Tricky conditions made Donington a thriller

The MotoGP race at Donington Park became one of the most thrilling races of recent years as Andrea Dovizioso would take his mayden win in the premier class. It was far from an easy win as the rain fell slightly throughout the entire race but it was never wet enough to go for rain tyres. Something that made it all so unpredictable.

Championship leader Valentino Rossi and Dovizioso fought it out through many laps before Rossi made a mistake and lowsided at the chicane. He was not the only one to go down. Previously in the race Jorge Lorenzo got on the white line while being in the lead and fell. Another rider to get cought out by the white line was Toni Elias who highsided early on after batteling with the leaders.

After Rossi went down, the lead he and Dovizioso had built up on second place rider Randy De Puniet got smaller and smaller. Also Colin Edwards was catching them both after a poor start. But despite the gap getting smaller and smaller Dovizioso stayed cool and could cross the line in 1st. Edwards managed to pass De Puneit in the last turn but the Frenchman wasn't to disapointed with that as he wheelied across the finish line just behind.

Alex De Angelis equaled his best MotoGP performance to finish in a great 4th with Rossi in 5th after getting up again after his fall. James Toseland finished 6th infront of his homecrowd,

Marco Melandri, Nicolo Canepa, Dani Pedrosa and Mika Kallio rounded off top 10. Both factory Ducati riders Nicky Hayden and Casey Stoner started the race on rain tyres. Something they suffered from throughout the enitre race as the heavy rain stayed away. Both of them got lapped.

Attachments

• motogp logo.jpg
    motogp logo.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 258
What a great race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean fantastic!!

People can say whatever they want, but if you want a nice nap on a Sunday afternoon watch F1. You want some excitement watch MotoGP!!

BTW, GREAT TITLE!!!

A nice and precise report... :good:

Rossi is (and will be) a legend... a true champion, among many things, he knows how to pick it up and race on (but we knew that already).

As for the podium, a very nice one as I admire any of the standers for different reasons... but I've to admit, I wanted "nice" Edwards to be up there (top spot) for the first time... maybe next time we have a mix (weather) race
:wink2:

What a great race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean fantastic!!

People can say whatever they want, but if you want a nice nap on a Sunday afternoon watch F1. You want some excitement watch MotoGP!!

BTW, GREAT TITLE!!!

Totally agree, :nod:

I was nearly fell asleep while watching F1, but this race was so fantastic. Even i could'nt turn my eyes out of TV. Every moment, something happened.

I feel people give Rossi to much credit for his performance on Sunday. Don't get me wrong, Rossi is one of the all time greats for sure, but considering the lead he had over the rest of the field and seeing whom all was behind him, it really isn't much of a surprise that he finished where he did.

I do give props to Casey and Nicky for standing by there decision to run wets. All through the race it rained, but never quite hard enough. A real shame. Fortunately Casey didn't lose to many points on the Yamaha due, so the three way battle for ultimate glory shall continue after the summer break. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 76 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 105 13.8%