Toro Rosso in Hunt for New Driver For USGP

This is actually quite interesting, as it might be the first time in many years in F1 that seemingly no-one have a really good guess on who it'll be.

• Sebastien Buemi - while in RB already, it's apparently not something Toyota is interested in, because of the TR-Honda deal.
  • Alexander Rossi - Have denied it
  • Jolyon Palmer - Seems utterly unlikely from TR's PoV
  • Sergey Sirotkin - Would've been more logical if TR was continuing with Renault engines for 2018

Most likely TR will be looking at a rookie to get in, it was 38 drivers pre 2017 season that had enough points to enter F1. Ocon, Vandoorne, Stroll and Palmer was in F1. While Piquet Jr, Rossi, Montoya, Davidson, Webber, Nakajima, Di Grassi, Lotterer, Sarrazin and Buemi already have F1 race(s) to their name.
Then we can remove Pierre Gasly, Sirotkin, Giovanazzi, Oliver Rowland, Louis Deletraz, Charles Leclerc and Nyck De Vries from the list as well, as they are with other jr.teams (or as in Gasly's case, is the reason why they need a "random" driver).

So, from a pool of rookies, that before the season started had enough points for a Super License, and that are not connected to another team at the moment.
  • Oliver Jarvis
  • Tom Dillmann
  • Felix Rosenqvist
  • Jose Maria Lopez
  • Alex Lynn
  • Simon Pagenaud
  • Timo Bernhard
  • Brendon Hartley
  • Helio Castroneves
  • Loic Duval
  • Scott Dixon
  • Benoit Treluyer
  • Marcel Fässler
  • Romain Dumas
  • Marc Lieb
  • Neel Jani
  • Will Power
In addition to this Josef Newgarden won IndyCar in 2017, and will have 40 points. As the season is over, I am fairly sure they can make a case to get him in the car based on that.
I would narrow it down to a list of 4 possible drivers, and ranking them in order of probability in my mind.

1. Brendon Hartley - Still only 27 years, is sponsored by Red Bull on a personal level, so while not in the official Red Bull - gang of drivers, he have connection to RB. Previous test/reserve for RB and also done young drivers test for Merc. He is however under contract with Porsche still, and are one of the front-runners for the second Chip Ganassi seat in IndyCar next year.
  2. Sebastien Buemi - Much experience, well known in RB, been the reserve for RB since he got out of TR. However, Toyota isn't too happy about it per the reports. Also, TR seemingly are looking for a potential 2018 driver from it as well, and it's been clearly stated that Buemi is not an option for 2018.
  3. Neel Jani/Josef Newgarden - Jani is, together with Hartley still sponsored by Red Bull on a personal level. He is 33, and it's in these days to late for a F1 career debut, but Hill was 33 when he got his Williams-seat after a half season with DNQ's for Brabham in 92. If TR are unable to wriggle Hartley out, and Toyota refuses, Jani might have a shot.
    The same goes for Josef Newgarden. Rumours have it that Liberty Media is interested in pushing Newgarden in, and from tradition, I don't think the US-teams (Penske in this occasion) will stand in the way for it. However, I don't think Newgarden have anything to gain from jumping in to cars he's never been in, to race on a new circuit with zero testing. But PR-wise, I think Liberty Media would like it.

So... that's my guess.

This I would like to see :)

Failing that, Kubica would be fun too. Nice practice before signing the Williams contract ;)

I heard rumours that Kubica is not interested in a single race offer - mostly because he would have to give back the insurance money he got after his rally accident. He would do that only if some team could offer him a full season deal.

Isn't Delétraz only with BMW? I thought Renault dropped both him and Jörg...

I hope it's gonna be Buemi, would be nice to see him back for a few races. He's raced at Austin aswell this year.

I dunno why Toyota would hate it that much, not like they compete against each other. Not to mention Toyota messed up Buemi's FE title run...

Also, I don't think RB was being nice allowing Gasly to do Super Formula, more like Honda demanded it.

Isn't Delétraz only with BMW? I thought Renault dropped both him and Jörg...

I hope it's gonna be Buemi, would be nice to see him back for a few races. He's raced at Austin aswell this year.

I dunno why Toyota would hate it that much, not like they compete against each other. Not to mention Toyota messed up Buemi's FE title run...

Also, I don't think RB was being nice allowing Gasly to do Super Formula, more like Honda demanded it.

You might be right reg. Deletraz.

The Toyota v Honda thing is because they are rivals in Japan, I can understand that one.
Also Honda said they had no issues with Gasly doing F1 if TR was unable to find a suitable replacement.

Buemi would be fun in a comeback way, but a rookie one-off suits my taste better. Randomness, a blast from the past!

1. Brendon Hartley - Still only 27 years, is sponsored by Red Bull on a personal level, so while not in the official Red Bull - gang of drivers, he have connection to RB. Previous test/reserve for RB and also done young drivers test for Merc. He is however under contract with Porsche still, and are one of the front-runners for the second Chip Ganassi seat in IndyCar next year.
Apparently this is looking to be the most likely outcome.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hartley-toro-rosso-gasly-austin-964827/

Kubica cant do a race yet untill he has a contract, Otherwise he would have to pay back the Insurance company that paid him after his accident. (millions of money) So he wont do it untill he knows he can take care of that.

Would love to see Kubica in the car... but he has no ties to Redbull at all right?

DiResta is a Williams reserve driver so no way he'll be jumping into a TR seat anytime soon.

