Tony Stewart under investigation

Both drivers are at fault here, [...] If Tony hadn't hit the throttle while approaching him, I might have been able to write it off as a completely unavoidable accident [...].

How can you know about that?!?! :mad: Not only power over steering makes the rear drift to the outside but also going off the throttle immediately can create over steering due to the weight transfer to the front of the car. This effect increases the less grippy the surface is.

This would mean the complete opposite of what you think is "true", because it could mean he tried to avoid him when he noticed him very late (unfortunately too late). And honestly I prefer to think this way until the opposite is proven, no matter if Ward was my brother, a friend or a man I don't know at all.

I've read many well written things here but to read words like "idiot" and some very unthought blames here at Racedepartment really disappoints me. :thumbsdown: :(

The fact that Stewart basically had to be told NOT to race the following day is all I need to know about that man's character. He was literally going to race the next day until what appears to be public pressure wondering how in the world he would be able to race after such an event, finally forced him not to race on Sunday. I can't believe he even entertained the thought of racing on Sunday after killing a driver Saturday.

Last edited:
How can you know about that?!?! :mad: Not only power over steering makes the rear drift to the outside but also going off the throttle immediately can create over steering due to the weight transfer to the front of the car. This effect increases the less grippy the surface is.

This would mean the complete opposite of what you think is "true", because it could mean he tried to avoid him when he noticed him very late (unfortunately too late). And honestly I prefer to think this way until the opposite is proven, no matter if Ward was my brother, a friend or a man I don't know at all.

I've read many well written things here but to read words like "idiot" and some very unthought blames here at Racedepartment really disappoints me. :thumbsdown: :(

He could have simply coasted down the inner lane, he had no business getting on the throttle at any point near Ward and even fellow racers say the same. And even if he saw that hiting Ward was unavoidable, do you really think it was in Ward's best interest to be struck by a Sprint car under no throttle of full throttle? Seriously, I don't understand the reasoning by some people. The video most clearly shows other avoiding Ward, Tony though surprisingly decides to hit the throttle upon approaching Ward. Interesting approach for a hot headed experienced driver I would say.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what, I do not believe this thread should be here - this is a motorsports enthusiasts forum, it is NOT a place to be arguing over a tragedy like this. I think the moderators should close it.

Cannot believe the amount of morons on social media who actually think Stewart swerved right to hit him. These guys are racing drivers not bloodthirsty murderers. Tony might be a hard racer but he sure as hell wouldn't want to kill another driver.

The guy ran down the track wearing a black suit with a black helmet on a night dirt track, Tony was blindsided, and we all know these cars don't turn down on a dime.

I do not believe Tony swerved to hit Ward but I do believe Tony was able to see Ward just fine. It was well noted that the track was very well lit and the driver in front of Tony was able to avoid Ward just fine and there was enough gap between the car in front and Tony to see Ward walking. If Tony couldn't see Ward walking on that track then he shouldn't be on the track to begin with because his eyesight is obviously ****. I still stand by my statement that Tony hit the gas for a second to scare Ward and then the unthinkable happened. I don't believe, as I've stated time and time again, that Tony had any intent of killing Ward, I just believe Tony's poor judgement to teach this guy a lesson turned out to be a tragic mistake that he'll have to live with.

Last edited:
Tony should race today at Watkins Glen.[...]Tony is right in continuing to race today; this is what real racers do

That's one more dark side to this tragedy - that some place such a low value on human life.

Real racers will not race after running over and killing a colleague.

That he even considered entering a race after what he (intentionally or otherwise) did is also tragic in itself.

The whole thing was nothing more than a tragic accident. When Peter Brock was killed , they didn't stop the event.

You don't know Tony Stewart's motivations, so you have no basis for saying this was an "accident".

What we do know from people (and drivers) who were there:
- the track was not dark and had enough light for others to avoid their colleague
- Tony S. hit the throttle upon noticing him. Then the tragic event happened

Accusing him of murder is as wrong as saying this was an accident. Hopefully, the investigation will turn out the truth.

