Max race distance: 27 / 23 laps
Estimated end of event: 20:40 GMT

Racing Club rules and License info: click here
Teamspeak password:
click here
Teamspeak installation guide: click here

Notes

This event
  • New event archetype: 'Tom & Jerry' - for clarification see desciption below in post #3.
  • Special Sign up process - for clarification see description below in post #3.
  • This event has a minimal number of 10 participants (5 groups of 2) to take place.
  • Two phased Qualifying - for clarification see description below in post #3.
  • Make sure you read & understood all Notes and the Clarification in post #3 about the event before signing up.
  • Time of day will be set at 14:00h.
  • Standing Start for the race.
  • Race distance aimed at 27 laps for the BMW Z4 GT3 and 23 laps for the BMW 1M.
  • Enabled grip dynamics - the track will gain grip very quickly.
  • Enable 'show names' (CTRL+L) during the race to discern your partner from other drivers.
In general
  • Server will be up, close to or at 18:00 GMT.
  • Booking starts at 18:00 GMT.
  • Sign out before 17:30 GMT, if you don't know for certain you can participate in this event or can't book in time.
  • Passwords are sent via private message before or at 18:00 GMT.
  • Penalties will be enabled during this event.
  • Mechanical damage set to 0%.
  • Tyre wear & degradation set to 100%.
  • Fuel consumption set to 90%.
  • Flash your lights to inform slower cars they are about to be lapped and/or call out on teamspeak.
  • Make a new post for a better overview, if you do need to sign out.
  • It is strongly encouraged to be present in teamspeak, as this serves a multitude of objectives: a place to be on the same page during the event and to pick up important information, if needed and to simply converse with one another and to build a sense of community.
  • If you don't want to be disturbed during a qualifying lap, you may turn off your mic/headphones, albeit please remember to enable them again afterwards - especially before the race starts. You will have plenty of time to do so in the transition between the Qually and Race session.
  • To ensure a level playing field, set the ambient temperature to the default 26°C - example.
  • Check & load up your Race-setup after Qualifying, if you have one and choose a suitable tyre type & fuel load for the race.
  • In order to limit the display of plane white car liveries during our races, please click here - rules are included.
  • If you just want to inform youself about car setups or you are truly ambitious it, I got you covered as well: click here.
  • If anything goes wrong with the server, please leave here a message immediately.
  • Our racing clubs are foremost meant to gain online experience, so please help other drivers out when they have questions about the event, car, track, setup or a particular combination. This is not a league race, it's not about who wins, it is meant to be fun.

Priority access
If the number of sign-ups exceeds the max number of participants, premium members are going to be given priority access for this event.

If you haven't already
Buy Assetto Corsa directly from the RD Store for € 29,99.

Entry list

uneven numerals: BMW 1M
even numerals: BMW Z4 GT3
Partners are listed in succession
  1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -
  11. -
  12. -
  13. -
  14. -
  15. -
  16. -
  17. -
  18. -
  19. -
  20. -
  21. -
  22. -
  23. -
  24. -
  25. -
  26. -
  27. -
  28. -
  29. -
  30. -

UTP:

Last edited:
Tips and Tricks section
(comprised of factual information and personal racing experience)

These cars

BMW 1M
  • -
  • -
  • -
BMW Z4 GT3
  • -
  • -
  • -
This track
  • -
  • -
In general
  • A turn is defined by a 'Change in direction'.
  • Take a look back and to the sides of your car at the starting grid before the race - make sure your steering wheel and your tyres are facing the right direction.
  • Be sure to practice race starts with cold tyres to get a clean and fast getaway from the grid - this is also a safety issue to avoid spins and accidents right after the lights go out.
  • You may also share your setups with a short description in the 'Assetto Corsa Setups' forum.
  • Be careful during overtaking and give your fellow drivers enough room to maneuver.
  • Make sure you are sufficiently far alongside the car you want to overtake before committing to a move. Additionally, be sure your fellow driver sees you and is aware/can sense/can predict where you are /where you will be in the next couple of seconds. This will massively reduce unnecessary contact and clumsy accidents.
  • The virtual rear mirror (press F11), the red triangles at the corners of your screen pointing at a close car and a regular look back (map a button) will help you with that.
Track map

fuji.png

2012 version - map is acurate (with chicane T10, T11)

Last edited:
Clarification on this event
(I'm fully aware of the text size, I want to explain the event in detail to make sure everybody fully understands it.)

In general
In this archetype of a 'Tom & Jerry' event, the driver in the faster, more advanced car tries to 'catch' the driver in the slower one. To 'catch' means here in a racing context 'to lap' somebody. This is done with two drivers, one in the faster, one in the slower car. The partners are required to find one another, to choose which car each of them is going to drive and to pay close attention during the race to count how many times a 'lapping' took place. If the driver in the faster car can lap his/her partner the required amount of times by the end of the race, he/she wins - if that wasn't the case, the driver in the slower car wins. In that sense, both cars are equal in that respect - their outright difference in HP & aerodynamics is minimized.

With the cars above, this will happen once every ~5,86 laps of the slower car, on the basis of similar car setup quality and performance of both drivers. For a longer and more tense racing experience, the faster car has to lap the slower one not once, but four times. Over the distance, the slower car has to do 23 laps and the faster one 27 laps.

This is the first event of this new archetype. The idea itself was two weeks in the making, cars, track and laptimes were tested and I hope it is well thought out. I'll answer any questions you might have to the best of my ability. Please hold on to your suggestions to change / to improve this type of event after the race is over, in order to avoid confusion and a long discussion. Please keep this thread tidy for a better overview, until the sign up period expires.

