Tips for beginner

Hello guys, I just got Iracing and I just wonder if you have some tips for me. I have a bit of experience in racing sims, but that is in the f1 games of codemasters. So my experience in real racing sims is very little. If you have some tips let me know.

I now have done my first 3 races in the global mx5 cup at Tsukuba, all the 3 races i achieved pole position and won 2 of the 3 and the first race I ended up third. The strenght of field was 1300 ish. I dont think this strenght of field is high, or is this a normal strenght of field, because I dont believe I can achieve this good in my first races.

@navgo
I aborted my membership more than 1 year(2?) ago but eventhough 1300 ish sounds rather low then if you can both keep out of trouble in rookie races and end in top you must be doing something right.:thumbsup:
To test your talent out then select a well populated series with some splitting so you (hopefully) end in a higher split.
Congrats by the way.:)

oh yes, and we are currently in week eight of a twelve week season, the new schedules are out in the last week of the season, so better to wait until then to buy new stuff. I'd try all the stuff one gets as a starter pack, also the oval side, in the five weeks before the new season starts, see if you can warm to any of the cars which are free and then maybe run a season with this car.

I've been getting a lot of tips.

Set up a Trading paints account linked to your iRacing account if you want to see the liveries people are using.
https://www.tradingpaints.com

For long races you may eventually want this.
http://www.thecrewchief.org/

If you are using VR. the boxes with useful information are initially situation very low in the cockpit.
If you want to see them better ( Alt K ) will allow you to move them with your mouse.

I've gotten lots of information about how to get out of the rookies, but it sounds like you have a LOT more skill on tracks than I do.

One guy suggested that I purchase a Ferrari GT3 to get out of the fray and said it should only take about 6 races to get out of Rookies. Wish I had the skill you have :) I think I should probably stay in Rookies a while until I get the hang of things.

Well, you can either enjoy the racing or try to get out quickly by starting in pits and following the fighting grid at a safe distance. This will usually produce a) not much close racing, b) the mandatory results to get out of Rookie. Your call.
To start from pits, simply do not join the grid during the two min. prep time but only after the starting lights have come on. You will be sitting in your pit stall and a counter at the top of the screen will count down the 15 or so seconds till you can start. Watch out for pit lane speed limit, though, it's already active an the Rookie cars don't have a limiter!
Also, before any start in the lower classes, set your fuel intake at pit to zero and unclick your tire change (F4 and F5 screen), that way you will only get the quick repair if you are involved in a crash and not the normal pit activity on top. Quick repairs are non-existent in the higher classes, though, but this procedure still makes sense because it cuts down on pit time after a crash anyway.

F4/F5 good to know. I still have only taken part in one race, but I did wreck my car and I remember having the car being jacked up on the left and then right side. The seat mover made me very aware of this :)

Didn't realize that was a mandatory tire change.

Just got my Oval and Road Class D license. Now for the Dirt tracks.
After I get all D licenses I'll reward myself and take my Ferrari 488 GT3 to the races :)

I'm not very fast. Even in Rookies I wasn't qualifying in the top half of the field, so I have a lot of work to do.

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 350 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing