Track Tweaking/Recommendations

I am in need of some advice as my project gets further into being ready for at least a test release...

My track is similar to a large Albert Park. There is runoff on both sides, walls all around (inside and outside in some cases) and then fencing all around the track (inside and outside for almost the whole track).

My question comes after reading through the forum on some finalizing questions other people had.

Would you guys recommend removing the back side of the outer walls if they are never going to be seen? The track is almost 6 km and am wondering if it will never be seen is it necessary to have?

Are there any other recommendations for ensuring good FPS? I did a search and could find no topic threads on it specifically.

Speed is pretty good right now. But as I add some final touches and eye candy have found slight slow downs here and there.

Hope to post a test soon.
Thanks!
-kohnboy

Iv never found walls to be a problem no matter how long they are but if you have problems it might be an idea. Usually Ill run the track a few times before adding the objects to make sure there are no problems, and then add the main bulk of objects and test, test, test.

Iv generally had no problems, even with huge terrain areas and lots of objects but the only advice Id give is to test as you go and if there's a problem with performance start to cut down on the textures you use (For example trees and other objects that are far away from the track don't need to have much in the way of detail because you cant get close enough to see it).

MVK

How do you reduce the detail then?
For example there were some great palm trees from a posted xpack here.
Looked fantastic in game.

I placed a long string of them down a +1 mile straight and found the game immeadiately ground to a halt. Their detail is high. Very sharp.

Deleted 2/3rds and things picked right back up.
Was thinking these trees for example need not be of great detail.
They would run down the side of a track behind a wall and fence.

Am I missing one of the basics then?
Can you reduce the detail in the editing of a SO or Object?

Noted on the walls though- did not think it would make that much difference but thought it was worth checking.

• austinman55

long string objects will always affect the FPS try doing the string of trees down the 1km straight, in 4 or 5 sections

long string objects will always affect the FPS try doing the string of trees down the 1km straight, in 4 or 5 sections

I think this is one of the main tricks to remember: Long SObjects (and even walls) should be broken down into smaller sections whenever possible.

As for the detail thing, Id place fewer, better looking objects beside the track, and more, lesser detailed objects further away.

Another thing Iv noticed is that the total number of objects seems to be very high indeed before I notice any frame rate problems, but only if they are spaced out a fair bit. Having 2000 trees, fairly close together can cause a problem, whereas having 10,000 trees spaced out around the entire terrain area does not. It looks better too!

MVK

Tree walls are a possibility, but you have to be real careful how you place them or they look horrible. You can disguise them a bit by folding the wall over itself to get three or even four surfaces for the trees.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 320 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 221 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 214 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 164 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 280 13.5%