Tom's Ketogenic Diet Thread

I'm cooking something every day (and if it's in tupper boxes that's simply because I'll eat it at work the next day) and thought it couldn't hurt to share the recipes and explain why this stuff might be good and healthy for you.

If you are diabetic, either type 1 like me or type 2, this can reduce your insulin and / or drug consumption. On normal days I require a maximum of 10-12 units of fast acting insulin - usually a single meal requires that much if you cook with carbohydrates. Most meals even more. I've often had issues with my blood sugar over the course of the years and this really helped me to be in full control of it. In all the months (since January 2013) I've only had hyperglycemia 3 times.

Also, there are alternatives for pizza, bread and the likes. You can make lots of stuff yourself, like bread with almond flour or almond butter. Obviously there are also ready-made products available but you need to be careful not to fall for either too many carbs or too much fat.

What does "ketogenic" mean?
The ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. It has a lot of health advantages compared to the standard western diet. Most people do keto because of the weight loss, but it also has other health advantages like lowering risk for heart disease, diabetes, cancer, stroke, and much more. Just follow these simple rules:
  1. Low in Carbs
    • Less than 50g/day for most people, better below 20g
  2. Moderate Protein
  3. Enough Fat
    • Majority of energy
    • Variable depending on goals of weight loss or maintenance
  4. The Right Kinds of Fat
    • Eat monos and saturates for fuel (butter, olive oil, coconut oil)
    • Limit high polyunsaturated sources (soy, corn, cottonseed)
  5. Keto Flu
    • Supplement sodium 2g/day (e.g. drink 1-2 cups of broth per day)
    • Replace magnesium to stop muscle cramps
    • Drink lots of water
  6. When in Doubt, Eat Less Carbs
  7. When in Doubt, Eat More Fat
What is the premise of a low carb, keto diet?
Low-carb diets are essentially programs that lower carbohydrate intake below 100 grams; strict ketogenic diets are a subset of low carb diets that typically only allow < 50g of carbohydrates per day. The general recommendation of /r/keto is to start with 20g of net-carbs per day. This limit does a good job of eliminating junk foods, refined carbohydrates and any other “fattening” foods.

The full premise of a keto diet is far more than just weight ratios, it is a lifestyle about overall health. The diet promotes long, intense bouts of energy, an increase in healthy, delicious food and an overall better outlook on your life. It is easily sustainable with a plethora of options and often is an answer to improving health that many people struggle to comprehend at first. A Ketogenic diet is not easy and will test your willpower but transforms the way you think and understand about yourself, food, and health in general.

How do I start and what can I eat?
Start by:
  • getting the daily carbs down to < 50g, preferrably to 20g.
  • keeping protein intake moderate, 0.6 to 1 grams per pound lean body mass. (1.3 to 2.2 grams per kg lean body mass.)
  • increasing the proportion of your diet that comes from fat,
  • increasing the amount of water you drink, and
  • upping your intake of salt, potassium and magnesium (See How do I replenish electrolytes?)
Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt and /r/keto user drclhave both written excellent, simple guides to high-fat low-carb eating.

As far what you can eat, Ketogenic diets are done differently by different people. Eat dark green leafy vegetables, fatty red meats, chicken with the skin left on, fish, offal (organ meat), eggs, seeds & nuts, full-fat dairy, or anything else you can find rich in nutrition, fat, protein and fiber.

Recommended fats are olive oil, grass fed butter, and coconut oil.

Although fiber is a carbohydrate, it is not digested as a simple carbohydrate and is therefore not included in your daily carb count. It's important to stress that fiber doesn't NEGATE carbs - it just isn't counted; so mixing a handful of flax meal into a bowl of ice-cream won't work!

What foods should I avoid?
Starchy foods and sugars are always unacceptable: grains (yes, even whole grains), bread, cereal, beans, soda, pasta, potatoes, pizza crust, beer, cookies, bagels, lollipops, honey, tortilla chips, pretzels, popsicles, crackers, and everything in between. They all have one thing in common: to your body, they’re all sugar, which breaks down into glucose in your bloodstream and causes an insulin response.

That’s right, bread is sugar. Even fancy multi-grain organic bread.

Fruit should be mostly avoided because it’s full of sugar, though some ketoers eat small quantities of berries, which have few carbs and are high in fiber.

Nearly all "low-fat" foods should be avoided; non-fat milk, reduced fat salad dressings, low-fat cheese and yogurt, etc., are full of carbohydrates Many also contain chemicals compounds where the effect on the human body is not yet well studied and could be potentially dangerous.

Don’t drink milk; use cream instead. (But watch out because cream has a ton of calories.)

At first you’ll want to track your foods to make sure you’re not unwittingly eating lots of hidden carbs. You may be shocked at how much sugar you have been eating without knowing it, in salad dressings, sauces, packaged foods, etc.

