To all aliens: what is your approach to quick laptimes?

I was wondering what the aliens do in order to set consistently quick laptimes in a race.

I have been racing Assetto Corsa online using Sim Racing System and while I see myself as an above average racer with good racing and set-up knowledge, some guys are consistenly lapping 1-2 seconds faster than me. I would like to know from those aliens what their approach is to be quick in a race. How much time do you need and how many practice laps do you make to become quick at a new car/track combo? Which steps do you take to prepare for a race? Do you use telemetry or special apps to analyse your set-up and laptimes? How do you find out you nailed a specific corner? Please share your approach to quick laptimes with us!

Last edited:
The aliens are just doing everything better. They are braking at the right place at the limit, coming off the brake with the right pattern to balance the car's grip and prolong that well into mid-corner better and adjusting all of it every single lap as conditions change. They then also accelerate on the edge better with more consistency and track out to the ideal and same point each lap.

It isn't really about practice laps or setup but rather a consistent combined skill set that is more refined and knowledgeable, "alienship" is about hard-won skills. Sometimes it can be about setup if you get within 1second, but at 2 seconds off the pace, it is probably a combination of vision, using all the track, not at the limit all the way through a corner and balancing of the car control on the brakes. That last second is all about balancing grip and choosing how long that balance is sustained all based on how you use the brake pedal. There is no magic thing they do that you don't (well unless that is you don't understand trail braking and its purpose and how to utilise it for balance purposes) but rather a lot more accumulated practice.

The aliens are just doing everything better. They are braking at the right place at the limit, coming off the brake with the right pattern to balance the car's grip and prolong that well into mid-corner better and adjusting all of it every single lap as conditions change. They then also accelerate on the edge better with more consistency and track out to the ideal and same point each lap.

It isn't really about practice laps or setup but rather a consistent combined skill set that is more refined and knowledgeable, "alienship" is about hard-won skills. Sometimes it can be about setup if you get within 1second, but at 2 seconds off the pace, it is probably a combination of vision, using all the track, not at the limit all the way through a corner and balancing of the car control on the brakes. That last second is all about balancing grip and choosing how long that balance is sustained all based on how you use the brake pedal. There is no magic thing they do that you don't (well unless that is you don't understand trail braking and its purpose and how to utilise it for balance purposes) but rather a lot more accumulated practice.

Thank you for your explanation. Okay, aliens do everything very well and consistently, but how does he/she know the brakepoint, steer in point, trailbraking etc. was optimal for a specific corner? Laptimes and sectortimes don’t tell everything, because you can still have messed up a few corners.

Also, if an alien needs 100 laps to set optimal laptimes, you may want to ask yourself “Do I want to put that amount of time into a specific car/track combo to achieve those laptimes? I hope someone can comment on that.

Doing 100 laps won’t help make one an alien. It’s a misconception that repeated laps will generate substantial improvement. There are a number of persuasive arguments that in fact all it will do is reinforce habits, bad or good.

Instead, One has to identify what one is doing wrong (and right) and then correct the former and better utilize the latter. That is what is so difficult to do on one’s own.

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

i think aliens just found how to exploit sim physics, they drive so they break physics and take alien into real race car and he will be slower than average guy who never drove in sims lol seriously

i heard some "aliens" turnin off fbb cause it workin agains them, thats most important reason to tell im true, if tey disable ffb tey just drive from memory, in real racin yo must adapt quickly into current cndition and stand real g forces, aliens just exploitin current games physics thats why tey so fast lol

Also, if an alien needs 100 laps to set optimal laptimes, you may want to ask yourself “Do I want to put that amount of time into a specific car/track combo to achieve those laptimes? I hope someone can comment on that.

They don't need 100 laps. They also aren't using trackside references in the way you think they are. Trackside references will get used for long braking zones but for short ones they will be utilising when they feel they should brake and adjusting based on their own internal felt point, this way they can always look into the corner and turn in and balance the car better, you don't need to look at the trackside to know when to brake for a corner once you start to practice the alternative. Most good driers come up to pace in a few laps after they have run through their process of finding out the available grip and overall balance of the car in a few circumstances, that will already give them a good feel.

The pace is something that comes with a lot of practice overall, but it has to be the right sort of practice and you have to know what is wrong to go faster. For a long time, I didn't know what I was doing wrong so stagnated, then Driver61 showed me my issue and I broke through into having some pace finally. Aliens now what right is, what it feels and looks like and you have to practice the right way to get there.

i got the number 1 in a 52000 drivers leaderboard

i would go with low ff and high sensitivity on the wheel

practice first sector till i got to the top then first and second and then whole lap

i wouldnt have been able without the ghostcar of my competitors

in my only try ever i cut a flying fly in half with a long blade

the trick is not to think about it

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 963434

Tell that to James Baldwin
thing is most of today sim are harder to drive, i can tell as i show my rig to my brother and some turns he took better than me, me simracing for 2015-2016 year and he never drove sim with wheel, an he took turns faster than me but then losing time, i mean tey make race cars most easiest to drive, most sticky to road, and sims like make opposite like tey think too easy = not sim but arcade.
i tell it for half a year now, as i watched pro drivers telling abous iceRacing, pro drivers even tell sims are harder to drive than real life. i bet tey could take me instead of James Baldwin and i would drive same as him if not faster. i saw tey took one guy from ACC to drive real gt3 car and he tell at first he was amazed how car is responsive in real life compared to sim, but he drove slow i think he scared to drive, he took kerbs an shieeet but he took them like he used to took kerbs in sims, i mean in real life tey took kerbs cause tey drive so fast tey not able to turn with stayin on track so tey took kerb as last grip tey have to make a turn and tey hittin kerb, and he (simracer best in ACC) was drivin like he took kerb just to take kerb, not cause he have not grip, he was driving so slow he have so much grip to take turn without hittin kerb yet he still was hittin kerb just cause he used to it in sim, yo know what i mean? and he was "alien" too best in ACC. i think James Baldwin had real life experience before, thats why tey took him and he winning now

Last edited by a moderator:
Practice is a very big misconception & a terrible advice. Some people actually profit from delaying the problem so they can still run their shady business.

The most stupid advice known to the world of simracing is adjusting the FOV & stay in dash view. Seriously... just play in 3rd person or explore the track in different angle. Build actual 3d spatial awareness rather than 2D by adjusting the FOV. Telling people to adjusting it to improve laptime is like sharing to the world you have no virility(failure to uphold your genes).

After all, slower lap time could be an incomprehension of the driving model of the specific game title, specific part of the track done wrong or setup. It's really important to identify the mistakes in question. There's a reason why telemetry exist.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 359 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing