TrackIR

Looking for people's thoughts on this, is it worth getting for racing sims?

I only game on a single 22" monitor so should I even bother? I really cant justify the cost of a triple screen setup, is this a good alternative to gain some peripheral vision?

The demos I've seen on youtube are certainly impressive.

I have used it in the past for both flight sims (IL2 Sturmovic) and rfactor, iracing etc.. In my view for flight sims it is invaluable and should be used all the time. However on racing sims i never got it dialled in correctly and it just gave me too much movement that eventually became disorientating.

I probably never gave it enough time to get it dialled in correctly for racers. If you can get it to be far more subtle with its movements then for a single screen setup it will probably assist you in your side to side visibility however for me i can race well enough (for my standard) using buttons to look left and right.

Upvote 0
In rfactor I have used a couple of buttons on my wheel to look left and right but it feels very stiff and awkward.

Just discovered Free Track which offers a very cheap method for headtracking. It requires some work and it's probably not as precise as TrackIR but at a fraction of the cost I might just give this a go.

http://www.free-track.net/english/

Upvote 0
I too had TrackIR for combat flight simming. When I started driving again it was right there and into use. I still use it almost three years later.
It's not as useful as in a flight sim but I think much better than using a buttton to look to the sides. Looking to see if that other driver has pulled up so close that you can't apex, hairpin corners, low sharp corners it works well there too. I use very little movement in total, others probably ended up doing the same then just stoped using it.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 279 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 190 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 191 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.5%
  • < 5 years