As for Brock's death...Brock, Earnhardt sadly lost their lives during motorsports events, but neither were ran over by colleagues. This alone demands something more to be done than just saying a few words and let the "show go on".

Jordi Casademunt said:
Also, with the huge wing in the front, visibility can be severely compromised. The driver right in front of Stewart (who had a bigger gap to the previous driver) said he could barely avoid Kevin, and he should have had better visibility, so it's plausible Stewart didn't see him until the last moment.

Someone who was there and happens to be a driver (Tyler Graves) said the opposite:

I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle

Last edited:
Oh man, how can anyone else besides Stewart himself know, where Stewart was looking at in this situation???

Yellow flag was out and the speed has been reduced, so he might have been focused on anything else than driving, maybe checking instruments or something else. How could he know, that the crashed driver walks down the race track into traffic?

I honestly understand Graves emotional reaction but especially due to being a race driver he should have tought twice before raising such an accusation. It must have been clear before, that all media would quote him as an expert beeing at the scene and that such a statement would be proof enough for the majority to call Stewart a murderer.

I say being a race driver or not, being at the scene or not, no one had looked through Stewarts eyes in that moment and no one can read his mind, so all that prejudging must stop.

Stewart was probably texting his friends while under caution, possibly changing songs on his iPhone, and then saw Ward and decided to goose the throttle. Sounds plausible.

Here is one of the better explanations I've seen that was posted on Jalopnik.

I am reposting a post on Reddit by user iksbob regarding sprint cars where he explains some technical caveats
"For those not in the know, nearly all cars have what is known as a differential - a clump of gears that lets one wheel spin faster than the other, while still applying power to both. This is important because when the vehicle is turning a corner, the outside wheel follows a longer path than the inside wheel - if the wheels were forced to turn at the same speed, one would have to drag and/or skip across the pavement to make up the difference. Tires are designed specifically not to drag, skip and such (lose traction), so this would put a lot of wear on the tires, strain the mechanical bits of the car, and generally make turning more difficult... Keep turning difficulty in mind.
Unless a limited slip differential or solid axle is used, when one tire breaks traction, all the available engine power goes to spinning up that one wheel - the "peg leg" burn-out. Obviously this is a bad thing in a racing situation, and would be a frequent problem on a low-traction dirt race track. A limited slip differential would mean additional weight, complexity and cost, so they simply use a solid rear axle and drift (let both rear wheels break traction) around the corners. To compensate for this loss of traction when cornering, they use huge rear tires.

So... What happens when you combine huge tires (lots of traction) with a solid axle (difficult to turn) and reduced speed (due to yellow flag, resulting in still more traction)? The car becomes very difficult to turn (known as understeer). In fact, it would become far easier to turn by revving the engine to break the rear wheels lose (power-induced oversteer).

So, Stewart comes around the corner, the car in front of him dodges out of the way, revealing a road-raging driver running out in the track. Stewart tries to dodge: He turns the wheel and blips the throttle to get the car to rotate... To point in the right direction so when it regains traction it will miss the object (driver) he's trying to avoid. It was simply too late and/or driver too far out in the track for the physics to play out. The result? Driver gets hit by the rear tire."

Sounds like a good explanation if you're looking for an excuse to get out of any guilty activity. Still not buying that Tony couldn't see Ward, nor am I buying that it was best decision to hit the throttle. Still doesn't explain that Tony was going to drive in another race the very next day until media pressure made him decide to back out. That is NOT normal behavior for someone that genuinely feels remorse.

Stewart was probably texting his friends while under caution, possibly changing songs on his iPhone, and then saw Ward and decided to goose the throttle. Sounds plausible.

You're impertinent and disrespectful. That's the point where I usually stop a conversation. And one word later you talk about remorse. Oh dear....

Thankfully whatever happens the case will be dealt with by people who deal in evidence, and not by gut feeling. I don't think any of us can know what happened as to whether it was an accident or on purpose, and perhaps its not a good idea to argue over it here on the forum please.

