Tracks Tree shading question...

Hey all. Been getting a little frustrated with Blender and SDK. I updated my trees in bender and they looked great. I then updated them to follow the KSTREE_GROUP naming. Now I'm getting weird shadow lines on the trees. I tried changing the norms to vertical on one tree but still getting the same shadows. Not sure what to do next...

Attachments

• Blender1.jpg
    Blender1.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 195
  • Blender2.jpg
    Blender2.jpg
    636.6 KB · Views: 180
  • sdk.jpg
    sdk.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 175
Hey all. Been getting a little frustrated with Blender and SDK. I updated my trees in bender and they looked great. I then updated them to follow the KSTREE_GROUP naming. Now I'm getting weird shadow lines on the trees. I tried changing the norms to vertical on one tree but still getting the same shadows. Not sure what to do next...
Pivot point / axis for each object has to be at the bottom. Also make sure vertices are all welded.

I could remember wrong but iirc the sdk just rotates the vertex normals by certain amount regardless where you have pointed them in blender. Yours are pointed upwards which means sdk basically turns some them upside down which creates a sharp blackness. Iirc you just leave the normals as they come out of blender with the default smooth shading. The tree shader with the help of the tree naming group in sdk then rotates the normals the way they look better.

Last edited:
I could remember wrong but iirc the sdk just rotates the vertex normals by certain amount regardless where you have pointed them in blender. Yours are pointed upwards which means sdk basically turns some them upside down which creates a sharp blackness. Iirc you just leave the normals as they come out of blender with the default smooth shading. The tree shader with the help of the tree naming group in sdk then rotates the normals the way they look better.
Doesnt matter how they come out of blender, the name tag overrides normals, and will "sphere" them out of, again, the pivot point of the object. So it has to placed in the middle of the 3 planes, at the bottom. Trees shader is there for the "no self shadow" function.

Pivot point / axis for each object has to be at the bottom. Also make sure vertices are all welded.
I put pivot point at the center, or just a bit bellow it, but never at the bottom, tree is too dark, according to my practice.
Trees on your Mosport have pivot points at the bottom?

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question but do I need to have all the vertices through the center merged? I basically remade the tree, duplicated the mesh for each side and merged the verts in the center and it worked. Should I have done this from the beginning? Have a feeling I'm going to have to remake a lot of trees...

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 248 15.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 166 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 165 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 229 13.9%