Total rFactor 2 newbie questions about tracks, cars, etc.

After too many Codemasters games, I have come across rFactor 2, played the demo, and loved it!
My question is, where do I start with tracks, cars, etc. What comes with the Steam package?
Any help appreciated!

On 4), I've just noticed your reply in an old thread here, so that answers that one, but 5) I still don't understand. What I was asking was, does the AI behaviour come from the car mod, or the core game? I ask this as some of the AI behaviour is horrendously stupid, e.g. slowly weaving around to warm tyres in the middle of corners during other drivers hot qualifying laps, (attempting) overtaking in tight chicanes, etc. all of which destroy a qualifying attempt or race effort. Especially as rF2 doesn't have a rewind type feature, this makes a nonsense of trying to win anything!
If it was down to the car devs rather than the core game, then that will be not so bad.

• Deleted member 130869

ISI's website still has a mini FAQ section that answers some of the questions you have. The AI line is dependent on the track and it does vary in how good it is, especially for certain kinds of cars.

The 1999 mod looks to be a straight conversion of the F1 Challenge seasons, there's no way that thing will hold up. That and the other seasons recently converted will be like that, and other areas like force feedback often aren't done well in mods.

AI behavior depends most on the track AIW. AI Waypoints.
To keep it simple: the AIW is are the racing lines of the AI.
Fast Path, Block path, left and right path. Are racing lines that are predefined by the track creator.

Coridors are set in the AIW: it defines the track limits of the AI.

AI physics are done by the car modder.

What you can do is turn down AI agression a bit, if AI tries crazy moves.

Don't know what car track combo you are using. Default cars and tracks should be OK.

Especially as rF2 doesn't have a rewind type feature
No, not a rewind feature but: "Resume from replay":
You can always load a replay and continue a race at any point in the replay.

Thanks for that. Yes, the 1999 F1 mod is a total waste of time.
My questions however don't relate to that.
Examples of what I mean are:
1) in the rather good F1 1988 mod, cars try to overtake in the middle of the chicanes, e.g. Rettifilo and Ascari chicanes, and weave to warm tyres right across the straight before Parabolica in Monza. Same at the the Acque Minerale at Imola, etc.
2) using the Nissan GT500 at Launa Seca, AI cars try to overtake at the corkscrew, and almost come to a stop at certain corners. (Not quite, but you know what I mean!)
3) the 1960s EVE cars at Spa and Monza do the same thing.
In most of the above combinations, it is pointless trying to defend your position, as the AI just decides to come barging through anyway, or straight into your back with impossible attempts at braking. All usually ends up in tears.

Examples of what I mean are:
1) in the rather good F1 1988 mod, cars try to overtake in the middle of the chicanes, e.g. Rettifilo and Ascari chicanes, and weave to warm tyres right across the straight before Parabolica in Monza. Same at the the Acque Minerale at Imola, etc.
2) using the Nissan GT500 at Launa Seca, AI cars try to overtake at the corkscrew, and almost come to a stop at certain corners.
AI issues can be resolved with an improved "AIW" and better defined "Corridors" in these troubled areas!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, so are we saying that these issues are down to the track devs? If so, then it seems like quite a common problem.
Makes using these tracks a waste of time from a competitive point of view.
Anyone any ideas on my points 1) and 2) from a few posts ago?

@imacken many of the tracks were not designed with AI use in mind, and were mostly for multiplayer use. As for the trackmap plugin with your #1 i believe out there somewhere is a trackmap manual here. For #2 the bracketed number is how many pit stops that driver has made. If there is a [1] they have made one pit stop [2] means two so on and so forth. keeping in mind there might be many numbers if drivers have taken damage and had to pit etc.

@imacken many of the tracks were not designed with AI use in mind, and were mostly for multiplayer use. As for the trackmap plugin with your #1 i believe out there somewhere is a trackmap manual here. For #2 the bracketed number is how many pit stops that driver has made. If there is a [1] they have made one pit stop [2] means two so on and so forth. keeping in mind there might be many numbers if drivers have taken damage and had to pit etc.
Thanks Daniel,
I have already looked at the manual several times and it doesn't help me. No mention (that I can see!) about how to change the zoom level of the map, and yes, it states the bracketed number represents the number of pit stops, but the number is meaningless to me. See attached grab.
How do I interpret numbers like 247, 241, etc. as the number of pit stops?

Attachments

• bx.JPG
    bx.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 157

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 240 10.7%