DiRT Rally 2.0 Today's Dirt Rally 2 Update Including VR: What a Disaster!

.......and that's putting it kindly! :mad:

FWIW - my VR Headset is a Samsung Odyssey+ (WMR). So, where do I begin?......

1. When in VR at the main menu, there is no mouse support. I try to select "Freeplay" with the mouse = nothing. Tried selecting "Freeplay" using arrow keys - also nothing. So, I can't select "Freeplay", which is what I've always used in DR 2.0.

2. In Steam, when clicking on "Play" for DR 2.0, it automatically loads Steam VR and wants to use my VR headset. So, I'm back at square 1 (see above). I have found no way to load DR 2.0 into single screen mode anymore. It might work to unplug my headset altogether, but I'm not about to that just for this one sim when others such as AC, RRE3 etc give me a choice at start-up between VR and single screen. Why can't DR 2.0 be designed to work this way as well.

I'd love to comment upon in-game VR performance, but can't get there. At this point I'd be happy to stick with single-screen instead, but can't get there either.

Thanks loads, CM, for making DR 2 unplayable in both VR and single screen for me <sarcasm> :mad:

That's not VR-support, that's VR-theater-mode and to call the performance horrible is an understatement. I actually got a map loaded with my Odyssey and after about 100 m i killed DR2 and will never try to run this crap in VR again. For not launching VR anymore it should be enough to put "-nohmd" in the Steam start-options*
*Edit: it doesn't, see #7

Last edited:
A few false starts trying to get it to run in the HMD, on my 1060 I have had to set graphics to ultra low, but it plays nice, a real sense of a car being bounced around.
I notice the Oculus version appears to be full price without the Deluxe season pass, the bare bones version can be picked up for half price for the Steam version.

After some tweaking I got my Vive to run smooth enough for now using an i5-6660K and 1070Ti, the ground cover, crowds and shader detail seem to be the FPS killers, at least for me. I have them on low and then I'm able to boost car/track quality without losing any FPS at least.

Downloading now.

Does Dirt Rally 2.0 come up using Revive properly without any modifications?

With Dirt Rally 1.0 I had to do the following to get it to work.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comme...a84g/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

I'm hoping that my 9900K + 1080Ti with Index will work well enough. However I put Dirt Rally 1.0 down to 80fps to get it to be perfectly reliable. At 90fps and 100% it ran well most of the time unless there was crash or something. I can run 120fps in iRacing and PC2 for comparison.

...... For not launching VR anymore it should be enough to put "-nohmd" in the Steam start-options.

Perhaps that should be enough, but that didn't work for me. I had to edit a config file to change "VR enabled" from "true" to "false" and that did the trick for me - No VR but at least it works on single screen again.

Last edited:
Just got mine installed. VR came right up.
I got my NLRv3 and SimHub connected.

But.... I can't start a race. I see a note to hold hand brake and I'm stuck there.

I verified that I had my hand brake calibrated with a decent margin for dead zone so it shouldn't be triggering anything. I read about earlier complaints for this same issue.

Maybe there is a place in Dirt Rally to adjust the hand brake???

OP here again .... Since I trashed the VR implementation in my opening post of this thread, it's only fair that I follow up now that I've gotten VR to "work" for me.

What did I do? I followed the simple advice in this video (YMMV)

The results? - Yes I got VR to work, but it's quite stutter-y even when I lower the graphics settings.

The positives?
1. VR does work now, and
2, By simply de-activating Steam VR before starting up DR 2, it plays normally on a single screen again too. No need to edit a config file or need to unplug VR Gear to switch between VR and single screen anymore, etc.

FWIW, Steam updated DR2 again since the VR release was downloaded. So perhaps that fixed some of the problems - but the video advice certainly helped too.

So, things re looking better, but there's still room for improvement wrt performance IMO.

2, By simply de-activating Steam VR before starting up DR 2, it plays normally on a single screen again too. No need to edit a config file or need to unplug VR Gear to switch between VR and single screen anymore, etc.

How do you deactivate Steam VR?

I tried the Option "-vrmode Oculus"
SteamVR still starts in the background.

When i close steam VR, DR2 will also be closed.
There is still no mouse support.
If I want to play with XBox controller instead of steering wheel this also does not work. The interface does not react to keyboard or controller without the steering wheel.

What a crap for a AAA Game!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 316 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 217 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 158 7.7%
  • < 5 years