Tire pressure/temp rule?

Let's say my inner tire temp is 8 degrees too low. So I want to raise my tire pressure. But how much do I raise it to get 8 degrees of heat?

Is there a rule? e.g. every pound of psi = x degress of temperature?

I usually click the plus sign once for every degree of heat I need to go up lol or click the minus once for every degree of heat I need to go down.

It's not totally accurate but it's close :p

What do you guys do?

If you want to cause effect in your inner/outer temperatures, use the camber to do it. If you want to raise the center temperature, use the tyre pressure.
Note that the best results will be achieved when you you get inner>center>outer temperature (like 95>92>88). But sometimes, depending on the track and on your driving style, this can't be achieved.
But ok, knowing that, how much should you alter those parameters to get the exact response you want? Then I think exactly like Niklas, you have to try every change on track.
Cheers.

If you want to cause effect in your inner/outer temperatures, use the camber to do it. If you want to raise the center temperature, use the tyre pressure.
Note that the best results will be achieved when you you get inner>center>outer temperature (like 95>92>88). But sometimes, depending on the track and on your driving style, this can't be achieved.
But ok, knowing that, how much should you alter those parameters to get the exact response you want? Then I think exactly like Niklas, you have to try every change on track.
Cheers.

Ok, I'd like to add that camber more creates difference between inner and outer temps, not raising them, but increasing the difference.

Pressure raises the middle temp compared to outer / inner temps, and probably raising the temps overall too, but not that dramatically compared to middle temp raise difference.

But how do one inrese tyre temp overall? Higher springs? Caster? Toe in? in which way ?
Can somebody add their 2 cents?

Petr,
your question is the 1 million dolar question. Almost everything have some impact on tyre temperature, but certain things have more impact.
If you want to increase the temps overall, stiffen your springs, but the change is not gonna be dramatic.
The same thing can be said about decreasing tyre temps. What to do if you're with softer springs, and everything else to decrease the tyre temps, but they still don't decrease??? There are some tracks that cause this effect on the tyres and it's not possible to do anything. You're gonna have to do more pitstops than usual unfortunately. The same thing hapen to the low tyre temps. There are some tracks that are gonna make some of the tyres stay too low...

I think the best you can do is, that to accept, that overall tyre temp is what it is, depends on the track, the track temp conditions and driving style, and dont try to influence it with car setup, just adjust the inner outer and middle to optimal.
Maybe with dramatic suspension changes you can achieve 1-2 C difference, but with this you are sacrifising your otherwise nice balanced setup. It simply does not worth the hassle, and you are loosing with it more, then with a good balanced setup.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back