Tracks Track Modders/questions

Hi,

I run a league that uses AC for a lot of different race seasons and has done for quite a while. I'm currently looking to ramp it up in terms of it's "production quality" and I'm hoping to ask a few questions of the modding community to see if my goals are easily & morally achievable.

Many of the track mods we use have come from Race Department - it has been a fantastic resource for lesser known/obscure/niche category tracks and while I'm grateful that these mods exist in the first place, some of them are a little dated. I understand what it's like to get bored of working on what once was a passion project, so I can see why some mods go unfinished, have things missing & in general, leave some things desired, no judgements here in that regard, but it's clear in many cases that people may no longer be willing to work on a track mod after a period of time.

Ethics/Etiquette Questions: Is there a set of boundaries/unspoken rules in terms of taking a track mod made by someone and having it re-worked to suit ones needs? For example - advertising boards changed, adding tyre bundles/bollards at strategic places to help enforce track limits, adding to the pit box count etc. I have a number of track mods that are largely fine, but either don't have enough pit poxes, have some very poor track limits coded into them and in general, could use sprucing up with some banners etc that represent the league in place of some advertising boards. Is this kind of thing OK or frowned upon?? Nothing will be used in a "For Profit" manner, but I feel like having each track created from scratch would be a waste of time, effort & probably money given how close so many of them already are, they just need some "finishing touches" to make them what they (imo) should be.

Now, Assuming it is ok, what's the best way of commissioning someone to perform such works and what kind of pricing should one expect? Lets say the track mod is provided, but needs 20 more pit boxes added, the advertising on an overpass changed to the leagues banner and there are 2 chicanes that could use a solid tyre bundle placed at each apex to prevent track cuts, what would people say is a "fair price" for such?

Anyone interested in helping with such that has a portfolio/examples of work they've already done that I can look at?

Thanks in advance

IMO the golden rule is to ask permision to the original author, not just to modify but even to use a track in leagues.
Of course, this isn´t always possible - some people aren´t active in the comumunity anymore, in this case the least one can do is give due credit. Others might have a different opinion, of course.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 330 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 228 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 168 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 288 13.5%