Fuel: Fixed

Alignment
Camber front: -1.50
Camber rear: -3.50
Toe front: 0.05
Toe rear: 0.20

At Silverstone, my time was 1:31.935

Sector 1

Turn 1: Going down the pit straight stay as left as you can without having a wheel go off the road. There is a right turn sign on your left in front of the 50m marker (around 100m), at exactly this point come off the gas, downshift to 6th and turn in sharply right with full lock. Once you contact the curb you should be able to floor it maybe not, don't worry just hold the steering and don't go into the run off area. This corner is probably the toughest corner of them all and can make or break your lap, practice it lots. (this can be taken flat out but it is VERY hard, you need a top car and lots of downforce like Steve or Viktor's setups)

Turn 2-6(maggots/becketts/chapel): After 1 you should be near the middle of the road, point the car slightly left as you accelerate towards 2 so that the front left will go over the curb. Just before coming in contact with the curb downshift to 6th come off the gas and turn in sharply right with full lock for turn 3. When you go over the curb of 3 with the front right then floor it briefly while you straighten the wheel so you are pointed left towards turn 4. When the curb on your left before 4 ends drop another gear and turn in sharply left with full lock so you can take a big chunk of 4's curb. Just as the curb on the inside of 4 ends straighten out the wheel (not completely) and use a very short step of the throttle before dropping to 4th on the way to 5. Entering turn 5 drop another gear to 3rd and turn in to full lock right, after the inside curb ends open the steering to 3/4 and then 1/3 as road turns right. At this point you can floor it as long as the steering is open enough you wont spin. Turn 6 should be flat out but you might have to use full lock left to stay on the road, if you didn't slow down enough for 5 you will have to be careful with the gas through 6 to avoid going off on the exit.

Sector 2

Turn 7: Go down the straight and glide to the left for turn 7. Watch for the meter boards on your left and brake hard at 75m (between 100 and 50 markers). At the same time, turn in right with about 1/2 of the steering to begin with and then 3/4 once the curb beside the 50m board ends. Once in 4th gear release the brake and hold the steering while you wait briefly for the curb on the inside right of the turn to come close. Once there continue to hold the steering and coast until just before the curb ends, at this point you can get back on the throttle firmly (but not 100%), shifting into 5th quickly (then you can floor it). Open the steering to 2/3 or 1/2 after the curb on the inside right ends. Shift to 6th on the exit.

Turn 8: Get to the right after 7, you will have a short straight before this turn. Shortly after you pass underneath the Thinkpad sign overhead brake hard from 6th down to 1st. Stay in a straight line until after the tiny bit of curb on your right before the corner ends, here you want to angle the car slightly left with just a nudge of steering since you're still braking. Once in 1st gear (and shortly after the thinkpad sign on the barrier to the left ends) turn in smoothly to full lock left, if you are too sharp you will run over the bump on the inside of the curb and cause a spin.

Turn 9: Immediately after 8. Going through 8 you should be able to straighten the wheel as soon as the curb on the inside ends so that you are pointing the car right still. Floor it very briefly to get to turn 9 shifting into 2nd but not 3rd. Just before the curb on the inside starts come off the gas and use full lock right to get the car into the turn but immediately come back to 3/4 since the turn is wide. Open the steering even more (1/2 or 1/3) when you are about 2/3 of the way over to the right, you can begin to accelerate (maybe 1/2 throttle) but be gentle and keep the steering open to avoid a spin.

Turn 10: Immediately after 9, hook the 2 corners together. Keep accelerating, in 3rd gear you can open the steering to about 1/4 and use a lot more throttle to get to 4th and then floor it. Use a wide entry to get a good launch towards turn 11 by only using 1/4 of the steering on entry and then 1/2 or 2/3 before going over the curb on the inside right. Release to 1/4 again quickly after going over the curb.

Turn 11: Like turn 1 but easier. Stay left after 10 and keep an eye out for the poles that separate the old circuit on your left (after the 2nd bridgestone/pirelli sign). Count 2 of them and then take your foot off the gas, downshift to 6th and turn in sharply right with full lock. You will not need to wait long at all to return to power,you should be able to floor it just before going over the inside curb. Hold the steering while you do this and you will be able to stay just right of the edge of the road on the exit. It is a good idea not to go right to the edge or over because turn 12 is immediately after.

Turn 12: After 11 come away from the edge of the road a little and straighten the wheel. Just before going over the small incline in the road start turning left, use as much of the steering as you need (3/4 or full lock) to stay with the curb on the inside left as you go round, turn 13 is immediately after.

Turn 13: Watch for the meter boards on your left. In front of the 100m marker brake hard coming down from 6th to 2nd or 1st. Begin turning in shortly after you start braking with about a 1/4 turn right. Passing the 50m marker go to 3/4 or almost full lock to have the front right just graze the curb. There is a big bump on the inside of it so don't aim to take a big chunk of crub or you will spin for sure. Hold the steering on the exit (very easy to go too fast through the apex) to avoid the grass. You will need to move right for turn 14 immediately.

Turn 14: Get as far right as you can after 13 (it helps if you brake a tad early to make sure it's nice and tidy) shifting to 2nd and briefly 3rd on your way. Just as you get into 3rd gear and about midway down the curb on the right of the entry stab the brake and drop to 1st quickly. Turn gradually to full lock left and grab as much of the inside curb as you can without riding over the bump, once you've touched the curb you can begin feathering the throttle gently and hold the steering on your way through. Once the front left leaves the curb accelerate harder and open the steering gradually for best acceleration.