The complete FAQ can be found on reddit!

I'm aiming for specific maximum values each day but less is almost always better. Salad etc. is always fine.
  • 1247kcal Daily Calorie Intake (least important if it's higher)
  • 23g Carbohydrates (7%) (most important if it's higher)
  • 120g Protein (38%) (should be around that)
  • 75g Fat (55%) (shouldn't be way more)
Recipes
There's lots of relatively simple stuff, most meals can be cooked in 10-20 minutes. Don't be afraid of all the fat, it'll get burned instead of carbohydrates - so fat is a good thing. :)

Lunch / Dinner
Sausages with mushroom sauce & mixed vegetables
Cheese sausages with broccoli and mushrooms
Ham rolls with cheese and roasted chicken breast
Pork steaks with asparagus and tzatziki
Pork & cauliflower lasagna (~800g)
Cheese pizza with minced meat, mushrooms and onions
Cauliflower Pizza with emmentaler, chorizo and onions
Burger Patties with Bacon

Breakfast
Pancakes

Salads
Salad with eggs, mozzarella, chicken breast and parsley

Sausages with mushroom sauce & mixed vegetables
  • sausages (172g)
  • frozen vegetable mix (i.e. Mexican style) (173g)
  • ready-made mushroom mix (i.e. Bonduelle "Normandy Style" etc.) (153g)
  • salt, pepper, hard cured garlic (all optional)
  • olive oil (no sunflower oil and remember to get the oil out of the pan before adding the mushrooms, so after the sausages are well done)
Cook sausages in a pan with olive oil. Cook vegetables in a small pot for 2-3 minutes (add some water first) and steam the veggies for another 8-10 minutes. Once sausages are well done remove the oil from the pan (but leave the sausages in there) and add the mushroom mix, cook for another 5-6 minutes. Add seasoning as you like.

vLToP6V.jpg

Carbohydrates: 15.32g (mushroom mix: 2.6g /// vegetable mix: 11g /// sausages: 1.72g)

Fat: 58.8g (mushroom mix: 4.9g /// vegetable mix: 9.2g /// sausages: 44.7g)

Calories: 735 (mushroom mix: 78 /// vegetable mix: 150 /// sausages: 507)

Salad with eggs, mozzarella, chicken breast and parsley
  • eggs (2 small ones should suffice, 77g)
  • roasted chicken breast (96g)
  • mozzarella (136g)
  • salad (94g)
  • parsley (just a few grams)
  • ready-made dressing (I'm using this one)
Pretty straight forward: cut the eggs in slices, same for the mozzarella. Preferrably the chicken breast should be sliced or cubed as well, obviously.

nC6dcgy.jpg

Carbohydrates: 5g (salad: 0.9g /// eggs: 0.4g /// roasted chicken breast: 0.0g /// mozzarella: 1.6g /// parsley: less than 0.1g /// dressing: 2.0g)

Fat: 38.52g (salad: less than 0.1g /// eggs: 7.7g /// roasted chicken breast: 6.22g /// mozzarella: 24.3g /// parsley: less than 0.1g /// dressing: less than 0.1g)

Calories: 615 (salad: 13 /// eggs: 107 /// roasted chicken breast: 158 /// mozzarella: 322 /// parsley: ~5 /// dressing: 10)

Cheese sausages with broccoli and mushrooms
  • sausages (150g)
  • cheese, preferrably gouda (96g)
  • broccoli (186g)
  • frozen mushroom mix (100g)
  • olive oil (no sunflower oil)
Cook the sausages in a pan, don't forget to slice them open - that way they'll be liked grilled. Once well done put a slice of cheese around each of them and nuke it for around 45-60 seconds, depending on your microwave. Meanwhile put the broccoli and frozen mushroom mix in a small pot and add water, cook it for a few minutes and then steam it for another 6-8 minutes. Add seasoning as you like. Be careful with your dinner tho, this thing is heavy.

It's looking pretty stupid since I had to use a bigger tupperware box, it looks like this fresh out of the microwave.

d97m4TW.jpg

GHZyFKB.jpg

Carbohydrates: 9.3g (sausages: 1.5g /// cheese: 0.0g /// broccoli: 4.3g /// mushrooms: 3.5g)

Fat: 70.7g (sausages: 39.2g /// cheese: 29.4g /// broccoli: 1.7g /// mushrooms: 0.4g)

Calories: 900 (sausages: 445 /// cheese: 356 /// broccoli: 71 /// mushrooms: 28)

Keep posting this Tom! :)

Do you use alcohol in your cooking?

