PC1 Too much downshift stability - auto blip?

Hey guys,

Has anyone noticed that it is extremely easy to bang down through the gears? I was racing the formula ford (?) last night and I saw no instability during quick downshifts. I would expect that these cars would need to be blipped but it turns out that it doesn't really matter. In GSCE's formula vee, if you tried to bang down through the gears too quickly (especially without blipping) you would guarantee a beach visit. I have auto-clutch on but I do not see an auto-blip option. I am also pretty sure that all aids are off. Did I miss an "easy mode" setting?

On a positive note, I really love the AI in this game. It's great fun because you never know what they are going to do!

Thanks!

• Deleted member 113561

Hey guys,

Has anyone noticed that it is extremely easy to bang down through the gears? I was racing the formula ford (?) last night and I saw no instability during quick downshifts. I would expect that these cars would need to be blipped but it turns out that it doesn't really matter. In GSCE's formula vee, if you tried to bang down through the gears too quickly (especially without blipping) you would guarantee a beach visit. I have auto-clutch on but I do not see an auto-blip option. I am also pretty sure that all aids are off. Did I miss an "easy mode" setting?

On a positive note, I really love the AI in this game. It's great fun because you never know what they are going to do!

Thanks!
Okay im no expert in this subject but here what my experience after 600h are:

Most of the default setups come with stable values. That also includes the Engine Brake Mapping (which if im not mistaken are you talking about). If you lower the value you should clearly see more "instability" / rear braking which can be compensated by adjusting the Brake Balance (ie). Just watch out, you can kill the Engine more easy with lowering the value.

I hope this helped, greez :D

Hmmm...I am not sure I follow. I would expect this would be a function of the physics over a particular setup, right? I would expect to blow my engine or end up in the sand (or both) the way I am downshifting. The only way that the setup should impact the car is if the car would only allow downshifts when my RPM is low enough to be "safe" which isn't the case. I can drop 4th to 1st as fast as I click the paddles without delay.

Maybe you have some driving aid on? Check everything. But then go to a track and in setup you should see Brake Mapping setting somewhere. Lower that and see if it makes a difference as that is the autoblip setting to counter downshift lockup.

Once the tires have warmed, the Formula Rookie is much more controllable compared to GSCE Vee's. I don't know what a real Formula Ford would feel like IRL with warm tires.

I'm glad you posted this, it gave me reason to race the Formula Rookie again, haven't tried for quite some time. Had a blast in a couple races against the AI while testing. The FFB feels very good in this car (TX wheel).

Edit: Could the Formulas have rev limiters, hence the lack of blown engines? Also, some cars had received more love during development, only so much time to perfect with such a large track and car count.

• Deleted member 113561

Hmmm...I am not sure I follow. I would expect this would be a function of the physics over a particular setup, right? I would expect to blow my engine or end up in the sand (or both) the way I am downshifting. The only way that the setup should impact the car is if the car would only allow downshifts when my RPM is low enough to be "safe" which isn't the case. I can drop 4th to 1st as fast as I click the paddles without delay.
Which car are we talking about? I know that (at least in the past) you couldnt downshift sometimes in the McLaren GT3 faster because they have systems that prevent killing the engine and PCARS took that over.
Further I have no clue how you downshift.
Yes you can blow the engine by downshifting like an idiot.

Just the way this game is designed i guess... More forgiving and stable (with some exceptions) ...
In comparison to certains sims - yes. But mostly its the default setups which are made for noobs on Controllers. Lower the rear wing and it can be very unstable etc. But you can still manage to catch the rear if you start to spin out (unlike other sims/mods) and that is realistic.
Project CARS aims to be realistic. Its clear that you cant fullfil that completely today - Hardware needs to be more powerful!

I stop here, i dont want to start the discussion if PCARS Is realistic or not ....

That was my sense...and that's fine because I really enjoy the racing aspect in this game. I just want to be sure that there isn't a specific auto-blip aid setting that I was missing.
Turn off the auto clutch and turn off engine brake mapping in the car tuning menus and then try it. I know I've already spun by downshifting into second instead of fourth, but damage was off at the time so I know know what would have happened to the engine or transmission.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 235 14.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 163 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 159 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 120 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 225 14.2%