Track Designing Competition

Hi everyone, I have a proposal for a new game I've thought of (OK so I stole it from another forum... that doesn't matter though, no one has to know...) - a Track Designing Competition.

There was another one of these on the Forums before, but it died due to lack of interest and perhaps because the whole thing was a bit too complicated (with voting etc.). So this is how it'll work:

1. A person sets the rules/criteria for their competition. It can be pretty much anything they want, but it has to be set in the real world. Example rules are listed below. A deadline (should be ~6-10 days) should also be set.
  2. Competitors then design tracks using GMap-Pedometer. Depending on the rules of the competition, more than 1 map may have to be submitted (e.g. if a pit lane also needs to be shown).
  3. The person who set the competition chooses the winner.
  4. The winner then sets their own competition, and will choose the next winner, who will set the next competition and so on.

Example rules/criteria/parameters people can set for their competitions:
  • Location (e.g. "In Australia", "Closest point less than 50km from the centre of Rome" or whatever)
  • Track length (e.g. 4-6km, 3-4km, 10-15km or whatever you like)
  • Track type (e.g. Street circuit, Purpose-built circuit, "hybrid" circuit like Adelaide - part purpose built, part street circuit) - Note that even for full street circuits, a little bit of 'new' road should be allowed as it's sometimes necessary
  • What type of racing the track is intended for (F1, Mixed Class, Touring Cars...)
  • If buildings can be destroyed or not
  • If road width (or "possible road width, if road was widened) and elevation should be accounted for or not (using Google Street View is helpful here)
  • If run off should be accounted for
  • If a pit lane needs to be designed, and what minimum length it should be (e.g. 150m, 250m...)
It isn't necessary to specify all these parameters, and others can be used to, but these are just some examples ;)

So, without further ado, here is the competition that I am setting to kick things off:

Scenario:

Melbourne doesn't want to host the F1 Grand Prix any more, after residents protested about the disruption it causes (they complain every year...). So, Adelaide snapped up the opportunity to reclaim what it rightfully should have :D, and F1 is set to return to the city in which the Australian GP made its Championship debut. But, there's a problem - the track is no longer good enough. It is too short, and the pit lane is unsuitable in the way in which cars enter the track back on the racing line in the braking zone for the Senna Chicane.

Rules for track design:
  • The nearest point of the track must be no more than 12km from Victoria Square, the centre of Adelaide. You can use the original track as a base and modify it if you like, or you can build a completely new track.
  • The track should be either fully street circuit or a hybrid street circuit + purpose built circuit combination
  • It must be 4.5km to 6.5km long
  • It should be suitable for F1, in terms of run off, road width (or potential road width if widened) etc. 4 lanes wide should be considered suitable, with 3 lanes wide for short sections a minimum allowed width.
  • Buildings cannot be destroyed (NOTE - if you use Victoria Park - the location of the purpose built section of the existing track - you can 'destroy' the 'buildings' surrounding the track, as they are temporary buildings/grandstands put up every year for the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercar race, and Google Maps happened to take the image when this was happening.)
  • A pit lane of 250m minimum length must be incorporated into the design, either by explaining its location in writing or by having a separate map for the pit lane.

I think that's about it :)

Entries close at 5pm on Monday 24th of February at 1700 Adelaide Time (0630 GMT).

Have fun!

What would you rather use?

Gimp, Photoshop or Paint, make a blank template to work on with square on it like your hexa map but with square.

Make some track part sheet who each part is fitting on a square. Each part have a cost to use and each square exemple = 100m.

Make rules like you have to make a track with 10 turns and one straigh line to 800m. You can design it between 3.5km to 4.5 km

The only good thing with gmap pedometer is you can have exact lenght of the track and thats all. No real potential of design with pit lane design, growd bench ( Gradin in french ) dont know what is in english, etc.

Gimp, Photoshop or Paint, make a blank template to work on with square on it like your hexa map but with square.

Make some track part sheet who each part is fitting on a square. Each part have a cost to use and each square exemple = 100m.

Make rules like you have to make a track with 10 turns and one straigh line to 800m. You can design it between 3.5km to 4.5 km

The only good thing with gmap pedometer is you can have exact lenght of the track and thats all. No real potential of design with pit lane design, growd bench ( Gradin in french ) dont know what is in english, etc.

I understand this approach, and quite honestly like the idea, but it is much more complicated and time consuming. Not something that attracts competition. Also, did you even read the rules? If you use a blank template and pieces, how are you supposed to design a street circuit specifically set in Adelaide? Even if you start with a satellite image of Adelaide, the resolution would need to be massive.

I know GMap Pedometer isn't a perfect solution, but it's a forum game, and should be quick and fun. Not everyone wants to use Photoshop, and we're not competing for some "real life" competition either.

You don't have to play if you don't want to, but please do. I could understand if I was forcing you to use Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.NET, because that's harder and time consuming, but if you feel that strongly about it then I guess you just don't play...

Well, I've never done this before. Never heard of this contest, never heard of Milemeter (not to mention used it) .. so I'm not sure I've done this right.
Anyhow, here's what I've come up with. I think I used part of the original circuit, but I'm honestly not familiar with it :laugh:

I hope this link is correct:
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=6215160
Pit lane is the actual pit lane in the actual race-track portion .. I think it's long enough, but I'm not certain.
EDIT: OH!! The track is to be run counter-clockwise. (which should make that pit-lane useable) :cool:

Last edited:
are we allowed to edit our entry before the deadline? i've thought of a couple changes ... I see I can indeed edit it, but not sure how to save the edited route
EDIT: nevermind. looks like one needs to make an account to save edits. that's fine. i'll leave the design as-is. :whistling:

Yay. OK here's the new scenario.

An earthquake has hit Japan, and caused the bridge at Suzuka to collapse.Your aim is to redesign the circuit (anything else can change) avoiding a crossover. Also, the land has raised enough to drain the lakes on the inside of turn 1.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back