I might need to get those sausages replaced with tofu franks.
No alcohol, no. Alcohol is bad for your blood glucose, let alone weight loss. If your body is busy burning alcohol it doesn't have any time left to burn fat. :)

The only "alcoholic" stuff I'm using is ready-made mushroom mix, yet a different style to the one used in the recipe above. However, due to the apple wine being cooked it's no actual alcohol anymore, it merely changes the taste.

007060.jpg

Ham rolls with cheese and roasted chicken breast
  • 3 slices of ham (pork) (150g)
  • roasted chicken breast (150g)
  • 3 slices of Gouda (100g)
  • grated Emmentaler cheese (60g)
  • Ktipiti (I prefer the pre-made one from Blini)
Make small rolls, as shown below, and put the chicken in the center, some cheese underneath and the ham around everything. Put grated Emmentaler on top and nuke it for around 2 minutes, maybe a bit more. Add Ktipiti to your plate and you're done.

9nevVl1.jpg

JrkUjsP.jpg

Carbohydrates: 2.9g (cheese combined: 0.0g /// ham: 1.4g /// roasted chicken breast: 0.0g /// Ktipiti: 1.5g)

Fat: 76.4g (cheese combined: 46.2g /// ham: 10.5g /// roasted chicken breast: 10.1g /// Ktipiti: 9.6)

Calories: 1153 (cheese combined: 572 /// ham: 220 /// roasted chicken breast: 255 /// Ktipiti: 106)

Pork steaks with asparagus and tzatziki
  • 3 pork steaks (200g)
  • asparagus (200g)
  • Tzatziki (I prefer the pre-made one from Blini) (50g)
This one is really easy but filling and very low on calories, carbs and fat. Simply roast the steaks in a pan without adding oil, butter or anything else and don't forget to add seasoning before roasting them.
Meanwhile cook the asparagus in a pot of water, add a little bit of salt to the water (your body needs the minerals contained in the table salt) and cook them for 8-12 minutes. Leave the steaks in the pan (do not make charcoal, tho) in the pan so that they're getting brown'ish.

X7iexKC.jpg

Carbohydrates: 5g (steaks: 0.0g /// asparagus: 3.7g /// tzatziki: 1.3g)

Fat: 13.8g (steaks: 8.0g /// asparagus: 0.3g /// tzatziki: 5.5g)

Calories: 360 (steaks: 248 /// asparagus: 36 /// tzatziki: 76)

indeed - looking delicious but I am a bit skeptical about some recipts, there is just too much meat included :redface:

keep posting, definitely worth a look and maybe I try something soon (the salad sounds and looks delicious, epect for the meat) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Meat isn't bad, fat isn't bad - but I can certainly understand that it seems weird to lose weight / improve your health by eating meat. It's the mix of carbs and fat that's bad. This guy ("Not all macronutrients are created equal") described it pretty well. :)

Pork & cauliflower lasagna (~800g)
  • 400g pork steak (lean)
  • 150g grated Emmentaler
  • 500g cauliflower
  • pepper, hard-cured garlic, chili pepper, parsley, salt
So I really wanted to make lasagna but was I supposed to circumvent the carbs? Well, I'll tell you how. Side-note: I made this because my hand-held blender couldn't blend the cauliflower, thus preventing me from making cauliflower breadsticks.

Start by roasting (thoroughly) and seasoning the pork (cut it into strips) in a pan. It should be brown'ish when you take it out. Meanwhile cook / steam the cauliflower. Afterwards prepare a casserole dish and place some grated cheese in there - it should be grated so that it can easily melt together later on and create some sort of lasagna dough. I've seasoned the "dough" with some pepper but that's up to you. Afterwards place the pork and the cauliflower on the "dough".

ryHRPv4.jpg

Pour some cheese on top of it so that the top and bottom can melt together. Don't forget to pour some water over the whole thing or it'll probably get very, very dry. It took my oven around 25 minutes at 125°C to get the job done. Add some chili pepper on top and voila, bon appetit.

FgGiAIK.jpg

The nutritional values per 100g can be found below. Please keep in mind that a usual serving will be around 300g but it's still very low on carbs (and thus sugar), fat and calories but high on protein.

toBlfKO.jpg

(Yes, I know that it says "Loin" - the one I picked on MyFitnessPal is the same one that's being sold as "Lean" in France. It's a lean loin pork steak, so to say. ;))

Cheese pizza with minced meat, mushrooms and onions
  • 120g minced meat (well done, equals ~140g raw minced meat)
  • 200g grated Emmentaler
  • 50g chopped onions
  • 75g mixed mushrooms
  • 25g mashed tomatoes
  • pepper
So I found this recipe on the internet (I slightly altered it) and it really made me think: can this replace a real pizza? Yes, yes it can.

