Tire Pressure

JeffL

Right on Brother, I hear ya, it's all good.
I've been working on setups lately and one of the biggest variables is tire pressure. I know that you can do the average of inside outside but man you could spend a week experimenting on one car. Is there a rule of thumb for a starting point? I don't mind tweaking but where to start?

Last edited:
I would also be interested in the answer to this question. Is there a standard pressure for each car F1/Gt3 and such.It seems also like the blackest of the black art of setup's.:)

Tire pressure ... :D The most ignored setting in sim-racing.
But...
The most important in real life. :)

For most drivers it's the only setting you can do during a race weekend. :unsure: Unless you have a very expensive team...

In rF2, cars with the new CPM you'll need to set your tire pressure properly.
Load on the tire has an influence on the amount of contact the tire makes with the road.
Camber/caster has an influence on the load you put on the tire.
Springs/dampening has an influence on the weight shift. (load on the tire)

Alway's set your tire pressures after a run. Cold tire pressures mean nothing. ;)

Unless cars have the new contact patch model (which most don't), the rF2 tyre model is broken when it comes to tyre pressures and temperatures.

Nope, With the old tire model pressure (only) has an influence on the temps. But the load/pressure you put on the tire didn't had an influence. ;) Now you have to compromise with both. :cool:

Edit: the old tire model isn't broken... And still works. the old tire model is more advanced as the tire model of GSCE, rF1, AC and Pcars. Unless you are telling all games tire models are broken. :whistling:

Last edited:
I am really lookin' foreword to that cpm being implemented on the gt cars. The more I work with rf2's set ups the more you realize that it is quite intricate and even the littlest adjustments make a marked difference. Lots of fun:thumbsup:

Unless cars have the new contact patch model (which most don't), the rF2 tyre model is broken when it comes to tyre pressures and temperatures.

This. With the FSR mod the crown is often hotter than the inner part. Many setup gurus have confirmed this. We even ran with pressures as much as 40 higher than what was thought to be optimal, yet the laptimes were basically the same.

Hopefully all the cars get the CPM treatment soon.

Hello, perfect timing for this thread.
I bought RF2 few days ago and have questions also about it.
Is there any target pressure defined by default in the game driven by car weight/tyres size (I understand aerodynamic charge is not taken into account yet) or is it defined by mod itself independently of any other things?

If so, I'd be interested by knowing target temp for GT.
In reality, average target pressure for GT cars is 1.9-2.0 bar. (to reach it, cold pressure is around 1,2-1,5 front and 1,1-1,4 rear. Of course it depends on outside air temp).
So, I considered 1,9b as target but I'm not sure.

Edit: the old tire model isn't broken... And still works. the old tire model is more advanced as the tire model of GSCE, rF1, AC and Pcars. Unless you are telling all games tire models are broken. :whistling:
Agree, especially talking on Pcars. It's just opposite to reality. Reducing pressure to increase temp is a trick used in rally or on light cars. On bigger ones, it does'nt work like that.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 270 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 181 10.2%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 181 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 134 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 240 13.6%