F1 2010 Tire sim

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
If you've tried really low race distance then it might be another bug, but the manual actually says:

In races greater than 10% distance, during a race you must use both of the dry tire compounds or risk disqualification.

It also says the min distance for career races is 20% (haven't checked in-game), so you'll always have to pit for those.

You do have a manual, right? If not, download it from the Steam website...

Tire Simulation

Turning on Tire Simulation enhances your gameplay experience by allowing your tires to wear, blister and puncture.

You will also experience changes in grip level when driving on different surfaces. Picking up marbles, small pieces of rubber which has been shed from car tires, or gravel will cause you to suffer a loss of grip until they can be worn off.

I was reading that in the manual last night, but it doesn't say what happens if you DON'T have tyre simulation on.

Come to that, it doesn't say what happens if you don't have fuel simulation on either.

The manual's somewhat lacking in the information department...

Logic would suggest that turning it off would give you the opposite of turning it on.

So, no tyre wear, blisters or punctures. No grip changes based on the road surface. No grip loss due to picking up marbles or gravel. Put simply, you will have the exact same amount of grip at all times from the beginning of the race to the end, removing grip as a concern and making the driving experience easier.

Logic would suggest that turning it off would give you the opposite of turning it on.

So, no tyre wear, blisters or punctures.

And the manual is incorrect on that front. Punctures are dictated by the damage model, not tire wear. You will not get punctures with damage off, but if you have damage on and tire wear off you will still get punctures.

Indeed, but personally I consider that to be another bug. The tyre option should cover everything to do with tyres, and the damage option should cover everything else. I guess that's the way it was when the manual was written.

To be honest, you'd think that with PDF manuals becoming the norm (and therefore no printing costs), the least they could do is provide full and detailed info on every feature... just like they used to, back in the day.

i didnt know that damage is directed towards the tyres that seems a bit silly you think that it would be to do with tyre sim there is alot of things wrong in the game they must have been in a big rush to get the game on the shelves or something because there are alot of bugs and silly problems that have been overlooked

I suspected as much. I have since tested this and you sure can get a puncture with tyre sim turned off. In fact, get this: I actually got a puncture IN THE GARAGE!!! Yup, that's right, in the garage. I selected the tyres I wanted and there was an instant BANG! and bits flying around. I didn't even really realise what had happened until I went to track (first sector) and realised I had a puncture right from the off. It was then that it dawned on me what the bang etc was in the garage - a bleedin' puncture. Marvellous. Anyone who claims that punctures are down to how you drive, then please explain that.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 487 39.1%