Start by putting the grated emmentaler into a casserole dish or, even better, a pizza baking tin. I couldn't find the latter one, although I'm sure we have one, so I went with the casserole dish. Make sure to put some pressure on it, so that the cheese is firmly put together. Should take 5-10 minutes to get a solid base, 200°C.

Meanwhile prepare the topping. Thoroughly roast the minced meat and add some pepper - also keep in mind that minced meat will lose weight, so if you're using 120g of raw meat you'll end up with less meat in the end.

Once the base is well done, should be a little brown'ish on the sides but not in the middle, put the mashed tomatoes on there and add the minced meat next. This provides the best base, I believe. Afterwards add onions and mushrooms and put it back into the oven for 5-10 minutes at 200°C, once more.

yH72Ent.jpg

The nutritional values can be found below, the ingredients listed above result in around 270g of "pizza". It's low on carbs (keep in mind, fiber is a good sort of carb - so it has like 5g of carbs in~270g) and very tasty, I strongly recommend everyone to give this a shot even if you're not into keto at all.
ADtk149.jpg

Cauliflower Pizza with Emmentaler, Chorizo and Onions
  • 300g cauliflower (uncooked weight)
  • 160g grated Emmentaler
  • 50g chopped onions
  • 25g mashed tomatoes
  • 7 slices Chorizo
  • 1 medium sized egg
  • Italian seasoning
Finally: PIZZA! The "dough" is made out of cauliflower, cheese and an egg. You'll need a food processor for this, so you might want to see if you have one before you start.

First of all you need to make the "dough". Put the cauliflower into the food processor and shred it. It should look like snow in the end and you need to get as much water out of it as you can, this will prevent the pizza from getting too flexible.

5wU3jmV.jpg

Afterwards put everything into a big bowl, add 100g of grated emmentaler and the egg. Thoroughly mix everything together until it feels like real dough. At this stage you should also add the Italian seasoning, so that you don't have to put it on top. Once it's all mixed it should look like this on a baking plate.

LSPQETJ.jpg

Now bake the "dough" for ~10 minutes @ 200°C. It needs to be a little brown before you add any toppings. Once it's well done add the mashed tomatoes and the toppings and bake for another 8-10 minutes @ 200°C.

DQ69qlY.jpg

The nutritional values can be found below, the ingredients listed above result in around 400g of "pizza". It's low on carbs (keep in mind, fiber is a good sort of carb - so it has like 8g of carbs in ~400g).

ycDlTIt.jpg

Pancakes (seriously)
  • 60g Philadelphia Classic
  • 2 eggs (~100g)
  • 4-5 strips of bacon (should equal 25-30g after it's been cooked)
  • 2g ground cinnamon
  • 1 to 2g Truvia (or another Stevia product, make sure to buy one with Erythritol)
  • 5g butter (for the pan)
Put everything, minus the butter and the bacon, into a bowl and mix (preferrably with a mixer) it thoroughly for around 2 minutes. You can leave out the cinnamon (it really tastes a lot like cinnamon in the end) if you want to put sausages or bacon on it. I'm having bacon as a side dish, so I enjoy sweet pancakes.

That's pretty much it, heat up your pan and melt the butter - what you got should be enough for 4 medium to big pancakes. Just a word on the Truvia / Stevia: there are lots of variants out there but there are only a few really good products.

They contain sugar alcohol (that's not related to real alcohol, so you can use that stuff absolutely guilt-free Mohammed Abidi) and only Erythritol and Mannitol are extremely low carb. You can read up on that here, there's a table for all types of sugar alcohols and their effect.

UrbUqVG.jpg

The nutritional values can be found below but keep in mind that although they're low on carbs you shouldn't eat them all day long. I have not included the butter and the bacon since you don't necessarily have to use butter and the bacon isn't part of the pancakes themselves. It's just easier to get them out. :)

YXoprE9.jpg

Burger Patties with Bacon
  • 1000g minced meat
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 60g bacon
  • some parsley
  • 100g chopped onions
  • seasoning (i.e. Italian seasoning & ground garlic (30g is just an estimate, I didn't use a scale))
  • some butter for the pan
Right, so the idea behind this is to have bacon within the patties. First of all you'll want to cook the bacon until it's really well done and chop it into tiny bits, I simply used my hand-held blender. Now mix everything together and knead the mass until it has a clay-like consistency. Now form 12 patties of roughly the same size.

MtG4eQ2.jpg

Since this is minced meat you really need to make sure that it's well done, I think I left them in the pan for like 10-15 minutes. You should eat them within 2-3 days or, even better, quick-freeze them after they have cooled down.

rH2SuPT.jpg

Each piece has 1g of carbs, which is a lot less than patties from the supermarket (most of them have 9-10g of carbs per 100g) and they have bacon in them! Perfect, uh? Well, for most people.

EB442wG.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back