Tires confirmed for first 4 races

I would be interested to see this information about the tyre hardness.
I know that the tyres have about 0.5cm of rubber that offers the grip... then after that's gone so is the grip and you're just left with carcass of the tyre
But im sure i have always heard that the tyres are much softer than our road tyres on our cars would be.

Anyone have an old F1 tyre sitting in their living room as a coffee table? lol My wife won't let me have one of those.:D

Nope no hard link to give you right now but i am looking for one.
You can PM Jersey Tom on F1Technical, he used to work for a tire company, can´t remember the name but it ended with ..stone. Could be fire or bridge.

But it´s not that hard to realize. More loading, harder tires.
Same reason NASCAR tires are tougher and stiffer then F1 tires.

Road tires on an F1 car would turn to mush because they are way too soft to last any respectable distance.

Bridgestone?

Well, if it is a 3 stopper i think it might be feasible to go SS / SS / SS / M
There are 58 laps, last year the Soft tyres went as far as 21 laps for Vettel (maybe they were brand new?) So, if the tyres are softer this year and they are switching to SS from S maybe they'll only last 12-13 laps. Potentially that could be 39 laps with only 19 laps remaining for Mediums.

I think it will really depends on how far the teams can go with the Medium tyres and what the time difference between the tyres are. A pit stop can cost you 25 seconds in Melbourne, so doing an extra stop can cost a lot of track position.

Nope no hard link to give you right now but i am looking for one.
You can PM Jersey Tom on F1Technical, he used to work for a tire company, can´t remember the name but it ended with ..stone. Could be fire or bridge.

But it´s not that hard to realize. More loading, harder tires.
Same reason NASCAR tires are tougher and stiffer then F1 tires.

Road tires on an F1 car would turn to mush because they are way too soft to last any respectable distance.
Ok thanks for the info. Are you talking about the stiffness of the tyre construction perhaps, and not the stiffness of the tread compound? Racing tyres usually have very soft tread compound to increase the grip of the tyre, but the structure stiffness needs to be high to resist the high tyre load (cornering force, downforce etc) and to give the correct cornering stiffness. But the majority of the stiffness comes from reinforcements (steel, kevlar etc) and not the rubber. "SuperSoft" relates to the tread compound and not the tyre construction, which is why I was a little surprised by your post:)

EDIT: Sorry for the off-topic, but it just became interesting!

Ok thanks for the info. Are you talking about the stiffness of the tyre construction perhaps, and not the stiffness of the tread compound? Racing tyres usually have very soft tread compound to increase the grip of the tyre, but the structure stiffness needs to be high to resist the high tyre load (cornering force, downforce etc) and to give the correct cornering stiffness. But the majority of the stiffness comes from reinforcements (steel, kevlar etc) and not the rubber. "SuperSoft" relates to the tread compound and not the tyre construction, which is why I was a little surprised by your post:)

EDIT: Sorry for the off-topic, but it just became interesting!
It would really be great if i could find a link to back up my statement but searching F1T is like finding a needle in a hay-stack.

Stiffer everywhere and much harder then your average road tire.
Frankly i´m not sure why i mentioned stiffer as it is much stiffer due to higher loads so let´s keep it to if the F1 tire is harder or softer then a regular road tire.

To keep it on the original subject, my statement is that even the Super Soft is vastly more harder then your average road tire.

I´ll keep digging some more. I´ll probably send a tweet to Paul Hembrey tomorrow and maybe we can get a source to the statement, right or wrong.

Softer compounds at Australia will perhaps benefit Perez and Button because of their smooth driving style? Just a thought..of course it depends on how the Mclaren is on its tyres aswell.

Since Pirelli are supplying softer compounds this year, the super soft is even softer. Should make an interesting first race that's for sure..

I found this good video explaining the new tyres for 2013. It isnt fully in depth but it gives a good idea about the tyres.

There is no comparison of a highway compound to an open wheel race compound. They don't even live on the same 'vertical' sliding scale of a "soft," "medium," or "hard" race tread. It's a complete lateral move.

PM him if you can. That´s the wrong thread as well, should be noted as well that JT is the only guy with proper tire knowledge out of the guys who posted in that thread.

Just using the information from this page http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_the_sport/5283.html
it makes sense to me that the road tyres are harder compounds than the F1 tyres.
16000km lifespan (some tyres way more than that, I just changed mine after 70000km) compared to 120km lifespan
Yes the loads are different for a F1 tyre. Yes the operating temperature is different.
But all that still leads me to believe that the tyres in F1 are softer compounds.
maybe i'm wrong.... but i can't see how

PM him if you can. That´s the wrong thread as well, should be noted as well that JT is the only guy with proper tire knowledge out of the guys who posted in that thread.
If you don't trust the thread (I see no reason not to, but okay :rolleyes:) , you should at least trust the video. It's from Pirelli, and at 0:20 the guy says that road car tyres are harder.

Temps are an interesting thing.

I swear i have seen Pirelli´s 2013 temps for the various slick tires somewhere.
Hardest compound worked at the highest temperature range if i´m not mistaken.

Temps that are way higher then your average road tires optimum temp.

If you don't trust the thread (I see no reason not to, but okay :rolleyes:) , you should at least trust the video. It's from Pirelli, and at 0:20 the guy says that road car tyres are harder.
No he does not say harder. He says hard compund.

If you read the JT quote you´ll see that hard can mean several things depending on what section of the chart you are talking about.
Meaning you can have a hard road tire and a hard F1 tire.

And yes, JT is the only guy i trust that knows. Because he´s actually worked with them.
But the reason why i´m looking at F1T is because i´m trying to find a thread where i made this very same statement and JT said that is correct except the tires would last more then a couple of corners or a lap.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 497 39.2%