Track Designing Competition

Was hoping this would get more interest since it's more than the typical GMAP thing. What would make it better for you?
I think the fact that this might take longer than normal. My image above took me around 80-90 mins to get right and completed. Not everyone might want to spend that much time on something that might not even win.

East London Circuit.jpg

A Track Designing competition with a bit of Trivia and problem solving to deal with first :D

Design a Grand Prix circuit (Streets of Permanent on some unused land) that is in both France and The Netherlands. No going into Belgium. Good luck :sneaky:

Firstly a seemingly simple and basic task: Redesign The Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez to improve the overall layout, racing and overtaking. However I will be designing my own circuit to match the brief of this challenge. Your task is to create a layout that you think best represents the challenge but also that of my circuit creation. I will follow the exact same brief ( and the room for circuit extension for this particular circuit is limited) so there is unlikely to be much deviation in the circuit layout. The only hint I will give is that my circuit is 5.2 km long and has 15 corners:rolleyes:. I will judge on Saturday and will only look at the circuits then before judging. If someone creates a circuit I feel better represents the challenge than my circuit then I may award victory to this one as well. Good luck:confused::D. Oh and I will post the circuit at some point before Saturday as a spoiler, just thought I would set the challenge first in case people accidently clicked on the spoiler without reading the actual post.

I made T1 a few meters earlier so the run from T2 to T3 would be slightly longer. Got rid of the nonsense at T4-5 and made it more of a full-on hairpin. Think something more like Bahrain T9-10 but turning right not left. Reconfigured the esses a little, but the spirit is still there. In this style it is a bit like the esses at Hungaroring. A long left-hander brings the drivers full speed into the stadium section where fans can see them coming straight-on, rather than the current slow-speed entry from the side. It also gives the crowd a great view of one of the best overtaking spots on the circuit. As the cars leave the stadium, they can make use of the original wide 180-degree turn on the outside of the stadium.

15 Turns, 4.6km

https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7346531

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7346537

The first three corners have been rebuilt as an homage to the final hairpins at Istanbul, which were absolutely perfect for switchback driving and keeping racing going down the next straight. I have put a left kink before a right hairpin at the next section to force drivers to either take the long route for the racing line, or the shorter up-the-inside divebomb on the right - like Rivazza at Imola. The main problem for racing in F1 at Mexico is the high altitude and the middle sector. The sweeping corners in the middle are impossible for cars to follow through and the follower loses too much time that they can't make it up by the overtaking zones. That has been removed and a new section built that gives the following car a few breaks. The hairpin in the stadium has been reduced in severity to produce a section of corners that doesn't suck like the current one does.

Do you have any idea if the new regs will enable this?
They'll help, it's just the high altitude of this circuit makes it a lot worse. Low air pressure = less downforce = more aero sensitivity. The new regs should make it a lot easier for cars to follow each other yes.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 77 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 119 10.8%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 162 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 304 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 435 39.5%