Tire wear realism?

Hey guys.

So I just did an 11 lap race on the 24h Nordschleife layout. I was going to change tires at lap 6 but decided to only put more fuel so I could see what was the tires' limit.

As it turns out, there seems to be virtually no change in lap time. 11 laps on that layout is 90 minutes... that doesn't seem possible on soft tiresconsidering they didn't slow down after 11 laps. In fact, my lap times decreased lap after lap.

You can see bellow my lap progression:

Lap 4 = slight traffic slowdown
Lap 5 = no traffic
Lap 6 = Pit entry
Lap 7 = Pit exit + normal lap
Lap 8 to lap 11 = no traffic, but I had 80L of fuel

(The ~1sec difference difference between the fastest and the last laps is due to driving mistakes)

20210701100444_1.jpg

Not only is it weird that I can only select soft tires (seems highly unrealistic, specially on 50ºC tracks), it's super weird that soft tires lasted 11 laps on the Nordschleife without any lap time increase. Heck, my fastest lap was the next lap after exiting the pits with 80 L of fuel!

The only difference in handling was by the last two laps: on some occasions, I'd get some spikes (force wise) to either the left or the right, as if I had hit a curb or a rock. Still, lap times were unchanged.

Last edited:
Hey guys.

So I just did an 11 lap race on the 24h Nordschleife layout. I was going to change tires at lap 6 but decided to only put more fuel so I could see what was the tires' limit.

As it turns out, there seems to be virtually no change in lap time. 11 laps on that layout is 90 minutes... that doesn't seem possible on soft tiresconsidering they didn't slow down after 11 laps. In fact, my lap times decreased lap after lap.

You can see bellow my lap progression:

Lap 4 = slight traffic slowdown
Lap 5 = no traffic
Lap 6 = Pit entry
Lap 7 = Pit exit + normal lap
Lap 8 to lap 11 = no traffic, but I had 80L of fuel

(The ~1sec difference difference between the fastest and the last laps is due to driving mistakes)

View attachment 485148

Not only is it weird that I can only select soft tires (seems highly unrealistic, specially on 50ºC tracks), it's super weird that soft tires lasted 11 laps on the Nordschleife without any lap time increase. Heck, my fastest lap was the next lap after exiting the pits with 80 L of fuel!

The only difference in handling was by the last two laps: on some occasions, I'd get some spikes (force wise) to either the left or the right, as if I had hit a curb or a rock. Still, lap times were unchanged.

Please also create this exact thread on Automobilista 2/Reiza foruns.

The tire wear on AMS2 certainly does make a difference, take a track you can drive consistent laps on (short ones are good for this) and try and be within a couple of 100's of a second whilst tires are still good. Keep driving (you can always use 5x tire wear to make the process quicker) as your tires wear out, your times will get slower, wear them all the way down and the car practically becomes undriveable! The only things AMS2 is give you punctures after they are completely worn (if you keep driving on no tread that is), but ive got a good feeling that might be a feature thats coming in the future. Another thing that really effects tire grip is temperature, and its done really well in AMS2, go out on a track thats baking hot with soft tires and if you dont keep them well ventilated, use too much toe, or too low pressures and they start creeping above 100 degrees, you're sure as hell gunna notice. On the subject of temps, maybe this vid will illustrate the point better

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 332 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.2%