Tips for a Novice Driver?

Hello, Im all set up now with new PC etc an G25 wheel and have started racing today. (BTW Merry Christmas) And wondering if any of you Pro's have got any tips or hints. Like steering wheel set up i.e. sensitvity etc. Also just how you guys started and just help for a young novice racer like myself.

Cheers

Hi Adam,

For the wheel setup, you can leave almost everything on the default settings, like linearity at 50% etc. I would only propose to adjust deadzone, i have 2-3 % on both the pedals and the rotation. Not that the G25 pedals would stuck a bit like the good old momo did usually, but just for safety reason. :)

After this at the beginning do not fiddle too much with setups, load in the default ones, and practise the tracks, ideal lines, braking zones, it will gain you much more then adjusting the setups.

Cheers: Atti

• Matt Crouch

I wouldn't say people are cheating for starting off with driving aids :p. I started with them in other games and turned them off as I got better - besides, I believe in GTs and possibly some others in real life they use traction control :)

• Eric Soeters

Depending on what version you have. If you have steam version put it in:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\xxxxxxxx\race 07\Gamedata\Locations

xxxx= profilename
Gamedata if you don't have it, create a new folder
Location if you don't have it, create a new folder

In location put the different tracks in a separate folder. For instance all trackfiles of Albi are in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\xxxx\race 07\Gamedata\Locations\Albi_2006

Goodluck!

I wouldn't say people are cheating for starting off with driving aids :p. I started with them in other games and turned them off as I got better - besides, I believe in GTs and possibly some others in real life they use traction control :)

Yepp they do. So the most realistic thing to do is to race with TC...although it does make you slower so I would'nt recommend it :)

Depending on what version you have. If you have steam version put it in:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\xxxxxxxx\race 07\Gamedata\Locations

xxxx= profilename
Gamedata if you don't have it, create a new folder
Location if you don't have it, create a new folder

In location put the different tracks in a separate folder. For instance all trackfiles of Albi are in the following folder:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\xxxx\race 07\Gamedata\Locations\Albi_2006

Goodluck!

Thank you very much

I guess a lot of console converts would use aids as in most console games the physics are so bad you have to use them!!

In race sims the only time I use TC is in the F1 cars on RFcator as its impossoble without! Early versions of GTR too were tricky without TC, makes th racing better aswell coz people dont keep spinning.

To the noob, all I can offer is practice mate!! Try as many tracks as you can and try and fiddle about a litttle with setup. things like brake pressure, steering angle, gear ratios make a huge difference to your ability to RACE, then it's literally all about learning.

ANother good tip is to go online and watch some of the aliens from the camera? Watch their lapping from the TV and you may learn something, you wont be able to beat them coz they are quite special!! but you may learn a few tricks about line etc.

Some tracks are harder than others, Zandvoort, Brno, are bumpy in places and quite trivky to learn, obvious line isnt alwats fast, but try Brands, Oschersleben, Valencia and youll be fine!!

id say drive a few laps on all the tracks not worrying about time or anything and then pick a few 3-5 that your going to learn inside out first. this will give you a veriety of corner types to practice as well as somewhere you know well to test different car types and see what the differences are compared to fwd wtcc. also because youve learn a good selection of corners a short practice elsewhere will get you reasonably competetive anywhere. then just add to these a new track every now and then and you'll be larffin :D

Hello, Im all set up now with new PC etc an G25 wheel and have started racing today. (BTW Merry Christmas) And wondering if any of you Pro's have got any tips or hints. Like steering wheel set up i.e. sensitvity etc. Also just how you guys started and just help for a young novice racer like myself.

Cheers

For steering rotation, if you want realism, set your wheel to 900 degrees & steering lock in Touring cars & GT's to between 27-33 in Evo.

Best way to go IMO :D

Otherwise it's just practice, I still remember by first attempt in Race. I foolishly chose the BMW at Brands Hatch and went off at druids :(

Still remember my first real online race though, Porto in the E90. Still one of my all time favourites ever :)

I remember my first time in Race....god, it was so wierd.
It was about 2 years ago when I had just discovered simracing and I was waaaay deep into GPL (got me very interested in racing and also I really started to appreciate the 60's racing cars) and then when the demo for the first Race game was released I gave it a shot.
It felt like getting into a mini cooper race after you've finished a GT race. And everything was so much grippier than in GPL (And now that I don't drive GPL anymore, it feels like driving on ice too me. Still love it though :) )
The cars felt soooo slow and I got tired of it really quick. I read some comments about the game and at that site people felt the cars were really slow and boring as well. A couple of months later I bought GTR 2 because I knew there were active leagues in my country that held races in GTR 2. After that, the transition to Race 07 felt much smother and now I really like it. Took some time to get used to but I'm glad I did. The only thing I regret is that I lost the ability to do fast laps in GPL without going of the track :p

Thanks guys. Another Question. I have Auto clutch off and when in the BMW and downshifting the rear wheels lock up. Also does this car require to actually use the clutch? all other cars you dont need to only on starts and when spinning to stop it cutting out.

It depends on how far you want to go withe the game I guess!

I always use auto clutch, aliens dont and they always win!!

If you wanna race mainly for fun and on public servers you'll be fine with auto, its only usewd at startas really and unless you have a G25 whats the point!

• Kyle Evers

Yeah I think F1 uses TC.

It does, in the beginning, seem a bit pointless to have a g25 and not use the clutch, but IMHO it's the hardest "aid" to live with when off. When auto clutch is off, while upshifting you don't generally need to push the clutch in, you just need to let off the accelerator otherwise the engine will rev freely while in neutral and unblalnce the car when the next gear is selected. Downshifting, it will lock the wheels unless the clutch is in. Another bonus of the autoclutch is the throttle blip on downshifts.

If you want to use the clutch during the game with the auto setting on it seems to work perfectly. Just using it for launches with it set to auto seems to work the best for me.

If you are after true realism, then surely changing gear without using the clutch would result in it either not coming out of the gear you are in, or more likely, not going into the gear you want. Currently it seems Evo is quite forgiving :laugh2:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 496 39.1%