Torro Rosso unveils new wheel release system

It seems like Torro Rosso wil stop at nothing to gain an edge. With refueling banned there is only one place to make up time in the pits and that is through faster tyre changes.

The technical gurus had thought long and hard and came up with an automated wheel removal system whereby the driver presses a button (or is it a pedal?) which causes the wheels to pop off in an instant.

The new system was prematurely revealed at Shang Hai during free practice one on Friday when Buemi accidentally pressed the wheel release button whilst adjusting the brake balance (or was it break balance?)

Here's a video showcasing this amazing new technology:

You are right Michael. It could have been a lot worse. I was only poking a bit of fun at the situation but the truth is that the failiure raises a few concers with respect to safety.

The FIA will have to relook the specifications of the wheel tethers as ultimately the thethers should have prevented them from sperating from the car.

Buemi walked away from a crash that so easily could have resulted in broken legs ala Schumacher.

It's good then that all parties walked away from this incident and provided us with a little entertainment.

I still reckon self ejecting wheels are the next big thing in F1....

You are right Michael. It could have been a lot worse. I was only poking a bit of fun at the situation but the truth is that the failiure raises a few concers with respect to safety.

The FIA will have to relook the specifications of the wheel tethers as ultimately the thethers should have prevented them from sperating from the car.

Buemi walked away from a crash that so easily could have resulted in broken legs ala Schumacher.

It's good then that all parties walked away from this incident and provided us with a little entertainment.

I still reckon self ejecting wheels are the next big thing in F1....

Unfortuantly Tethers cant be hardend anymore as you need to allow flex. (No Flex means the tethers will rip off the car underload). They can withstand low to medium energy crashes but anything like Kubica's crash in canada or Buemi's Crash the Tethers will come off anyhow. IIRC on BBC in pracitce they said they can withstand 5000KG of force.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%