Tire Locking

Hi guys, is there a way to get more tire volume? I tried the Formula 3 yesterday but I couldn't
manage not to lock the tires when braking at the limit.

Tire volume is full

Thanks
Kevin

But it would be nice to know that you're in the limit to lock up, not you'll see smoke in the mirror to see that you've locked the tires.
Didn't Jackie Stewart talk about in Weekend of a Champion how having brake bias to the front helps to detect lock up by letting you see the tires lock? Suggests knowing you're locked by some other means is difficult or unreliable.

• Deleted member 130869

Didn't Jackie Stewart talk about in Weekend of a Champion how having brake bias to the front helps to detect lock up by letting you see the tires lock? Suggests knowing you're locked by some other means is difficult or unreliable.

Jackie recommended having the brake bias as far forward as possible, to the point just before the tires lock. In sim racing it's extremely helpful to have it as far back as possible to the point just before the rear spins out.

Keep in mind the goal is to have the brake bias set very close to the point where all tires would lock at approximately the same time. It is a compromise though as not all speeds and braking zones on a track will be the same. Then some prefer it to be slightly forward or back depending on their driving preference and the situation. A driver with a high downforce, high powered rwd car may prefer the front to lock up slightly before, where perhaps the same driver in a fwd touring car would prefer the rear to lock first. Either way you want to balance front to back to be fairly close to all four locking at the same time in most braking zones. Of course finding that balance may be easier said than done. Just my thoughts anyways.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 355 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 249 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 178 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%