• Find your partner either behind the scenes via PM or write a message with "Looking for partner" or "LFP" here in the thread with the car you want to drive, if you've decided on the car already. Please answer and converse then via PM to keep this thread tidy. If you found your partner, please edit your initial message with "found one" or something similar to indicate that your call has been answered.
  • If you and your partner want to sign up, write a "Sign up" in the post with names of both drivers and which car will be driven by whom.
  • Your partner has to acknowledge this sign up message by quoting it and writing "I acknowledge" / "I confirm" or similar. As you know, sign ups have a serious nature and serve as evidence in case a driver doesn't show up for an event.
  • Only with confirmation from both drivers will the lineup be added to the Entry list.
  • If you need to change your driver lineup / car choice or need to sign out, please write that with a clear message as well.
Booking
  • Normal booking procedure as usual, however
  • make sure you book with the car you've chosen during the sign up process.
Qualifying
  • Two stage Qualifying for this event. Reason is to split the two types of cars with massive difference in performance to reduce the amount of cars that are driving on the track at the same time and to eliminate the slower cars to get in the way of the faster ones.
  • Both Qualifying phases will be done in the same server session.
  • Drivers of the slower car go first and must finish their Qualifying at 19:25 GMT.
  • Drivers of the faster car are free to start their Qualifying after 19:25 GMT.
  • I expect all drivers of the faster car to start ahead of the quickest driver in the slower car.
Race
  • You race primarilly against your partner, not against your fellow drivers in the same car.
  • Pay close attention during overtaking one of the slower cars - look at their names, if that's your partner, count an overtake on him.
  • The same principle applies to drivers who are being overtaken.
  • Use the space and width of the racetrack to overtake savely.
  • Flash your lights or make a call on Teamspeak, if your overtaking maneuver is not obvious right away.
  • There will be enough "RACE_OVER_TIME=" to play this game out.
What to look out for
  • Make sure to enable 'show names' (CTRL+L) during the race to distinguish your partner from other drivers.
  • Use "Look back" if you are not sure you've just lapped your partner or not.
  • The liveries for the BMW 1M are limited to only three (default), the variety of liveries for the BMW Z4 GT3 is much larger, use that to discern at least one of your partners from your fellow drivers.

Last edited:
This looks interesting Georg, I will confirm later, not sure of the RL agenda.
Sad to see this is not attracting much attention at the moment, hope it picks up. I can see a lot of work has gone into this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it did.

Sadly, due to lack of sign ups this event has been cancelled.
You are welcome to offer advise, suggestions to modify the mechanics behind this event.
I think that this is one of those that needs a decent lead up time. Maybe teaser/test/trial on a shorter track and shorter distance.
Maybe run some normal races with these cars (muti class events) on the proposed track/s, get folks used to the track/car combo rather than spring a new track with a new event!

I did several laps each with both cars, had a tough time with both of them, not enough time on the track, not enough time with the cars. Tell you the truth I would have had a hard time if it were tomorrow and together with RL a bit busy this week.

It is a shame that this event had to be cancelled. I don't know why people did not sign up, but here my pros and cons to register, in case feedback is appreciated by OP.

Reasons to sign up:
* It is Wednesday, I usually race on Wednesdays.
* Seems interesting and different.
* The Z4 GT3 is a car I am familiar with and I enjoy driving.

Reasons not to sign up:
* Complicate system, I am not sure abut all this counting how many laps I have to lap a specific driver, what if I don't see him while I lap him because he is in the grass?
* I need to find a partner to race.
* Fuji is a track I don't have and I don't have much time to practice or learn it since the event was announced.
* Nobody has sing up yet.
* I can not drive the 1M, that thing just hates me.

It is a shame that this event had to be cancelled. I don't know why people did not sign up, but here my pros and cons to register, in case feedback is appreciated by OP.

Reasons to sign up:
* It is Wednesday, I usually race on Wednesdays.
* Seems interesting and different.
* The Z4 GT3 is a car I am familiar with and I enjoy driving.

Reasons not to sign up:
* Complicate system, I am not sure abut all this counting how many laps I have to lap a specific driver, what if I don't see him while I lap him because he is in the grass?
If you're ok with a slow Jerry partner (driving 1M), i'm in (when another chance comes up). Pretty much every car hates me, so nothing new to me.
If the system is too complicated, i guess this can be done within API if someone has the time to write the code.

No race today so? :(
I didn't really go over the rules, I was going to sign up but now that I see I needed a partner I guess last minute sign up wouldn't have worked.

I'd say if the mods found 4-5 regulars (number five can be looking for a partner to highlight the process) who would put their names down straight away so people don't see a blank sign up sheet they might be more inclined.

If it's delayed for another week people might sign up over the week, maybe find some way of promoting it so people know it's a different style of racing. I'm usually busy with a Men's Shed group on Wednesdays though so will have problems with that day.

If you're ok with a slow Jerry partner (driving 1M), i'm in (when another chance comes up). Pretty much every car hates me, so nothing new to me.
If the system is too complicated, i guess this can be done within API if someone has the time to write the code.
Yeah, I will be happy to chase you down with my shiny Z4 next time ;)

Regarding to the event, maybe a way to simplify it would be to make 2 groups (e.g., 1 team have Z4s and the other the 1M). Normal qualification but for the race the faster cars stay in the grid until the group of slower cars reach the start of the finish straight. Faster cars race to catch up with the slower ones, slwo cars race to finish before being catched. Obviously the race length will have to be adjusted to not to give to much advantage to one over the other group.

Instead of ranking individual racers, you give 1 point to each of the top 12 racers (around half the field). The team with more points wins. This would encourage each group to race not for individual interest but for the interest of the team, so faster riders can wait for slower ones in order to give them a tow with the slipstream, avoid risky manoeuvres with other cars of your group etc.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 86 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.7%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 321 27.7%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 455 39.3%