Topanga Canyon Hillclimb

Tracks Topanga Canyon Hillclimb 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
Todd K submitted a new resource:

Topanga Canyon Hillclimb - Point-to-Point run up Topanga Canyon Blvd. located just outside Los Angeles, CA.

Welcome to Topanga Canyon Hillclimb. It's a point-to-point sprint run up Topanga Canyon Blvd, a real public road located near Malibu, CA. It begins at sea level along the Pacific Coast Highway, stretching north 13 miles north through the Santa Monica Mountains to a peak of 1,500ft before dipping back down slightly to it's conclusion at Mulholland Hwy. Compared to many hillclimbs, the slope is more gradual here and there are fewer tight hairpins which results in some particularly high...

Read more about this resource...

Hey looking forward to try this out, but Assetto freezes during loading each time i attempt to start a session, Using CSP latest patch, seems to get stuck on loading "Initializing AI Spline" Thought might be issue as is a hill climb so have tried hot lap, race or practice and trying all different starting positions but just doesn't seem to work. All other tracks at moment are working on my system, so at a bit of a loss where to go from here. Do you have any suggestions?

Hey looking forward to try this out, but Assetto freezes during loading each time i attempt to start a session, Using CSP latest patch, seems to get stuck on loading "Initializing AI Spline" Thought might be issue as is a hill climb so have tried hot lap, race or practice and trying all different starting positions but just doesn't seem to work. All other tracks at moment are working on my system, so at a bit of a loss where to go from here. Do you have any suggestions?

Was like that the first time I tried it as well. Took a few minutes to initialize, but now it works fine. Give it some time?

Cool bit of road this, really enjoyed it - thanks!

There's a 10cm dip in the road surface around the bridges, gives my wheel and tactile feedback a mighty thump. Maybe look at flattening it out a bit?

I have the same issue. When it finally loads, AC crashes with a message about an issue with the AI Spline. I've tried it uphill and down. I'll try it again with a fresh download later, I know this road fairly well and am looking forward to checking out the drive.

Was like that the first time I tried it as well. Took a few minutes to initialize, but now it works fine. Give it some time?

Thanks that is actually all it needed, was more than a few minutes maybe about 5 and then loaded up correctly. Now like you say, its seems to load the track in about 10 - 20 seconds each time now.

Track takes 10 mins to load sometimes. Am i doing anything wrong? La canyons loads in a few seconds for me.

Edit: it works fine after a few tries. dunno why though.

Last edited:
Track takes 10 mins to load sometimes. Am i doing anything wrong? La canyons loads in a few seconds for me.

Edit: it works fine after a few tries. dunno why though.

For anybody else who is getting this, where it's stuck on "Initializing AI spline," do you by chance have the "AI Line Helper" app installed and active? If so, try deleting the "side_l.csv" and "side_r.csv" files from the track's hillclimb/data and downhill/data and folders.

It sounds a lot like what it did when I used that tool to merge those left and right side lines into the fast_line. I left them in there to allow editing, since you're supposed to have to hold down the SHIFT key to initiate the merge, but maybe it's unnecessarily running the merge for some of you guys.

Sorry about that! I will remove them in the next update. Can somebody experiencing this issue maybe report back and let me know if removing those files worked? Thanks!

Last edited:
This only happens for me when I start up a new version of the track for the first time. After that it loads in seconds. I do not have the "AI Line Helper" app.

Wow! Great mod. I drove it back and forth a bunch of times, so fun and immersive. This is exactly my jam, thank you for creating and sharing this :thumbsup:

Same as the posters above, the first load took forever and the subsequent loads have been quick. No AI Line Helper app here.

Road looks great (nice asphalt and yellow line textures), and feels great. Bumps are just like a real California road and the subtle elevation changes make the road feel alive. I also like how there's no "wrong way" warning so I can get to the end and turn around.

Near the end of the hillclimb/beginning of the downhill, in the tighter section on the hill, it starts to bug out a little for me--it stutters, and sometimes you can see the FPS spike really fast from like 110-130 down to 70-90. Happens whether I'm going up or downhill, and just in that section. Runs perfectly smooth with good FPS elsewhere.

The only thing that really stands out for improvement are the textures of the hillside and mountains, which are kinda low res/mushy.

I would love to put this on my server to play online. Could you do a "free roam" layout with a lot (at least 16, preferably 32) of pit boxes near the ocean?

I'm having a ton of fun with going fast with trackday cars like the X-Bow and messing around with drift cars. Such a great road!
119097983_10158256404105709_3805958665279515074_o.jpg

Fantastic mod, was literally exactly what I was looking for. As in, this specific road. I was dumbfounded when I saw the name staring back at me when I searched by recent uploads.

One thing that stood out as someone who has driven this route in real life more time than I could possibly keep track of... (or well, two things..) is that there are a few spots where groves of trees block the view in ways that they don't in real life, making those turns look completely different from how they really do. One is a long sweeping left-hander that goes around an empty parking lot for a state park in real life, and visibility there depends on being able to see through the whole unobstructed area. The other is right after the crest before the final downhill portion - on the real road, you get a very clear and unobstructed view of the valley but the view is shuttered in by trees there too.

Aside from that, nearly every detail seems 100% on-point. Looking forward to driving this over and over and over. And any chance it could be made into a freeroam? I'd love to be able to go back and forth, even just having to turn around at the ends.

Thanks guys. I'm not real sure off hand then. I'll do some asking around.
Those files are supposed to work without any additional app. It's the way the game was designed and used by its designers.
See: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...define-track-limits-for-ai.45913/#post-891664
And some posts further down it is mentioned you do not have to hold the Shift key.

So having that app or not having that app shouldn't make a difference. It's whether you have those files present or not. You could rename them so people would still be able to edit them for whatever reason.

Todd K updated Topanga Canyon Hillclimb with a new update entry:

Free roam mode with AI traffic

****NOTE: Please DELETE the previous version of the track from your tracks folder before installing this new one.

The latest update v1.2 now has two new track variations: "Freeroam" with continuously flowing two-way AI traffic, and "Race" with 30 pitboxes and a full starting grid!

The two-way AI traffic in "Freeroam" the new variation is set up to be used through the Track Day drive mode, ideally with Custom Shader Patch's "AI Flood" feature enabled to increase the volume of traffic. By...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Those files are supposed to work without any additional app. It's the way the game was designed and used by its designers.
See: https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...define-track-limits-for-ai.45913/#post-891664
And some posts further down it is mentioned you do not have to hold the Shift key.

So having that app or not having that app shouldn't make a difference. It's whether you have those files present or not. You could rename them so people would still be able to edit them for whatever reason.

Thank you! I've removed them, and have made mention of that in my most recent update.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 98 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 176 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 352 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 491 39.2%