TrackIR suport?

Have there been any thoughts to try for TrackIR support in Racer sometime within the next year?
I am betting that the camera system would have to be a bit reworked to function properly... but still...

>_>
<_<
Either way, cruising would be quite awesome if you could actually look around with your head instead of keeping one hand on your keyboard or other non-wheel controls and trying to mess with the not properly centred camera when you round corners and try to park, observe scenery, etc.
Also be nice for actual racing as well. :p

Have you tried AMGfan's BMW? It has the camera that tilts, if you push #2, while driving, you look to the left. And the #3 makes you look to the right. But I don't know if that is what you're looking to accomplish. But his is one car out of the many that are out there for Racer. I like your idea though. :cool:

Yea, some of the muscle I grabbed from the alge server had that type of setup.(70'bird, olds442 and coronetsuperbee come to mind) I mean a more fluid motion though, that is what TrackIR was designed for. :)

The 1-straight, 2-left, 3-right 4-back kinda works but it is far from ideal and means taking a hand off your wheel and you are not always looking in the optimal direction either. :/

Is there anyone here who actually does use TrackIR at all? Gotta say that I really love it in things such as GT Legends and LFS among others. :)

*Edit
This is not my vid, but you can see how cool it would be to have in Racer. :cool:

I used the ghetto version, built my own IR headset and used a webcam.
I asked Ruud about TrackIR and he said he was planning to do it but never got around to or something to that tune.
He also said it's pretty low on his TODO list and I fully understand that because there would be less than 1% of the people using racer with the right stuff to use it.
Still...would be nice to have - was pretty damn fun with it in arma 2 :D

I used the ghetto version, built my own IR headset and used a webcam.
I never ended up getting a webcam setup that was suitable for freetrack so I just went with real trackir.

wrt the rest of your post, yea, it is too bad so few have the stuff to use it. :(
Oh well, at least if other things in Racer get improved then Racer as a whole will be better. :)

So how does it work, uses head movement x 10 or something?

Does it feel weird looking right to look right, but then having to move your eyes to the left to stay looking at the screen hehe.

I'd like some HD stereoscopic glasses (may as well make em stereo if your doing it :D ), and then track them for full 360deg view... that would be much better than this rather naff look to the side but have to look the opposite way with your eyes thing :)

Dave

So how does it work, uses head movement x 10 or something?

Does it feel weird looking right to look right, but then having to move your eyes to the left to stay looking at the screen hehe.

I'd like some HD stereoscopic glasses (may as well make em stereo if your doing it :D ), and then track them for full 360deg view... that would be much better than this rather naff look to the side but have to look the opposite way with your eyes thing :)

Dave

Yes, it just multiplies the movement of your head. It's not as bad as you might think if you are using a wide screen monitor.
I have the iglasses HMD, it's great but the resolution is too low.
A better solution is to use a projector and domed or curved screen, but you would need to distort the projected image and that is not enabled on Racers free version. :frown:

Alex Forbin

mimicing TrackIR supposrt - mdbobbo

some years and Racer versions ago I thought of doing just this (TrackIR) supposrt from another angle.
using the POV on my steering wheel the results are as follows.
I am using a "Logitech blue FF wheel" it's quite an old steering wheel by present wheels avalible.

-------------------------------

just in case it works on mac also
( remember to save your backup you've got first )
then try this one, it's the default..ini code read further for more settings after the first lot of code
; =-=-=-=-==-=-=start of default.ini wheel code

