Track Builders

A

Andrew Evans

• Andrew Evans

allo...

just getting into the whole track building thing and i don't really see any posting about this kinda stuff here on rd....

it would be cool if we've got people who do this kinda thing tucked away in the background... yea, they do cover it on other forums - but in my opinion not that well - so i'd like to see this take off here in some way!...

tis early days yet and atm just aiming to get a basic track into rfactor and then ported to race 07/gtr evo... but documentation on the web is a patchy at best and generally not well written - so i'm bound to have a million questions to bounce off like minded souls...

my main plan is to gather together lots of good and useful resources - and to write some good, clear stuff like jarrod wrote for rendering car scenes in 3dsmax (which is going to be my weapon of choice)...

anyways... am just seeing whose about and what abilities you've got... shout up and make yourselves known!

cheers :thumb:

(e)

• Andrew Evans

well, that's exactly what i'm going to try and build here... a detailed "how to" for people with ideas but no clue about how to get started...

i think in light of recent developments, regarding intellectual property and the like, it's prolly best to steer clear of the whole conversion thing and concentrate on creating new content...

am making good progress with understanding the whole process and tying together all the random snippets of information fragmented across the web...

i've got a simple track layout done and exported to the right format... once it's working in rfactor i'll write the whole thing up as 'a nublets adventure in track making' and see where we go from there....

• Andrew Evans

well, it's been just under a week and i've gone from total 3ds nublet to getting a basic track into rF and being able to drive around it - just gotta sort the timing out, which works in the AIW editor - but not in the full game - and then i'll write up some kind of detailed tutorial to help others avoid the pains i've encountered....

pc time is gonna be pretty limited for the next week - so it'll probably be after that...

• Andrew Evans

well, i managed to overcome the problems and i got my first track into rF and working - a joyous moment!

however, i've realised there are a few too many holes in my knowledge at the moment to write a detailed guide... so i'm embarking on a second track as we speak....

am learning new stuff all the time and i hope to write something up in the not to distant future instead... :)

• Andrew Evans

cheers tim...

i've got a little bit side-tracked with this... i tend to throw myself at 15 different creative projects at once and generally get nothing done :)

that said, am gonna try and get back on this, this weekend... i was up to the point where i was smacking my face against the wall trying to get nicely laid out textures on my track piece models - but will get there... if i can then port the rF track to GTRe i'll totally have something worthwhile to write...

there doesn't seem to be very many people on RD into this side of things - which surprised me! - but ultimately i'd like to turn this into a collaborative project to create an RD racetrack.... let's see how it goes... :)

• Andrew Evans

no idea about specifics atm - but things like photshop and 3ds max (v6 or v7, i think) make up the bulk of the required toolage... :D

i can envisage needing people who can make textures and people who can create models for trackside objects and so on...

but all that jazz is pretty far in the future, atm!

no idea about specifics atm - but things like photshop and 3ds max (v6 or v7, i think) make up the bulk of the required toolage... :D

i can envisage needing people who can make textures and people who can create models for trackside objects and so on...

but all that jazz is pretty far in the future, atm!

lol, I can get hold of 3ds max, we use it at work. The skill to use it though, ia another matter :p

• Andrew Evans

cheers geez!...

i haven't abandoned this - just don't seem to have enough time to get uber stuck in...

did some work this week and have hit a problem that i'm waiting to get answers on... once i sort this issue it'll be no problem to knock any basic track surface together...

once we reach that point i'm gonna abandon this thread and start writing a track maker bloggo... :D

• Chris Noble

Heh making maps/tracks for games is always a bit tricky.

I have only had a little mess about in Bobs Track builder which allows the basics to be done and generates it into a rFactor track press the btuton in the designer and rFator loads up and your on your track :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 237 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 235 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 176 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.3%