Turn 15: Flat out. The best way to accelerate from 14 is to glide to the right. After doing so you will need to line up 15 so you wont be able to straighten the wheel. From 14 continue to hold about 1/4 of the steering left. There isn't a specific turn in point but you will need to use a quick 1/2 turn left to use the curb on the inside.

Sector 3

Turn 16: Get to the right down the straight and watch for a spot between the Santander sign on the barriers on your right and the 100m marker (125m). Brake hard from 7th down to 3rd, you will have to turn in about a 1/3 left as you brake. Shortly after the 50m marker (25m behind the poles on the inside of the turn) you will need to go to full lock to get the front left over the last inside curb. Coast through and floor it briefly (stay in 3rd) before entering 17 once the car is straight, make sure you are in the middle of the road after the exit.

Turn 17: From that middle of the road position you want to turn in when the curb on the inside right starts with a bit of full lock to start. Open up to 1/3 once the front right is just about to ride the curb and begin feathering the gas. Try to hold your position with the curb as you go round by using the gas pedal instead of the steering wheel, you want to stay as close to the curb without going over it. Once the Santander signs on the left of the exit are in plain view in front of your nose then begin squeezing more out of the throttle (50%) to shift into 3rd and push the car left on the exit. Once you're about halfway across the road begin opening the steering and accelerating more so that the front left is about to touch the curb on the edge of the gravel pit. You will need lots of practice and very good throttle control.

Turn 18: Flat out righthander. Get close to the inside going through but use as little steering as possible for best acceleration, make sure to go left on the exit for turn 1.

Notes: Probably the hardest circuit of them all. Turn 1 and 17 are very difficult and turn 1 requires a lot of faith. The setup I use here requires a big lift in turn 1 and a smaller one in turn 11. Something like Viktor's will allow them to be taken (nearly) flat out depending on your car, but I found I was still faster with Fahad's setup probably due to better speed on the straights.

Should use my hotlap vid with pedalcam instead of career mode ;)

my cam got busted after this one but will be pickin' up a new one this week ,looks like I'll have to get crackin' on the other tracks to catch up with all the work u've done, great job!

BRILLIANT, AWESOME, FANTASTIC... what more can I say. Thanks for the efforts in putting this together guys... Steve superb video, you always make me laugh but it doesn't detract from how much help it is to those of us not as quick as you guys... about to have another bash at Silverstone right now to see if I can find a second or twos improvement using some of your tips.. just in time for our Xbox league race tonight :) Cheers guys :)

Well, I put some of the tips from here to practice this morning and managed to improve my previous best by almost a second. I would have had a much bigger improvement in a couple of laps if I hadn't made a mess of things on the last corner.. that one is causing me some grief.. purely because it's so tempting to get on the power earlier than you should which is what I did twice causing me to have to save the back end and killing the lap. The improvement would have been around a second and a half at least, with a bit more time I am sure I would be nailing that imporovement consistently. The main improvement for me is in the Maggotts \ Becketts complex.. I took that so much quicker having watched the tutorial and was as much as a second up on my previous best split on a couple of occassions after that little section.

One little point though.. the setup used in the vid is different to the one Viktor has posted in the Silverstone setup thread.. pretty much everything is different so is this a newer or older one?

Well, I put some of the tips from here to practice this morning and managed to improve my previous best by almost a second. I would have had a much bigger improvement in a couple of laps if I hadn't made a mess of things on the last corner.. that one is causing me some grief.. purely because it's so tempting to get on the power earlier than you should which is what I did twice causing me to have to save the back end and killing the lap. The improvement would have been around a second and a half at least, with a bit more time I am sure I would be nailing that imporovement consistently. The main improvement for me is in the Maggotts \ Becketts complex.. I took that so much quicker having watched the tutorial and was as much as a second up on my previous best split on a couple of occassions after that little section.

One little point though.. the setup used in the vid is different to the one Viktor has posted in the Silverstone setup thread.. pretty much everything is different so is this a newer or older one?
Same question, which is the better setup? I've tried some of Viktor's, but they seem better suited to hotlapping.

Thought I would write the guide tonight but I found out I wasn't comfortable with the setup. After lots of testing, I am fastest with Fahad's setup, I also like steve's from his video here. I should be able to get the write up in tomorrow.

edit: sector 1 took a lot of time to put into words properly, going to try to finish this tonight

Just read your write-up. Interesting how our approaches differ.

I never use full lock as I use that as a sign of understeer and therefore going too quickly. You can see in my video I am not at full lock for any of sector one. Also, it's interesting that you use 1st gear for turn 8. It must be gear ratios because I personally only ever use 1st gear for the Monaco hairpin, and nowhere else.

Personal preference I guess.

I am never at full lock for very long, just through the apex really. If I'm still turning hard then I will go back to somewhere between 3/4 and full lock (it is easier to describe it as full lock). If I don't use 1st for turn 8 I find I'm carrying too much speed and spinning a lot. Maybe with some practice I could do without it but I figure it is an easier place to start learning if you go down to 1st gear.

Neither one of us is wrong, just proof of different driving styles. I think this track has the most diversity in driving styles and setups.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back