Toro Rosso in Hunt for New Driver For USGP

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
toro rosso new driver.jpg

Toro Rosso have confirmed Pierre Gasly will not contest the Austin F1 race, leaving the Italian squad in something of a quandary with one seat still to fill.

Following the deal that will take Carlos Sainz over to his new Renault squad starting in America, and the return of the previously “rested” Daniil Kvyat from the US race onwards, Toro Rosso now find themselves in the difficult position of having to fill the second seat at the team with very little notice ahead of the race on October 22nd.

Many expected Gasly and Red Bull to preference further Formula One experience over the Frenchman’s Super Formula title aspirations, however it now appears that both driver and primary backer Red Bull have decided to give the 21-year-old the opportunity to fight for his second consecutive open wheel championship, with the Team Mugen driver just 0.5 points behind championship leader Hiroaki Ishiura heading into the Suzuka round of the series. Should Gasly secure championship honours in Japan it will be the youngsters second consecutive title, following success in the GP2 (now Formula Two) series last season.

Confirmation that Gasly will indeed continue his Japanese adventure leaves Toro Rosso in a difficult position, with very few drivers of Grand Prix experience available to parachute into the Farenza squad. It is not thought that outgoing Renault driver Jolyon Palmer is in with a shout of filling in, as Toro Rosso are expected to prefer a young talent as they assess the final line up of drivers ahead of 2018.

The team remain unavailable for comment on the confirmation of Gasly’s return to Super Formula, or who may be selected to fill in for the talented Frenchman at the Circuit of the Americas later this month.

For more from the world of Formula One racing check out our Formula One Sub Forum and get yourself involved in the community discussion today!

Who do you think should drive alongside Kvyat in Austin? Let us know in the comments section below!

Buemi. He's driven the 2017 Red Bull, he did some testing in the mule car and he has shown himself to be a very good driver in Formula E and WEC. He still races with Red Bull sponsorship on his helmet too. TBH, they should get him in, and replace Kvyat with Buemi for the rest of the season when Gasly comes back. Formula 1 and WEC do not clash for the rest of the season. Plus Buemi's raced at Mexico City twice this year already!

If Buemi isn't interested, Kubica is a good call, or someone like Giovinazzi, Leclerc, Di Resta, Palmer or Sirotkin who have experience of the 2017 cars already.
The might choose Gelael. He's driving in FP1 anyway, but I don't think he's anywhere near good enough for a race seat, and I suspect TR would think the same thing.

Outside bets would be for an IndyCar driver, such as Sato, Rossi, Chilton, Dixon, Power or new champion Newgarden. Hopefully they wouldn't go for a NASCAR driver, but they might try. All of them would have massive publicity benefits if they're racing in the US Grand Prix. A move like that would sell a lot of Toro Rosso branded merchandise at the event, and could convince extra spectators in.

So yeah, the choice is really Buemi, Kubica, Giovinazzi or an Indycar driver. Take your pick.

• Deleted member 205301

I will resume the general answer to Toro Rosso :
" Take Me !!!!!!"
@++

PS : to be honest, I really hope (fingercrossed) that they won't take Gelael...
The best choice is Alex Lynn, but honestly, i don't imagine RB calling him after fired him 2 years ago...
@++

Would love to see Kubica in the car... but he has no ties to Redbull at all right?

DiResta is a Williams reserve driver so no way he'll be jumping into a TR seat anytime soon.

I reckon it will be a young up and coming Redbull signed driver from a lower or comparable series. Don't know who but it would be in their best interests for it to be an American I think.

Buemi. He's driven the 2017 Red Bull, he did some testing in the mule car and he has shown himself to be a very good driver in Formula E and WEC. He still races with Red Bull sponsorship on his helmet too. TBH, they should get him in, and replace Kvyat with Buemi for the rest of the season when Gasly comes back. Formula 1 and WEC do not clash for the rest of the season. Plus Buemi's raced at Mexico City twice this year already!

If Buemi isn't interested, Kubica is a good call, or someone like Giovinazzi, Leclerc, Di Resta, Palmer or Sirotkin who have experience of the 2017 cars already.

So yeah, the choice is really Buemi, Kubica, Giovinazzi or an Indycar driver. Take your pick.
Yeah I also think Buemi will be the way to go, all other drivers are unlikely: Kubica isn´t willed to drive because he can only lose (no experience➡bad result) And Leclerc & Giovinazzi are Ferrari drivers plus they not just need 1 driver, for the US GP they need also a 2nd driver

Yeah I also think Buemi will be the way to go, all other drivers are unlikely: Kubica isn´t willed to drive because he can only lose (no experience➡bad result) And Leclerc & Giovinazzi are Ferrari drivers plus they not just need 1 driver, for the US GP they need also a 2nd driver
They have Kvyat for USA

I'd love to see Leclerc have a go since we know he'll be fast but he seems on a fast track to ferrari not red bull. More likely to see Geleal give it a go, heck maybe even Niko Kari haha. Buemi would be a safe bet but like as been stated already, red bull will use every opportunity to test young drivers and this one is perfect

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back