use vr in-game anyway, your specific issue might not be related and purely coincidental. So, it might be worth investigating elsewhere before considering options where the Oculus client is concerned.

Firstly with regards PC2, yep, I now have to run it in windowed mode ('Performance' settings) to have it display correctly on my centre monitor when using the Rift. No problem with that though as I never run full screen in high res on the desktop anyway when running vr and that applies to any sim. For info, if I don't run PC2 in windowed mode then the game launches in full screen correctly but on my left monitor only. Strange one but not an issue and doesn't affect game-play or performance.

Going back to your main problem:

Try running AC in windowed mode and with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. Again, I'm personally not interested in running full screen at high res when in vr. FWIW though I'm using Content Manager which does not engage the left and right monitors upon launch, which the AC launcher does. (I.e. they remain powered on and visible in desktop mode)

Is it always the same monitor that stays blank and doesn't fire back up or is it random? When this happened to me it was always the right hand monitor. So try swapping ports around and re- configuring Nv Surround.

Try disabling Nv Surround and set up / let Windows manage your multiple displays to see if the issue persists. If the offending monitor doesn't drop out after doing that then this could could point to an Nvidia / Nv Surround set up issue.

Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? (416.34?) If not, update them and if needs be, reconfigure Nv Surround again. If you are up to date, try rolling back to a previous version and repeat this process several times if you have to, just in case you stumble across one that sorts things out. I've had issues in the past, which were sorted by reverting to a set of drivers several versions previous. Was then a case of waiting for a latest release to resolve the issue. For info, I'm using 416.16 and have no issues.

Check your cable / DP-to-HDMI converter. This is unlikely to be the culprit as it appears you are getting a display when you boot up and only losing it when you exit the Rift. But worth a look as a last resort I suppose.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
The problem with the recent issues caused by the Oculus 1.31 update, is that they weren't consistent across the user-base and the nature of problems being experienced varied. And on the basis that you are able to use vr in-game anyway, your specific issue might not be related and purely coincidental. So, it might be worth investigating elsewhere before considering options where the Oculus client is concerned.

Firstly with regards PC2, yep, I now have to run it in windowed mode ('Performance' settings) to have it display correctly on my centre monitor when using the Rift. No problem with that though as I never run full screen in high res on the desktop anyway when running vr and that applies to any sim. For info, if I don't run PC2 in windowed mode then the game launches in full screen correctly but on my left monitor only. Strange one but not an issue and doesn't affect game-play or performance.

Going back to your main problem:

Try running AC in windowed mode and with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. Again, I'm personally not interested in running full screen at high res when in vr. FWIW though I'm using Content Manager which does not engage the left and right monitors upon launch, which the AC launcher does. (I.e. they remain powered on and visible in desktop mode)

Is it always the same monitor that stays blank and doesn't fire back up or is it random? When this happened to me it was always the right hand monitor. So try swapping ports around and re- configuring Nv Surround.

Try disabling Nv Surround and set up / let Windows manage your multiple displays to see if the issue persists. If the offending monitor doesn't drop out after doing that then this could could point to an Nvidia / Nv Surround set up issue.

Are you using the latest Nvidia drivers? (416.34?) If not, update them and if needs be, reconfigure Nv Surround again. If you are up to date, try rolling back to a previous version and repeat this process several times if you have to, just in case you stumble across one that sorts things out. I've had issues in the past, which were sorted by reverting to a set of drivers several versions previous. Was then a case of waiting for a latest release to resolve the issue. For info, I'm using 416.16 and have no issues.

Check your cable / DP-to-HDMI converter. This is unlikely to be the culprit as it appears you are getting a display when you boot up and only losing it when you exit the Rift. But worth a look as a last resort I suppose.

Good luck.
Il give reconfigure of nv surround a try and check what driver version im on . Thanks again for the suggestions. I pretty certain its not a cable issue .
Does AC have a specific windowed mode setting or is it just a case of selecting 1920x1080 resolution ?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back