You're impertinent and disrespectful. That's the point where I usually stop a conversation. And one word later you talk about remorse. Oh dear....

I'm so disrespectful towards Kevin Ward Jr. who's now dead because a hot headed driver decided to teach him a lesson. Yep, you nailed it.

Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it as you are yours.

I usually agree with you Mike but this thread I think you've a bit of line, unless you sit upon evidence that no-one else this thread does then your opinion is based on speculation not facts as far I am concerned.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion however keep it clean and respectful, from both sides. Let the people entitled to it do the judgement.

I usually agree with you Mike but this thread I think you've a bit of line, unless you sit upon evidence that no-one else this thread does then your opinion is based on speculation not facts as far I am concerned.

Kjell, I understand that others have different opinions. Its not as if my opinion is out of line, the internet seems pretty split on Tony's guilt. That being said, the facts are that he hit the throttle while approaching Ward, that is indisputable based on the video. It is my opinion that Tony had no business doing that. He is an experienced driver and should have known full well how to handle a Sprint car at slow speeds even to move the vehicle a few feet to avoid an object, in this case, Ward.

My opinion isn't going to change any verdict or punishment against Tony and sadly it won't bring back Ward from the dead. I don't even follow NASCAR or Sprint but I've seen enough in the video alone to form my judgment and it appears that many others have done the same, even fellow racers that do have experience with those cars.

Its pretty normal to rev the engine on Sprint Cars during caution laps, and I'd also say that it isn't out of the question that Tony couldn't exactly see Kevin. Considering its difficult to see out of the outside side of a Sprint Car, the lack of light on that corner and Kevin's racing gear camouflaging him well into the track.

Lastly though I just want to say that its far to prevalent in the US in a few different racing series for drivers who have been involved in an accident to stay out on the track and gesticulate to the driver they believed wronged them, you see it on a number of occasions in NASCAR races and it seems as if its almost a supported part of racing considering those moments are often featured in highlight reels.

Officials really need to clamp down on this and drivers need to get it in their head that staying on the track to wave their arms about does nothing but put them and marshals out there to help them in danger.

Yeah they really need to put an end to that. Save them from their own stupidity.

[...] but I've seen enough in the video alone to form my judgment and it appears that many others have done the same, [...]

That's the real problem - prejudice! The other problem is, that you don't form an opinion and comunicate it like that - you form a judgment without having all required facts and by ignoring other possibilties. I'd never dare that.

With an open minded approach to this video it leaves room for so many different scenarios, so one could never judge without a doubt by just watching it.

Last edited:
No prejudice at all, does anyone ever have all of the facts in a case? What if there are things that can't be proven but actually happened? What if Tony's foot slipped and hit the throttle when he meant to hit the brake. Is that not a fact because it can't be proven? I have only the facts that I've seen with my own eyes, certainly there's always more that can't be proven. I think people want to read WAY too much into this situation. Tony was an experienced driver, the victim(Ward) pissed Tony off and ironically, Tony hits the throttle right before approaching Ward. Did Tony not know how his car would react to hitting the throttle? Did Tony not realize the rear end of the car would slide towards the victim? Then there's the argument by some that Tony didn't see him although a driver right in front of Tony saw Ward just fine and avoided him without hitting the throttle, people that were there at the stadium says they all saw Ward just fine, the track was well lit, he wasn't as stealth as some would like you to think. So the question remains, was Tony not paying attention to that huge Sprint car that was sitting at the top of the track which should have meant caution, danger ahead!, or was Tony simply hitting the throttle to clean the spark plugs off for the next lap and ironically just happened to hit the throttle when approaching Ward? Do you not see how stupid these arguments are in Tony's favor?

[...]What if Tony's foot slipped and hit the throttle when he meant to hit the brake. Is that not a fact because it can't be proven? [...]

That's why I said "required facts" and by that I mean the amount of proven facts you need, to judge about someone without leaving any doubts you judged right (hopefully). That's how modern law works.

English is not my native language but I'm sure you get what I mean (if you try). I'm out!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 325 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 217 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 281 13.4%