Cars Toyota 7 (578A)

So, I don't know if this is enough progress to warrant its own thread, but I have started making progress towards adding the infamous Toyota Turbocharged 7 (Code 578A) into AC.

This will be my first experience with any sort of modding, or 3d modelling in Max. Because of this, my modeling may not be up to par, but I hope to iron out any imperfections before I release this to you guys.

This project is certainly still in its infancy, with only the wheels and brake discs being fully modeled, while a general shape for the shell was made as of today. I didn't get the tri count for the brake disc in the image, but it totals up to 860 tris.
Disc 2.PNG
FWheel 1126.PNG
RWheel 1126.PNG

Even though it's still in its infancy, the exterior is starting to take shape. I'll be working on this more and more as time passes.
Body 12022.PNG

When it comes to sound, I've scoured the internet for months to pile anything together to throw into FMod. Since this is my first endeavor into such a thing, no progress has been made past that. I have compiled any potential sound files on a YouTube playlist that can be found here.

Physics of course are nonexistent as of now, especially because it hasn't set foot in AC yet. I plan to leave this until the closing stages of the project. I'll of course need some other opinions when it comes to ironing out any issues when it gets there. ;)

One of the last things that I am lacking, when it comes to imagery is the interior. Since Toyota is fairly protective of their vehicles, there aren't any good close up images of things such as the gauge cluster, dash, or pedals. To my knowledge, an example of the 7 is housed in the Louwman Museum, while the others are in Toyota's museum in Japan. So if any of you stop by and see any of them, all of the close ups of the interior you can take are greatly appreciated!

If you would like to see some of the images, information, or, if you would like to add something of your own, the link to the Google Drive where that is stored can be found here.

A big thanks to Gary for his mentor ship, and anyone else who helps in this endeavor to bring one of Toyota's most famous race cars to AC.

I took a few snaps of one at Goodwood quite a few years ago but I don't think they are going to be of any use unfortunately.
I'm afraid that will be the case until it comes time to make the skins for it. I might be able to take the color from that to make it spot on, but there's no harm in more pictures of this beauty!

I once looked for blueprints for this and I couldnt find them. Where did you find these?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you're talking about the orthographic references, it's actually the Gran Turismo model. I'm just using them to get a shape that's in the general ballpark, and using real photos to get it exactly where I want it after.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you're talking about the orthographic references, it's actually the Gran Turismo model. I'm just using them to get a shape that's in the general ballpark, and using real photos to get it exactly where I want it after.
Definetly everyone should be careful.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="hr"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Forza models aren&#39;t accurately scaled. In fact, a lot of the models are just recycled from previous FM.<br><br>Left model is FM7<br>Right model is GT6 <a href="https://t.co/QErwEnEskY">pic.twitter.com/QErwEnEskY</a></p>&mdash; MSK (@TheRealMisko) <a href=" ">22. travnja 2019.</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes this is Forza, but the point remains the same.

Definetly everyone should be careful.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="hr"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Forza models aren&#39;t accurately scaled. In fact, a lot of the models are just recycled from previous FM.<br><br>Left model is FM7<br>Right model is GT6 <a href="https://t.co/QErwEnEskY">pic.twitter.com/QErwEnEskY</a></p>&mdash; MSK (@TheRealMisko) <a href=" ">22. travnja 2019.</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yes this is Forza, but the point remains the same.
I'll be reference matching with some real examples before I start to get too far into the modelling process to iron out any of the inaccuracies the GT model has. It's a 15 year old model, so there's bound to be some.

Just put a rough prototype wing together, now here's a stupid question: How do I put an end plate on something like this? The end plate on the 7's wing is very 'low profile,' and follows the contour of the wing, but I have no clue how I can model that in without creating a new solid. In the meantime, I'll keep fiddling with it to get it right.
Wing End 1203.PNG

Last edited:
I'd guess one easy way is to just extrude that end face to the full width of the wing and then extrude that strip outwards to create the end plate. Or just delete those faces and add a narrow cube there.

It's been a couple days since the last update, but I've re-done the wing, since the one above was off enough to mess with camera matching it seems, or there are some other factors at play. This one (green) is a smidge under 3,800 tris, whereas the other one was around 2,800 (clay).
New Wing 1206.PNG
Wing 1204.PNG

Out of boredom, I took the 15 year old model From Gran Turismo and camera matched it with one of my reference photos, and it doesn't look too shabby for being as old as it is.
Camera Match GT.PNG

Last edited:
I agree on the wing end plate, doesn't need that many loops, but the wheel and disc combo is great as is. You'll want to use a low poly mesh for the blurred rim anyway, so on track the higher count doesn't matter much.

I agree on the wing end plate, doesn't need that many loops, but the wheel and disc combo is great as is. You'll want to use a low poly mesh for the blurred rim anyway, so on track the higher count doesn't matter much.

Alright, so I went and removed around half of the loops, deleted the side of end plate, and capped it. Since it's so small, hopefully it's scruffiness isn't too much of a problem since they protrude around 1.5mm from the wing.
Is there anything else I should change?
Wing Simplified 1210.PNG
Wing Simplified II 1210.PNG

Now, for the stupid question; on the side of the wing are these little 'dents' for a lack of better words. How do I add such a thing?
Wing Dents.jpg

Last edited:
I've reduced the amount of vertical loops to make smoothing in the end a little easier, and also started to get the shape of the side intake and the front nose into shape. I forgot to unhide the roll bar, but that is unchanged.
Toyota 7 1215.PNG

I think the nose could use a little better triangulation, but the general shape should be there.

Wing 1213.PNG

I did end up learning about boolean, so I managed to add the divots on the wing endplates. They seem a little deeper than what they are in real life, but I don't know how to fix it at the moment.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years