Track Designing Competition

I also decided to be a little silly with this one. Not very long, but maybe fun for the drivers? Who knows.

Let's imagine this new rule I am about to enforce at Formula One...

** All drivers must have a home race **

The following drivers do not have a home race on the 2024 calendar:
Ocon, Gasly - France
Albon - Thailand
Bottas - Finland
Magnussen - Denmark
Hulkenberg - Germany

Create a new track, or use an existing one with some modifications, located in one of these countries.

Let's imagine this new rule I am about to enforce at Formula One...

** All drivers must have a home race **

The following drivers do not have a home race on the 2024 calendar:
Ocon, Gasly - France
Albon - Thailand
Bottas - Finland
Magnussen - Denmark
Hulkenberg - Germany

Create a new track, or use an existing one with some modifications, located in one of these countries.
France: Rouen-Les Essarts Rework.
A classic come back. Needs a lot of work, like a full new track, but I've race that track on their glory days and was other level...

Thailand: Chang International.
Not a street as had rumoured time ago. Grade 1 circuit, with a bit of changes like box entry&exit would be interesting to race in.

Finland: Helsinki Street.
I created years ago a rF1 track in Helsinki, but never saw the light. This is a revision, to make it more F1-like track. It has no long straights at all, maybe will be a narrow trainish boring race, but it as a Baku's castle-like complex, parking corners, a yatch port next to the track, and it's urban baby (Liberty intensifies XD).

Denmark: Copenhagen Street.
Close to the before rumoured urban track on the hearth of Copenhagen, this semi-urban, inspired on COTA's first Corner, Catalunya's fast hairpins, Sepang's closing apex, fast & slow chicannes, and a Hanoi's style roundabout hairpin just before the (Baku's style) longest "straight" with 1.8km, I think this track has the best of all tracks.

Germany: Nurburgring/Hockenheimring.

Last edited:
Speaking of Madrid, here is what F1 announced today...

GEhI97zXMAA28bd.jpeg

Ah yes, two roundabout monstrosity chicanes that only exist because they are followed by a tunnel and speeds cannot be too high through there, plus the previous corner must be a certain distance away.

Did they not learn anything from the terrible chicane at Miami that everyone hates?

Ah yes, two roundabout monstrosity chicanes that only exist because they are followed by a tunnel and speeds cannot be too high through there, plus the previous corner must be a certain distance away.

Did they not learn anything from the terrible chicane at Miami that everyone hates?

That is probably the worst section on the entire calendar. For me, it was the last 3 corners at Catalunya until they went back to the original curve. Oh, and the stadium section in Mexico still bothers me...too slow to have any real purpose.

And in reality, Madrid looks to have 4 useless chicanes. I can accept T1/2 at the end of the pit straight.

That Mexico stadium section is such a enigma. For what is undoubtedly one of the best spectator seated areas on the Calendar, it really is the worst section of race track. However they have to make it so slow so that the cars are in there for a longer amount of time and less likely to land in the grandstands in the event of an aerial crash. The first Hairpin is fine, the two silly apexes after it aren't.

Formula E got the memo of how to make the Stadium section great though :thumbsup:

That Mexico stadium section is such a enigma. For what is undoubtedly one of the best spectator seated areas on the Calendar, it really is the worst section of race track. However they have to make it so slow so that the cars are in there for a longer amount of time and less likely to land in the grandstands in the event of an aerial crash. The first Hairpin is fine, the two silly apexes after it aren't.

Formula E got the memo of how to make the Stadium section great though :thumbsup:

Doesn't Formula E have a tighter turn radius? Also seems the whole car in general is smaller.

I have seen some on-board videos of the new Madrid track. Obviously, they are all simulations with AC or whatever. It really doesn't look that bad. Although, I think the people driving in the videos are a bit mad. The T5/6 chicane (under the bridge) has zero runoff and a high potential of killing yourself. And taking the long curve of T10 around 280kph is insane. You know me, I had to do the math. It was a 4.5G curve for 7 seconds. 4.5G isn't so bad, but sustaining it that long could be difficult on the drivers. (See Texas Motor Speedway when IndyCar first started racing there)

Overall, though, I quite like it. It is a bit like Jedha and Sochi in many respects. I think it needs some help making it safer...hopefully FIA will look into that. Open up some runoff on T5/6 and strictly enforce track limits here. Maybe higher banking on T10 will reduce lateral G's. I think the purpose-built section could do without the fencing on the sides.

With all that said, I think it is starting to take on a very Korea-esque appearance and feel. I hope it does well.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back