Cars Toyota Sera WIP

Invaluable info and insight on your modeling in this thread, thanks for sharing!!

Oh and coolest minivan design e-v-e-r:

Yeah pretty much alike, to me is just the small brother of my own Toyota Previa :)

2VSulbG.jpg

Reading the F50 thread reminded me of this one, probably the longest WIP I've ever did! :speechless: thought of reminding everyone interested that this is not dead.
Joseph (the real car owner) was going to take care of the physics at first but it got a bit out of his league, specially considering we'll have 3 variations of this car (the GT is AWD even) based on real data that includes different engines, suspension and drivetrain configurations, then we decided to give the physics (the research and what was done) to @aphidgod, but it was at a moment where we were both busy with other projects, so there was no other option than to delay this a little bit longer.

Most likely we'll get back on this next month, so I'll keep this thread updated.

I guess it's not so much harder to do a modern car that was never sold in my home market than a vintage prototype like the XJ13 that was never sold at all, it just seems like it somehow.

Maybe it's because there are only 3 people walking the earth who have driven the jag in anger, and probably twice that number of Sera owners watching our thread... I can't hide my mistakes nearly as easily. :D

I guess it's not so much harder to do a modern car that was never sold in my home market than a vintage prototype like the XJ13 that was never sold at all, it just seems like it somehow.

Maybe it's because there are only 3 people walking the earth who have driven the jag in anger, and probably twice that number of Sera owners watching our thread... I can't hide my mistakes nearly as easily. :D

That XJ-13 is something else no doubt but don't worry about it, you are doing a tremendous job and it is highly appreciated no matter how close you get to the real thing. You know what you're doing and have the passion and ambition to get it right. In my book all we could ever ask for.

Thing I'll never understand is how you physics guys get that area at the threshold (from grip to slide/drift) and in the drifting motion modeled. I drove my E30 in heavy rain yesterday and it was the first time with that engine in it (~200hp/1100kg) and before I knew I felt the steering wheel lightly rotating against the direction of the turn I was taking. In what must have taken no more than 3 seconds I suddenly realized the rear had gotten lose, I was in a slight drifting motion at around 40km/h and the steering wheel was self correcting so I let it turn, gave it some more gas and the kick from the rear set the car straight at the right time and the steering wheel did its dance back into default. Due to the rear trailing arms the load change following a sudden loss of grip usually has that opposite effect on the steering in the E30 seemingly putting the car into a drift motion by default. This only really works on cars without power steering. The final kick I gave it which set the car straight and had the steering follow without required input is more common in RWD cars I guess.

How do you model that?? More asking myself than expecting an answer I could comprehend. Either way thanks a lot for all you do and don't worry about the mistakes :D.

That XJ-13 is something else no doubt but don't worry about it, you are doing a tremendous job and it is highly appreciated no matter how close you get to the real thing. You know what you're doing and have the passion and ambition to get it right. In my book all we could ever ask for.

Thing I'll never understand is how you physics guys get that area at the threshold (from grip to slide/drift) and in the drifting motion modeled. I drove my E30 in heavy rain yesterday and it was the first time with that engine in it (~200hp/1100kg) and before I knew I felt the steering wheel lightly rotating against the direction of the turn I was taking. In what must have taken no more than 3 seconds I suddenly realized the rear had gotten lose, I was in a slight drifting motion at around 40km/h and the steering wheel was self correcting so I let it turn, gave it some more gas and the kick from the rear set the car straight at the right time and the steering wheel did its dance back into default. Due to the rear trailing arms the load change following a sudden loss of grip usually has that opposite effect on the steering in the E30 seemingly putting the car into a drift motion by default. This only really works on cars without power steering. The final kick I gave it which set the car straight and had the steering follow without required input is more common in RWD cars I guess.

How do you model that?? More asking myself than expecting an answer I could comprehend. Either way thanks a lot for all you do and don't worry about the mistakes :D.
Simply put, you plug in the stuff you know (spring rates, suspension geometry, etc) and hope the sim works...

The explanation behind that rather lame response is that behavior at the limit is completely tire model dependent, and despite having a few options to adjust slip angle drop-off, load sensitivity, and things of that nature, we're really at the mercy of the developers and the sim itself when it comes to how the tires work (AC happens to be rather good in that area).

edit: That's why even objectively super-inaccurate cars will handle decently in AC (and even in other sims, though it's easier to have something handle terribly in rFactor for example)... It makes sorting out the good from the bad that much more difficult.

^ That. We don't really work on that level as physics modders, we're just fancy configurators. We tell the sim how the real car is built as best we can (ideally) but it does the work from there.

Fortunately for me - whose background is in music and design - I don't need to know the real one and outs of the simulation. That's all a bit out of my league.

damn that looks badass, and functional. Intercooler placement is cool, but makes me wonder how you evacuate the air that passed through it.
Can't wait to send this around the track against eboos hillclimb cars and my weird creations :D

And gullwing doors always look great on race cars.
1.jpg

Looks crazy and hilarious, can't wait (looking forward to the stock version even more though!).

Looking great man, I want to see more if this! New thread?
its based upon mesh from LFS (even tho probably only 10% left of the original...), so will stay on my harddrive. More of a test balloon for all sorts of things modelling and physics.

I politely inquired about stripping the interior of the GT and adding a roll cage, that was a no-go, so I think all other bets are off. We have so many more cars to do, time is better spent elsewhere. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 72 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 77 10.1%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 49 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 106 13.9%