Transition from stationary race sim to motion race/flight sim

I have really enjoyed my stationary racing sim to this point, but have finally decided to make the jump to motion. My current setup is:
DD2
Simworx pedals
Pro-sim shifter
Tactile (2x concert and tt25)
Simcoach handbrake
Rseat N1
3x 65’ C1 OLED on articulating wall Mount

uninstalled gear:
Dbox 1.5in 4 motor setup
Virpil flight controls (stick, pedals, throttle)
Button box with digital display

I’m regretting the N1 purchase now as my options are limited moving forward, and will finally need to go 8020 route. It is a solid rig, but mounting motion or flight controls will be fairly difficult. I have a good idea what I want to do, but was hoping people with experience could point me in the right direction on some of my choices. I’m between simlab p1x and trakracer TR160 right now. Comparing the two profile material, simlab seemed to be a bit more higher end material, but the units i compared were 18 months old. I would go with the p1x, but like some of the tr160 accessories better. Am I able to mix the two, or does each company use specialized fittings on their profile (seemed like trak racer uses different style nuts, but not 100% sure). Current stock is also a consideration, and haven’t checked which ones are available right now or how long I will need to wait for delivery.

I’m also considering how I’m going to Mount all the controls as well. The racing gear is pretty straight forward, but mixing flight controls doesn’t seem to be as simple. For the people who have added both, it seems like removable flight controls is the best way? I’m assuming I could buy mounts, hardware, etc, and just come up with my own may of installing everything? I have decent fabrication skills and have manufactured some of my own mounts and brackets so far, but was hoping going to an 8020 rig will make that process a lot simpler.

Basically I’m hoping for guidance on the following questions if anyone has experience:

1. P1x vs tr160- which one do people prefer and can I intermix accessories between them? (I understand a lot comes down to personal preference, but hopefully someone has experience with both)
2. Flight controls- should I buy off the shelf profile accessories and customize to my needs, or is it better to get some hardware and just make up something myself?
3. What is the black material most people use to make a “hood” over their triple monitors? I’ve seen a few different ones, but haven’t done a ton of research and was hoping I could come up with something nice looking.

The only other consideration I have to make is my tv’s are hard mounted to the wall, so I’m limited in how much up and down range I have. The mounts extend 43in off the wall, but I can only go up a bit more. I originally wanted to do inverted pedals, but with motion I’m afraid I will have issues with clearance.

Reading through these threads motivated me to upgrade my gear originally. A lot of people have done some really nice work and made some impressive rigs. I road race with two different organizations and only got the sim for practicing new tracks, but have grown to appreciate sim racing on its own. I thought sim racing would be a nice, cheaper alternative to IRL racing, but i was definitely a bit naive. I appreciate anyone’s advice or constructive comments. I posted my current rig below and excuse the wiring as I’ve already started to unwind everything to transfer over. Thanks!

Attachments

• 29E3002B-C49D-4C43-A670-D953B1A5107C.jpeg
    29E3002B-C49D-4C43-A670-D953B1A5107C.jpeg
    448.7 KB · Views: 86

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back