I reckon it will be a young up and coming Redbull signed driver from a lower or comparable series. Don't know who but it would be in their best interests for it to be an American I think.
Buemi is the best candidate really. Who knows, if he does well enough he may even finish the season with them

they can't take Gelael because he doesn't have a superlicense

Indeed, I know lists are long, boring and people will probably not read the post, but here is the list of drivers not in F1 atm, but who have enough points to get a superlicense (it will include drivers with F1 races, who would not need points to get a new superlicense).

• Alex Lynn
  • Alexander Rossi
  • Andre Lotterer
  • Anthony Davidson
  • Antonio Giovanazzi
  • Benoit Treluyer
  • Brendon Hartley
  • Charles Leclerc
  • Felix Rosenqvist
  • Helio Castroneves
  • Jose Maria Lopez
  • Juan Pablo Montoya
  • Kazuki Nakajima
  • Loic Duval
  • Louis Deletraz
  • Lucas di Grassi
  • Marc Lieb
  • Marcel Fässler
  • Mark Webber
  • Neel Jani
  • Nelson Piquet Jr
  • Nyck De Vries
  • Oliver Jarvis
  • Oliver Rowland
  • Romain Dumas
  • Scott Dixon
  • Sebastien Buemi
  • Sergey Sirotkin
  • Simon Pagenaud
  • Stephane Sarrazin
  • Timo Bernhard
  • Tom Dillmann
  • Will Power
  • Josef Newgarden (Possibly, if he is allowed to use points gained in 2017)
  • Lando Norris (Possibly, if he is allowed to use points gained in 2017)
  • Maximilian Günther (Possibly, if he is allowed to use points gained in 2017)
Then you have all former F1 drivers who have not scored over 40 points for super license over the last 3 seasons, who only needs to show that they have recently shown outstanding performance, or any other slightly random thing that FIA will accept them on.
That's the pool TR can choose from.

This is actually quite interesting, as it might be the first time in many years in F1 that seemingly no-one have a really good guess on who it'll be.

• Sebastien Buemi - while in RB already, it's apparently not something Toyota is interested in, because of the TR-Honda deal.
  • Alexander Rossi - Have denied it
  • Jolyon Palmer - Seems utterly unlikely from TR's PoV
  • Sergey Sirotkin - Would've been more logical if TR was continuing with Renault engines for 2018

Most likely TR will be looking at a rookie to get in, it was 38 drivers pre 2017 season that had enough points to enter F1. Ocon, Vandoorne, Stroll and Palmer was in F1. While Piquet Jr, Rossi, Montoya, Davidson, Webber, Nakajima, Di Grassi, Lotterer, Sarrazin and Buemi already have F1 race(s) to their name.
Then we can remove Pierre Gasly, Sirotkin, Giovanazzi, Oliver Rowland, Louis Deletraz, Charles Leclerc and Nyck De Vries from the list as well, as they are with other jr.teams (or as in Gasly's case, is the reason why they need a "random" driver).

So, from a pool of rookies, that before the season started had enough points for a Super License, and that are not connected to another team at the moment.
  • Oliver Jarvis
  • Tom Dillmann
  • Felix Rosenqvist
  • Jose Maria Lopez
  • Alex Lynn
  • Simon Pagenaud
  • Timo Bernhard
  • Brendon Hartley
  • Helio Castroneves
  • Loic Duval
  • Scott Dixon
  • Benoit Treluyer
  • Marcel Fässler
  • Romain Dumas
  • Marc Lieb
  • Neel Jani
  • Will Power
In addition to this Josef Newgarden won IndyCar in 2017, and will have 40 points. As the season is over, I am fairly sure they can make a case to get him in the car based on that.
I would narrow it down to a list of 4 possible drivers, and ranking them in order of probability in my mind.

2. Sebastien Buemi - Much experience, well known in RB, been the reserve for RB since he got out of TR. However, Toyota isn't too happy about it per the reports. Also, TR seemingly are looking for a potential 2018 driver from it as well, and it's been clearly stated that Buemi is not an option for 2018.
  3. Neel Jani/Josef Newgarden - Jani is, together with Hartley still sponsored by Red Bull on a personal level. He is 33, and it's in these days to late for a F1 career debut, but Hill was 33 when he got his Williams-seat after a half season with DNQ's for Brabham in 92. If TR are unable to wriggle Hartley out, and Toyota refuses, Jani might have a shot.
    The same goes for Josef Newgarden. Rumours have it that Liberty Media is interested in pushing Newgarden in, and from tradition, I don't think the US-teams (Penske in this occasion) will stand in the way for it. However, I don't think Newgarden have anything to gain from jumping in to cars he's never been in, to race on a new circuit with zero testing. But PR-wise, I think Liberty Media would like it.

So... that's my guess.

Thanks for that list BTW

I do remember RB unceremoniously dropping Hartley from their young driver's program (which I thought seemed unfair at the time). If I was having a raw guess, I probably wouldn't have him high as a choice, but apparently this is a thing so we'll see

Buemi seemed the most logical choice for a solid fill in if they were more clearly fighting for points in the constructors championship, but totally useless in terms of "evaluating future talent."

Overall, I think anyone who is in F2 right now (or even last season) has a major leg up just because they have been around the F1 paddock and will be more familiar with how a GP weekend works even if they are linked to another junior team. I have no evidence to support, but I'm pretty sure Alex Lynn's team (among other similar people) called to throw in a sales pitch.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back