Triple monitor advice

I’m taking the dive into building a PC.
I play mainly Assetto Corsa (not ACC), Codies F1 games, Project cars, on the side of racing I play some FPS games and can’t wait to use a triple set up a bit for flight simulator.
Looking at two different monitor set ups as well as two different video cards.
The two cards I’m eyeing are the 2070 Super and the 2080 super, just maybe the 5700xt if I decide to go my 1080p route. As a note the 2080 super would be above my budget a bit but could make it work.
The two different monitor set ups are as follows...
I already own a decent 1440p 144hz monitor. Would cost me $500 to get two more of those, from what I can tell I pretty much need at least the 2080 super for triple 1440 but I’m wondering about turning these monitors down to 1080p with the 2070 super to get decent frames. By decent frames I mean minimum 60 and ideally around 90 or 100 (don’t mind turning graphics settings down but not all to medium or low). These monitors would be 27” BTW. And keep in mind I would like to play other non sim games just on the middle monitor.
The other monitor set up would be three 1080p IPS 144hz. I would keep or sell my 1440 monitor and these three new monitors would total about $480.
The 1080 monitors I know would be easier to run with either card. They are only 24” monitors and since I’m limited on space would give up being able to use a solo 1440 monitor for other games and general use.
So any suggestions for pairing either card with either monitor set up would be awesome!

1080ti here for 27" 1080p triples and it's only just enough GPU power for the 1080p x 3 also CPU gets pushed with triples more than I thought. 7700k here and 1 core is often nearing 100%!

I’m not sure how the 1080ti compares to the 2xxx cards I’m looking at. Isn’t the 2080 super a little faster even with less vram??
My build is around a 3600x as well so think that will hurt a little compared to your chip. Don’t really have the budget to go more on the cpu and already have it... just missing the gpu as I can’t decide what to do there.

Was on mobile before , i can give a little more info now ;)

Yeah 2070S is a tiny bit slower/faster than 1080Ti (depending on software) where 2080s is a little faster across the board (not much though) .

I'm not sure how that vram will effect them in the future , i already see over 10GB in some games ! But that may be just the game taking all that's available ??!!

The little performance that the 2080s has over the 1080Ti wont make up for the performance needed for 1440p triples !! Its a real struggle getting pC2 to run at over 60fps at 5760x1080 when trying to get sharp shimmer free pC2 ! AMS 2 is just around the corner using the same Madness engine so i went 1080p knowing that even 2080Ti wont be able to do newer titles at 1440p x 3 . I'm keen on AMS 2 and do like me some AC , AC runs really well at 1080p x3 on 1080Ti with maxed settings and SOL / CSP and imagine even 1440p x 3 would be fine .

If your willing to run 1440p monitors at 1080p for a while while you wait for more GPU power grab them , if not get 1080p and enjoy the beauty that triples brings !

I've had 4k single on 55" TV and 40" monitor as well as a Rift and really kicking myself for not just going triples to begin with !

Also note that F1 2019 and all Codies games don't support triples and stretch the image across the side monitors ! I have Dirt Rally and F1 2019 and tried everything to get them to work properly , apparently if you run your monitors at a low angle (read wrong angle) it looks okay but if you set your screens up properly with them at a close distance to your eyes they will be 45 + degrees (mine is 52 degrees !

I would say, keep your 1440p monitor and buy 2 others with the same resolution. You can still do triples with 1080p resolution and enjoy other games in the central monitor with 1440p.
To future proof 2080 super is the way.

There is no way buying a year old GPU on the cusp of a new generation could ever be considered future proof ! If you want any kind of future proof with GPU is to buy when hey first release ;)

Ya I’m aware about the 3xxx series and “big Navi” around the corner... I was debating on the x570 MOBO so I would be ready for those new cards down the line but instead went b450 so I won’t be able to run next gen cards without new MOBO and basically rebuilding the system. I’d be perfectly happy if I could get about three years outta either 2070 super or 2080 super. The other consideration is if I went 2070 super I could possibly pick up a used 2080ti sometime in the next year or two (when current 2080ti users upgrade to the new current 3080ti).
Thanks for all the input guys... also didn’t know about the codies triple support, hopefully that will change for their 2020 release.

The B450 board will be compatible with the next gen graphics cards!
Oh I thought the next gen was gunna be pci 4 and my b450 was only pci 3..... or at least something along those lines... if I didn’t mention it this is my first PC build and I’m pretty much learning as I go lol

so do you guys think a 2070 super would be enough to get around 75 frames in most titles today?? Or do I really need the 2080??

Last edited:
Even if (and this is a big if) next gen will be PCI4, it will still work with PCI3.
To be used with triples (1080p) I guess the 2070 Super will be enough for most of games, but maybe another person with the combo can shim in.

Oh I thought the next gen was gunna be pci 4 and my b450 was only pci 3..... or at least something along those lines... if I didn’t mention it this is my first PC build and I’m pretty much learning as I go lol

I know its difficult to see through marketing BS but:

PCIE 4.0 x16 has 4 times the bandwidth that you actually need (i.e. PCIE 3.0 x8 which is the same as PCIE 4.0 x4) until you go over a 1080ti.

PCIE 4.0 x8 is the same bandwidth as PCIE 3.0 x16. Next gen will in no way saturate this bandwidth.
PCIE 3.0 x16 will be fine on next gen more powerful cards than a 2080ti.

So no you do not need PCIE 4.0 for next gen GPUs. But you could put 2 next gen PCIE 4.0 cards in a x570 with full bandwidth. That is its only advantage with GPU's on this platform. But SLI and Crossfire are all but dead now so... Its really only a feature for creatives / render workstations using multi GPU.

The real advantage of X570 and TRX40 PCIE 4.0 are Gen 4 NVME drives, and silly fast NVME RAID arrays for scratch drives for video editing. i.e. building a disk drive almost as fast as RAM.

Thanks for chiming in guys... sounds like the features of the x570 are pretty much useless to me!
You guys have been a lot of help, Thanks!
Pretty much set that I’m gunna go with two more matching 1440p monitors and just run them in 1080p in games that I need to.
Still undecided about which card to get but I’ll figure that out soon.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 98 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 74 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.8%