Track wont load

Hello guys

I just recently reinstalled rfactor2 after a couple of months of vowing not to play it until there is some interesting new stuff. After deciding to give it another chance, I reinstalled and downloaded my subscribed mods. It all appears in the content page with green ticks, but when I try to start a race it goes to the loading page and gets to around 80% complete and then it stalls - forever. There is no message, no error - just an endless spinning loading circle in the top left of the screen.

I have verified my files through steam - 4 or 5 times - and it gives me the all clear, but when I run the game again the same thing happens. I've tried it with 6 different car/track combinations but all with the same disappointing result.

Has anyone got any suggestions or ideas on what may be going wrong?

Thanks

How long did you wait? rF2 sometimes takes forever to load a track, can be up to several minutes on larger ones, espaecially on loading them the first time.

Try loading into a small track and give it ten minutes, that should be more than enough.

How long did you wait? rF2 sometimes takes forever to load a track, can be up to several minutes on larger ones, espaecially on loading them the first time.

Try loading into a small track and give it ten minutes, that should be more than enough.
As others have stated, the first time you load a track, there is a longer wait than usual. At around the 80% mark, rF2 begins building a cache file for use next time you load that track.. This causes at first a pause and then a slow crawl through the 80 to 90ish percent ranges. After that the remainder of the loading time is to load cars.
Some bits of info might help us debug your situation. What video card do you have and how much Vram does it have? Are you using a laptop or desktop? Which UI are you using? Many of the new tracks require a very large amount of Vram if you have your graphic details set fairly high. Remember rF2 has under-gone about a half dozen graphic upgrades and each places more demand upon the video subsystem.
For testing, try just loading 1 default car at a S397 track but also avoiding the large laser scanned tracks like Sebring, Le Mans, Nords. Nola would be a good choice as it's not too large.

Thanks for the responses guys - very helpful. The track loading was taking over 2 hours with no progress at all over 82%. However, after rebooting my computer and restarting the game I went in to the graphics settings and turned everything down to near minimum. I then verified my files through steam (for the 4th time) and the tracks are now working! The steam verification took ages - it got stuck on the redistributable common files part for almost 1/2 an hour but it eventually verified the files. I think/hope my problem is now solved.

However the graphics are not great - slow framerate, rough textures. Any ideas on how to make it look better would be appreciated. My system specs are:
GPU: GeForce GT 740M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Resolution: 2560 x 1080, 60Hz
System: Windows 10 64 bit

Thanks for the responses guys - very helpful. The track loading was taking over 2 hours with no progress at all over 82%. However, after rebooting my computer and restarting the game I went in to the graphics settings and turned everything down to near minimum. I then verified my files through steam (for the 4th time) and the tracks are now working! The steam verification took ages - it got stuck on the redistributable common files part for almost 1/2 an hour but it eventually verified the files. I think/hope my problem is now solved.

However the graphics are not great - slow framerate, rough textures. Any ideas on how to make it look better would be appreciated. My system specs are:
GPU: GeForce GT 740M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Resolution: 2560 x 1080, 60Hz
System: Windows 10 64 bit
You are running the bare minimum for most DLC tracks and DLC cars. Many of the newer tracks require 6GB VRAM for anything but the barest settings, and your video card only starts with 2GB. 8GB total also is a hindrance as your (Laptop?) won't have much memory to share with your video subsystem. Avoid the fancy cars & laser scanned tracks and you might get away with bumping your graphic settings a little. But the hard truth is your system is going to suffer with each new car or track graphic update.

Thought as much. I have another PC which has much better specs but I've filled up most of the SSD with Assetto Corsa stuff :O_o: I was sort of hoping I could get away with playing rF2 on my lower spec PC. Should I maybe swap the stuff over? Do you know which game is more thirsty on VRAM?

It sure does! My drive is so full that I almost have to delete an AC mod before I install a new one .

I would really like to give rfactor2 a proper go, as its driving model is more realistic so I think I have to bite the bullet and do a full swap so I can play rF2 with better specs. Its a whole days work!

My main problem with rF2 is that mods come at a trickle but AC mods come in a flood!!

It sure does! My drive is so full that I almost have to delete an AC mod before I install a new one .

I would really like to give rfactor2 a proper go, as its driving model is more realistic so I think I have to bite the bullet and do a full swap so I can play rF2 with better specs. Its a whole days work!

My main problem with rF2 is that mods come at a trickle but AC mods come in a flood!!
Well there is your problem, you need a minimum of 10% free space on your HDD else there no shuffle room. rule of thumb, I give all drives 20% headroom. I run rF2 on an old 4th gen Intel PC on high for all but shadows, more your drive fills up the slower your PC will run.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 373 16.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%