Track Guide | Zandvoort (Formula BMW FB02)

Formula BMW Zandvoort Track Guide

I made a trackguide a couple of weeks ago for an F3 event and people seem to really like it and find it helpful so i thought i'd make one for Fridays Nations GP event.

I had not yet done a qualify session before today and i was not able to get a lap that was "clean" and "fast" enough so i decided to use my earlier best lap with race setup carrying 30 liters of fuel which i felt would be better from a track guide point of view. So this track guide is based on that race lap...

Race laptime: 1,43,008 (30L fuel) View attachment Zandvoort_081225_Race1 43.008 s.Vcr
Equal lap in qualify should be about 1 sec faster.

Turn 1I look to the signs up on the left for a good braking point referens and slam the brakes at first then lift off and gently turn in to the corner while still braking slightly. I try to pick up the throttle asap and try to steer the car with the throttle rather then the wheel. Lifting a little if the car understeers to much and giving more throttle if it goes to tight. It's perfectly fine to use alot of curb on the exit. And as you try to go on full throttle as soon as you can you might get som oversteer on the exit which you should try to correct only with steering. Don't lift the throttle unless you have to.

Turn 2,3 I approach T2 in 4th gear full throttle and i never brake here but only lift the throttle and downshift to 3rd picking up the throttle gently at first as i try to get the tightest line possible without touching the curb and then i floor it (full throttle) somewhere midcorner.

Turn 4 Exiting T3 you should try and move towards the right side of the track in order to position yourself better for T4 entry. The entry however is over a crest so you need to have the car settled and pointing towards the apex of the corner before you start to brake. Which gives you little time to position yourself but every inch to the right you can get is better then nothing. Here to i slam the brakes for a short moment then i try my best (with my braking foot) not to lock up and right before the crest i start to turn in very gently and let go of the brakes. Immedietly i go on throttle but very gently just to avoid oversteer that the off throttle engine brake could give over the crest. I keep the tightest line possible and when the car is settled i give maximum throttle asap. You can take a little curb on the exit but be very carefu! Getting a rear wheel over the curb and even the slightest oversteer will cause you to spin off. Once the rear of your car goes in this turn you won't be able to catch it.

Turn 5 Easy flatout just be aware of the bumps. They can cause trouble if you fall asleep there.

Turn 6 Entering T6 i don't brake i only lift the throttle and shift down from 6th to 5th gear. I try and get a tight line and use the throttle to push for understeer if i get to tight. Be very careful of the bump that comes mid-corner! Once i have returned to full throttle i keep it flat out through the corner and right before the bump i correct my steering so that the car goes over the bump as straight as possible and then i continue steering. (didn't get it that good this lap) Sometimes if i get the line a little wrong i have to make a small lift over the bump. It won't cost alot of time so you can do that to be safe if you feel like it. You can take some curb on the exit but not much. If you get one wheel slightly off track then you will not make the turn. If that happends just lift the throttle and let the car go straight and be careful because there are some nasty bumps ahead in the ”off track” area.

Turn 7 Coming downhill i just give the brakes a little touch before i steer in towards T7. To get it right you need to be a little aggressive on turn-in. Try and get as close as possible to the inside curb but don't hit it to hard because it will make your car very unsettled. I slightly miss the turn-in on this replay (turn in a little to early and not aggressive enough) so i have to be more careful picking up the throttle so that i wont understeer off the track. Which gives me a little slower exit.

Turn 8 This is a tough one. It's hard to find a braking point and it's better to brake a little to early then a little to late for this one. And it's very easy to lock up and oversteer on the entry because you will be steering and braking at the same time. So make sure the car is pointing straight on initial braking and then be very gentle on the brakes while turning in. The exit is pretty wide so you can pick up the throttle quite early just remember, throttle control on the exit and wait for the car to settle before going hard on the throttle.

Turn 9 For me the most difficult turn. You wont have much time but you need to position yourself as close to the right side of the track as you dare. It's easy to get a wheel on the grass before braking which will cause you go off. It's very hard to find a braking point referens so i try to feel where i should brake which makes this turn look a little bit different on every lap. I start to brake about the same time as initial turn-in which is very gentle as is the braking trying to get a somewhat wide entry before i let go completly of the brakes, turn more and easily pick up the throttle as i try to get a tighter line mid corner to get a more straight line exit. I try to get on full throttle as soon as i think i can get away with it and traction is usually pretty good out of the corner. It's easy to run wide on the exit though. But also not that difficult to keep the car on the track if you do.

Turn 10,11 I use the tyre marks on the road for braking point referens for this hard braking zone. I'm still on the brakes when i start initial turn-in and it's easy to lock up if you are to hard on the brakes at this point. Stay off the inside curb as it will only upset the car. You should be able to go full throttle before the next corner entry if only for a second. Almost no braking just lifting the throttle and trying to get a tight line and getting the straightest line possible on the exit to get maximum traction. As you can see on the replay i'm a little to agressive on the throttle and i loose a little traction and get some oversteer but it's not more then to just correct with the steering thus keeping full throttle.

Turn 12 The last corner is extra difficult aswell but my advice is that you brake a little earlier then you think. Just touch the brakes and turn in and get the tightest line possible on entry and pick up the throttle immedietly (earlier then you think) but very gently. It helps to steer the car and when you feel you can, go on full throttle. Don't take to much curb on the outside on the exit. If you get a wheel over it you will spin. Remember the exit is what is important so don't get obsessed with entering this corner as fast as you can. Getting a good exit will be much more important since you have a long straight coming where you could loose time or track position.

Also if you want here is the qualify lap of 1,42,307 from earlier today which i at first was going to base the track guide on before i changed my mind. It's a little slower and different especially a mistake in T8 where i get some oversteer entering the corner. View attachment Zandvoort_090128_1759_Qualify HOT LAP.Vcr

I hope this will help you, i know it's a difficult track. GOOD LUCK on friday!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 108 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 284 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 412 39.9%