TOCA 2 Touring Cars

Warren Dawes

Premium
This one is probably too old for most of you here, but while cleaning up, I found my old TOCA 2 Touring Cars disk and decided to see if it would still work with my current rig.
Yes, it actually worked, although the FFB was rather limited on my G25. This was the game that really got me started with Sim Racing (a long time ago now) and was the one that put Codemasters on the map. It was excellent for it's time, and still seems reasonable even now, but sadly Codemasters lost the plot over time as they concentrated more on platforms.

Anyway, it was a nice trip down memory lane to give it another go, and we still don't have an "official" BTCC series these days. Pity.

This game was my love !!! :love: . As yours, my first simracing game. It's championship mode was amazing. I remember wasting my hours for just passing the Brands Hatch Round. At last i had managed it with Honda Accord ( My Favorite on that game). That was really tough. AI was awesome!! And that was so nice that you can play up to 4 players on split screen. Crazy fun with family and friends :D. Old games were always paying attention for Offline Multiplayer. How is now ?! Even Playstation 3 loses it :(

Thank God my CD is still in one piece so that i still play it. Let's open A racing Club For this game ? :D

Here are some screens
toca2.jpg

toca206.jpg

toca2_ss5b.jpg

toca2_ss7b.jpg

And a Video !

would you believe i still have a copy of that one lying here still sealed and unopened :woop:

What!!!! How could you possibly not have opened up this one, it was a classic in it's day.
Like Omer, I spent countless hours in the Championship mode, it was very immersive and the AI was very challenging (and maybe still better AI than many of the "modern" racing sims.

What!!!! How could you possibly not have opened up this one, it was a classic in it's day.
Like Omer, I spent countless hours in the Championship mode, it was very immersive and the AI was very challenging (and maybe still better AI than many of the "modern" racing sims.

i think at the time i used to download a lot of hooky software and use them and if i liked the game then i bought it and for some reason just never got around to ever needing to use the original disk

This game have mods ? Or anyone knows how can i change AI names and liveries ? :) Right now i'm addicted to this again. Playing an expert Championship with Honda. Reaaaly hard. Still stucked at the Brands Hatch :(

The first ToCa game was one of the first games I actually ever played in my life. Loved the first 2. Along with the first two Colin McRae games, really brings back some fun memories :D

I too still have this game on CD.

Sadly though, i think theres a scratch in the wrong damn place, because it fails to install half way through saying theres some file missing.....bugger!

Nevermind, at least i have the memories :)

This game have mods ? Or anyone knows how can i change AI names and liveries ? :) Right now i'm addicted to this again. Playing an expert Championship with Honda. Reaaaly hard. Still stucked at the Brands Hatch :(

Hey Omer. I drive Toca2 in a light-green DTM Mercedes, which i got from a good friend. And i also drive a Ford Mustang in a black and white police outfit. If you or anyone else want to play this game again, look here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/other-pc-racing-simulations/1338-dtm-race-driver-2-a.html

Hey Thomas, this is not the game which is DTM Race Driver 2. This is a very old game based on BTCC 1998 season. And unfortunately i don't have DTM Race Driver 2. :frown:

Oh boy, this was such a great game. One of the first games I played when we finally got a new computer in 1998. Wew ere working on an old 80486 from 1992 or so until then. I could play it full detail, split screen @ 1024*768 (max res of the 15" monitor). It was also the first game I played with a steering wheel in 1999 until Sports Car GT came here.

As for DTM2, it killed my DVD burner. Thanks to Starforce.. The DTM2 cd was killed as well btw.. Fortunately the game cost me only 2 euro, and a new burner cost 15 euro, while the one we used until then cost 70 euro in 2003.

I will try to find my TOCA2 cd :D hehe

toca4.jpg

0020.jpg

toca5.jpg

toca9.jpg

You are right Thomas with only "one" mistake. DTM 3 and TOCA 3 are the same games :thumbup:

And there is a mistake with the pictures.

Touring Cars 1
toca_profilelarge.jpg

Touring Cars 2
toca206.jpg

And there is no more of this series, there is no Touring Cars 3 :frown::frown::frown:

@ Johan, i have the CD aswell. Is it possible to play this via hamachi ? :rolleyes:

I know. It's simple. ToCa1/2/3 is the international name and in Germany it's called DTM-RaceDriver1/2/3. So all 3 pairs are the same game. It was only a bit confusing, that some people call it ToCa2 and post the pictures of the first part, even at youtube or when you google some pictures.

I know. It's simple. ToCa1/2/3 is the international name and in Germany it's called DTM-RaceDriver1/2/3. So all 3 pairs are the same game. It was only a bit confusing, that some people call it ToCa2 and post the pictures of the first part, even at youtube or when you google some pictures.

Yep. What was called DTM 1, 2, 3 here, was called Toca Race driver 1,2,3 in UK, and V8 Supercars 1,2,3 in Australia.

But 'real' TOCA (1997) and TOCA2 (1998) was about BTCC :). And it was actually a very good game compared to the games which were called DTM1,2,3 here. Imo those 3 games were crap.

There ahsn't been a 'real' TOCA3 about BTCC.

As they went this way in the UK:
TOCA1 (1997), TOCA2 (1998), TOCA Race driver (2000?), TOCA Race driver2, TOCA Race driver 3

Seriously Omer I havent found my cd yet. I guess it's somewhere completely under hidden since I havent played it for years.

Not sure how many of you played it or even still have it, but I think it is still a great one. Fighting a damaged car around Snetterton or Brands Hatch in the rain and thunderstorm, with a controller. I bought a cheap plastic wheel back then, when wheels were still relatively new for consoles, and there was so much lag on it for this game. I had to ditch it for the controller, only to use the wheel for games like F1 Championship Edition (US version).

What makes me post about it though, I have the TV on as I am still working from home, watching an episode of Fifth Gear (on repeats here in the states on a channel called Pluto Cars, from the free app on Roku called Pluto) and a voice sounded very familiar to me. I thought "That sounds like the gent that did the voiceover for the game. I had to look it up, and it is! Tiff Needell. I can finally put a face with the legendary voice, hahaha. Oh, the small meaningless things in life :)

I've recently started a Lets play Toca 2 series doing expert dificulty championship in the Laguna. I wish there was a remaster or some way of moding this game. The support car championship cars are also really cool, the Lister Storm and TVR Cerbera. Lots of wheel to wheel, close racing action, great fun.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 109 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%