controllers
{
mouse
{
enable=1
}
keyboard
{
enable=1
}
joystick0
{
enable=1
index=0
force_feedback=1
kerb_magnitude_factor=1
kerb_period_factor=1
max_torque=5
max_force=10000
deadzone=0
latency=0
friction=1000
inertia=0
steerleft
{
axis=x
min=-1000
max=0
button=-1
pov=-1
negate=1
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
sensitivity_rise=5.000000
sensitivity_fall=50.000000
key=
}
steerright
{
axis=x
min=0
max=1000
button=-1
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
throttle
{
axis=y
min=-1000
max=1000
button=-1
pov=-1
negate=1
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
brakes
{
axis=rz
min=-1000
max=1000
button=-1
pov=-1
negate=1
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
shiftup
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=10
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
shiftdown
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=11
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
clutch
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=0
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=1
linearity=1.000000
sensitivity_fall=10.000000
key=
}
handbrake
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=7
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=1
linearity=1.000000
sensitivity_fall=10.000000
key=
}
starter
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=6
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
horn
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=3
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
sensitivity_rise=0.000000
sensitivity_fall=0.000000
key=
}
change_camera
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=4
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
lights
{
axis=
min=0
max=1000
button=5
pov=-1
negate=0
make_analog=0
linearity=1.000000
key=
}
}
}
global
{
name=Racer controls - defined ingame by menu
}

; =-=-=-=-==-=-=end of default.ini wheel code

Then open up your wheel's controller program
That's "Logitech profiler" in my case for Windows Vista

and set your POV in the "Profiler" example picture added below

the up and down POV is south=2 and north=8 number pad
this makes the POV tilt the view along the length of the car

the left and right POV is set to west=1 and east=3
this allows you to look to the left and right while driving

Note:
at the moment it's abit experimental with these POV settings
but it does add more control while drriving in the game wiithout needing to drive with one hand and use the keyboard.

to make the right and left view more usable it needs to have much more fluidity, there might be a way of doing this with more research into the Logetec_wheel_profiler but from this threads heading it's now more obvious to me that the setup should be linked to TrackIR rather than POV.

I have found that the left and right needs to be a bit faster on the response as at the moment it's a bit jerky, the up and down (north and south work fine
as it tilts the in-car view so your sitting at the right height and angle of the particular vehicle and make the driver (your self) feel less of a midget looking out the front window or hitting you head on the roof (Some cars of course don't work but that's the car makers choice to let the view tilt or not tilt)

; =-=-=-=-==-=-=

Lastly there's the helicopter view which in this following case follows the car from behind and gently sways as the helicopter pilot try's to keep up with your lead footed driving around the bends and give you a heck of a fright when you career into anything because the helicopter pilot didn't expect you to stuff up and over shoots your car, Even when hard braking the helicopter pilot tends to catch up quite fast making you power through the corners to keep seeing where your going.
At first I used this view ,which is obtainable from the steeriing wheel button, to learn a new track but now after months of using it, I find it the preferred view in combination with a selected 1-0 in car view, with two clicks of the steering wheel's view button I can escape sun strike and see over the brow of hills or past the car in front, then click back to the in-car views 1-0 for realistic driving again

it's kind of like haviing the roving camera floating above and behind you.

well enough already here's the helicopter view referbished ( you can tweek it quite easily from these basic settings as you please.) with the original settings written in so you can remember them. just copy/paste them to the helicopter section in racer.ini

; =-=-=-=-==-=-=start of helicopter code in Racer.ini
helicopter
{
; Mass of helicopter
mass=47 ; mdbobbo was 200
; Spring constant to pull heli above car
k=246 ; mdbobbo was 10 to 20
; Damping to keep helicopter from overshooting car location
damping=260 ; mdbobbo was 10
; Height of heli (avoid going to high for clipping and rendering speed)
height=2.4 ; mdbobbo was 50
; Lens
fov=75 ; mdbobbo was 50
; show_dials_2d=1 ; mdbobbo attempting to show dials in helicopter view
}
; =-=-=-=-==-=-=end of helicopter code in Racer.ini

And that's most of the setting changes I've made these are all linked to my Logitech steering wheel and pedals
EnjoY ...
Attached Thumbnails

collection
Newest upgrade afoot come see and comment please​

Last edited by mdbobbo; 08-08-2008 at 14:48. Reason: opps forgot the picture to go with this

Attachments

• POV_Logitech_profiler.jpg
    POV_Logitech_profiler.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 248

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.5%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.6%