Tips for racing against the AI

Discussion in 'Automobilista' started by Lorencini, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Dethrone1427

Dethrone1427

Ratings:
    +112
    So can I just confirm, does the ai have tyre wear? I'm fine tunning physics for a mod I'm working on currently and adjusting tyre wear for different cars - am I wasting my time? If there is no tyre wear for AI, then surely all the adjustments I'm making are for nothing...or are they??? :)

2. schlitty

schlitty

Ratings:
    +106
    Run test races and find out!

This is how I read the basic rundown of this thread;

1. There is AI tire wear.
    2. The running theory would be that AI currently may (probably do) handle tire wear much better than a human player ever realistically could in many scenarios. From conserving tires to driving on bad ones, it seems it has very little affect on them in these many scenarios. Meanwhile in their later stages, tire wear begins to have a profound affect on most humans.

For these reasons the original post author suggests turning it off for yourself so your performance is not affected. (I personally like some still and on many fueling cars just have it on a lower timescale than fuel).

Notes: There is any number of outside factors to consider in this AI tire wear conversation. From track conditions, rubbering in, car choice, fuel capacity and loss, how its being driven, etc etc. Any number of these things can affect times,. And then always worth noting that Reiza is still working to improve the game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. kondor999

kondor999

Ratings:
    +215
    It would be really cool to have a slider to fine-tune "AI Tire Wear". Something like that.

Just finished a half-length vs 105% AI in the (outstanding) ASR F1 2012 mod, and it was a total blast. Had to turn the tire wear off, however.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bryan O'Connor

Bryan O'Connor

Ratings:
    +192
    I have a couple of questions for people in the know :)

Regarding Blue Flags;
    When i am on an outlap, have made a mistake on track somewhere or the AI coming up is a lot faster i will often get Blue Flags.
    But when the AI comes out of the Pit Lane and onto the racing line while i am on a flying lap it refuses to budge. I presume the AI does not abide by Flag Rules?
    Also does having invulnerability set to ON turn off tyre wear?

5. Wedsley Dias

Wedsley Dias

Ratings:
    +98
    Hi @Bryan O'Connor ,
    Blue Flag: At some point you will feel this pain. AI simply ignore blue flag, either for you or another AI.
    Invulnerability: Enabling this option has effect for physical damage to the car such as suspension, engine, fairing. To disable tire wear, there is a specific option in the menu.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. alex little

alex little
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    Hey um... i dont have plr file to play with. Its on GSCE and rfactor but its not in ASM, have they removed the plr file?

7. schlitty

schlitty

Ratings:
    +106
    Located in your 'documents' folder on Windows.

C:\Users\*Windows username*\Documents\Automobilista\userdata\*AMS username*\

8. alex little

alex little
    Premium

Ratings:
    +14
    yeah ik where to find it was nothing is there?

Attached Files:

9. Atsuki

Atsuki

Ratings:
    +6
    I would like to see some new tips for racing against IA after the update on IA there have had in the last versions.

10. Lorencini

Lorencini

Ratings:
    +326
    It is almost all valid even in version 1.4.3.

I can list two improvements, though:

1 - The tire wear issue improves a lot, to the point you can use normal wear with hard tire cars. AI tire wear now is more on par with player, very good improvement.

That said, with wear off, the AI pace is still more constant (after all, the 'tire variable' is off the equation; AI and driver cars only gets ligther as fuel runs out, so lap times get a little improvement lap after lap in this scenario). But you can use normal tire wear and have fun with :)

2 - The aggression parameter now can be lowered (I'm using medium now), since Reiza improve side-by-side behaviour with AI cars. They do not hold or lift off as earlier; now, if you race by the book and let appropriate space, they will be by your side all the corner!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  11. schlitty

schlitty

Ratings:
    +106
    Ive been wasting all my time on the TTOTWC so I haven't put any real testing into the improved AI besides a short 5 race custom Mini Challenge season so I'm behind on everything. But a couple notes;

There is the two new entries in talent files as well.

TireManagement=
    StartSkill=

"Added new TireManagement & AIStartSkill to driver RCD files - the lower the first value, the more the AI will wear its tires; the lower the 2nd value the more chance AI driver will bog down at the start"

And the courtesy setting should now affect blue flag situations better.

"Added function for AI to partially lift off the throttle when receiving a blue flag - their cooperation is now a function of "Courtesy" value in driver RCD files, and thus will vary from driver to driver and from series to series; they will generally be equally cooperative in practice / quali, in races they will be more cooperative in high profile series compared to smaller / historical ones"

Worth looking into for modders and talent file editors out there!!

But most of the fixes they implemented don't affect how to approach a race, they just improve the experience! Its been nice. Lots of good stuff like slower out laps and coming back to the pits post race. Cars not refueling in series they shouldnt. Etc etc. Lots of the little things that just make it more pleasant.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lorencini

Lorencini

Ratings:
    +326
    The blue flag parameter works in qualifying (when AI is not in his flying lap) and in race aswell (when he receives a blue flag when the top cars are about to put a lap in him).

What this parameter actually do is to make AI slower its car, in order to enhance the chances a faster car behind overtake. They do not get off the fast line tough, so faster cars can still get stuck behind it (specially in straights).

• Like Like x 1
  13. Atsuki

Atsuki

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for the answer guys!

• Like Like x 2
  14. hagapito40

hagapito40

Ratings:
    +7
    Has someone experience Ai going out of the track in the straight line with no reason? My last race at Buenos Aires n9, end with the four first cars smashing the walls on the last lap without reason!!!!

15. muzarati

muzarati

Ratings:
    +29
    Yeah seen that, also once came around a blind corner to find one AI slowing for no reason...boom!...race done!

16. Lorencini

Lorencini

Ratings:
    +326
    Maybe they ran out of fuel. Only five series now allows refuelling on pit (Stock Car, Boxer, Super V8, F-Ultimate and F-Extreme, the only series which support race-refuelling in real life). All the others, if AI gets out of fuel, they simply stop.

Important: if you select "All Cars, All Tracks", then everyone refuels on pit stop like before.

17. hagapito40

hagapito40

Ratings:
    +7
    My foult was run with agression level set medium not to MAX used to rfactor where max means demolition derby!. I have done another test and all seems to be ok. thanks Lorencini!

18. hagapito40

hagapito40

Ratings:
    +7
    Another test and i found also the leaders have fuel problem...
    I was running formula 69 vintage at 15 laps on Buenos Aires n9 with all set to normal, tires, fuel, etc.
    must be enought fuel for 15 laps but at lap 13 or 14 the ai run out of fuel. It is possible to set the AI to use my setup?

19. muzarati

muzarati

Ratings:
    +29
    Don't think so, lap 3 in Super V8, checked the replay and it seemed to just slow way too early for no reason and then after I collected his rear end he carried on as normal? Also still annoys me when you are along side them and they just drive right over on you like your not even there, let's face it, AI are pretty crap! I wish the AMS dev tools and AIW editor was made available so we could tweak these things but unfortunately it's not :(

20. hagapito40

hagapito40

Ratings:
    +7
    I desagree with that, after raising the FUELUSE on the track gbd i can run spring races 15 o 20 laps with the vintage formula without issues. And for me is the BEST AI i have ever racer against!!! Change lines on the brake zones like a human!. Maybe some tracks are better than others... thats natural, but i really enjoy it!

Hands down for this sim Renato! :thumbsup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.