F1 2013 Tips for a newbie?

F1 2013 The Game (Codemasters)
HI,

I just picked up this game and am new at it. This is probably the first racing game I have played. I am going through the driver test and cannot figure out how to pass th wet test. I cant seem to mak the turns at all. Tried for hours but still fail.

Any tips or recommendations? The tutorial doesnt give much. I really want to play the game but might have to just quit if i cant figure out how to pass this test:(.

I can't remember if you can turn the assists on or not with the drivers test, but try to turn the traction control on. Also, isn't there a skill level setting for the drivers test? You could try lowering that.
I haven't looked at that stuff since the game came out months ago, if none of these things work someone else might be able to offer some advice.

Are you using a keyboard? If you are a suggest a wheel or even a gamepad. When you pause the gamea, go to options> assists and turn traction control, abs and racing line on full. Just remember to be smooth and follow the racing line.

Thanks for the tips, i have a gamepad I am using. I also have the game on easy and tractions on. I lowered the brake assist as I found that helped a bit. i was able to finally get through the wet weather test but now stuck on the evaluation. I'm struggling about knowing when to brake, when to not use break and just ease off acceleration/etc.I have never done racing games before so i might need just a lot of practice or might be missing something.

If you are on PC .........

There is another option if you don't want to do all this, install a tiny mod which allows you to skip this and pick your team.

If you normally skip the YDT (you can do this), you are left with just 3 teams to pick from for your career. There is a small mod that will unlock another 4 teams (but not all teams), but it gives you a wider choice of 7 teams.

http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/unlock-teams-for-career.75082/

Read the overview tab of the mod thread, as it tells you where to install the one file (an .xml file).

Game path is : YourSteamInstallDrive:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\f12013

I would recommend using no brake assist, only abs, and remember to put the racing line on full and stay on top of it. When it gets red, you brake, yellow brake just a little and green full speed. If I were you, I would install the mod to unlock the teams and pick the red bull, because its easy to use and fast.

• Deleted member 177725

Formula 1 is all about practice,

Drivers spend hours in simulators practicing tracks
Pit Crews Spend Hours Practicing pit stops
Maldanado spends Hours learning how to crash and get away
Alonso spends hours looking at his races looking for improvements

There is a recurring theme, It is all about practice dude, If you can watch youtube videos on guides it may help :)

The best thing to do is go in time trial so there are no distractions from other cars on track.
  • Choose an easy track (I told my friend to practise around Canada because I find it is a very easy track)
  • Turn racing line on corners only and turn brake assist off. If your confident enough then turn Traction Control to half.
  • Do as many laps as it takes to get to know the track and try to get used to the car as much as possible.
  • Then just do a lap as fast and clean as you can and then try to improve on that time every lap.
  • If you don't know what to set as your target then try and aim for a 1:15.0. I can do laps in the 1:12's but it does take time and patience.
  • The best thing you can do to improve is just practise practise practise.
At the end on the day, it's all about how confident you are at braking and turning the car in at the right moment and then getting back on the power as quick as possible without spinning the rear tyres or sliding all over the track.

Hope this helps. ;)

Last edited:
Brake assist off
ABS ON
Traction Control ON
Lines ON (2D)

At first, when the line gets yellow-y, start breaking with full power. When ABS is on, you can brake all you want. After you have driven the circuit a few times, you will learn to brake later and later, but start with yellow on the line.

When you have slowed down by braking before a corner don't use your throttle until you are through the corner, and by time you will learn to apply some throttle when you hit the apex*.

Start slow and steady, become faster each day. In 3 months, you can turn assists off.
An important part is actually learning the track. But being a good racing driver (even in racing sims) takes a long time. I have driven for 1½-2 years, and started with a wheel about 8 months ago, so have patience.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apex_(racing)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 213 14.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 154 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 149 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 115 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 214 14.4%