F1 2010 Time Trial Week #7 Melbourne, Austrailia (Wet)

F1 2010 The Game (Codemasters)
6dquty.jpg

Hey everyone,

Welcome to time trial week this is basically people will drive lap times on designated tracks and post their times here. Also if you could provide some kind of proof say photo or for 360 and PS3 users just leave a gamertag/PS3 ID so one of our staff can just verify these times are not false.

This weeks track is Melbourne (Wet)

So basically you can put in as many laps as possible and your best can be posted here:

The closing day for this thread and results for times is Tuesday next at 9pm (UK Time)

The race settings are as follows

Dynamic Racing Line: Off
TCS: Off
ABS: Off
Gears: Manual/Auto

I needed to ellaborate on this as there are a few people who are putting up times with aids on and these times will not count.

Cheers Peeps and enjoy

Rules:
- upload your picture to www.tinypic.com (or make a nice video)
- post your picture here at the forum
- don't upload pictures directly to the forum
- take a screenshot with your best time showing or of the ranks
- no driving aids are allowed
- mention if you did your time on a PC, xbox or ps3

Hi all, first time post here...

Love this idea of the Weekly Time Trials Competition. I am not quick so will not be troubling the leaderboards at all but would still like to take part to give the TT's that little extra edge :)

Just a couple of quick questions:-

I see that no aids are allowed but can you just clarify whether that includes gears as I see the rules say auto \ manual for gears.

As I am on the Xbox platform do I still have to post a picture of the timing screen showing my time or just leave my gamertag?

Cheers all.

@Tomas - Yes, I did post that in the Silverstone thread, I was gutted that I worked all week to get a lap without my beloved DRL only to find out it counted as assists anyway because I was using auto.

@Hammerpgh - See above, manual gears only. :)

As I am on the Xbox platform do I still have to post a picture of the timing screen showing my time or just leave my gamertag?Cheers all.

Welcome! Please take a picture, the quality doesnt matter as long as we can make out your time and that you didnt use assists. It makes it easier for us to add up all the times and not have to go through different leaderboards on different platforms.

good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys. I will do as requested.. oh boy maual gears :eek: I always used to use manual gears when I was a regular sim racer years ago but haven't got back to that since starting with F1 2010 a couple of weeks ago. Think it may be some time before I can post a time :redface: But i'll do my best!!

@Jean-Francois - It's turns 3 and 6, you're actually very quick (by my standards) through 4. Think you just turned in a shade late on 3 and 6. I got through 3 faster than you twice and on the first occasion you blew past me on 4. I was right on your gearbox on the second last turn the second time but dropped to first gear by mistake and spun out. If I'd finished that lap I'd have been very happy. UPDATE: You obviously improved it, turn three looks much better and I can't get close enough to see you at 6 anymore.

Yes I worked on these 2 turns last night, thanks for giving me a hint ! What I did is race a ghost a second faster then me who didn't use assists, and it's exactly the turns where the ghost was lot faster then me...The ghost seemed to trail break a lot, ie still breaking while initiating the turn...As you say, I was turning too late. Actually I was trying to get a fast exit but lost too much time at the entry.

I noticed some fast ghosts are really "cutting through" the fast chicane (11-12), it is indeed faster, but is it OK to go almost right through turn 12 ? It's seems to me all 4 wheels are on the curb, which would be illegal in real life, no ?

That depends on the corner, some you can really cut, turn 3 at Silverstone for example, and turn 2 Melbourne you can get all four wheels up. So far the only ghosts I've raced are yours and Mikes, good to watch by the way, side by side as far as I can keep them in sight anyway.

I noticed some fast ghosts are really "cutting through" the fast chicane (11-12), it is indeed faster, but is it OK to go almost right through turn 12 ? It's seems to me all 4 wheels are on the curb, which would be illegal in real life, no ?

Morally for me personally; I think a harsher system is preferable over a weak system.
But as long as you have the inner wheels on the inside of the curb/apex you will be fine in some corners, where as some corners punish you for the smallest over step.

The chicane you mention, I believe it's called "Waite" is really leap of faith if you want to be as fast as possible. You just have to chance it. I never let go of the throttle or touch the brake there. Sometimes you cut a little and get away with it, sometimes you will do it cleanly, and most times if you really push it you will get disqualified.
I have compared my own ghost from going full throttle through the chicane, to just letting go of the throttle a brief moment and gearing down and the difference is very big. So in my mind if you want to be fast on this track, you have to really chance it there.
And this is in time trial. In a race the chance of disqualifying isnt an option and you take it safe I guess.

As far as this competition I believe you can cut as much as the game allows, since the game is quite harsh and really doesnt allow any strange strategy of cutting in key places, that I know of at least.

As I found out at Silverstone last week Mike, Auto gears count as an assist. I'm struggling to get a decent time because it's my first time using manual.

Hi Bob, thanx for clearing that up.......i think lol, i guess i'll have to bite the bullet an go manual, i guess i'll start posting some times in about a year or 2 !!!! i'm now off to sob hysterically at my MS wheel

Mike, it's difficult to first get the hang of manual gears, but it's extremely rewarding when you do. And it's won't take that long, don't worry. :)

By the way, it might help to watch people's laps on youtube to see how and when they shift.

Ok well updated time on the Lotus

1:27.388

recon I could get it into the 1:26.9 in about 100 laps or so :p

If possible would anyone be willing to take a look a the ghost car and see if im making any mistakes?

(Edit) No idea how your taking 12-13 flat out Tomas you must be a driving god or something.

Attachments

• Melbourne Wet.jpg
    Melbourne Wet.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 185
lol hardly not, Andrew. It is very hard and I am lucky if I get it right. What I do is gear down about at the start of the sign on the right wall. Then I have an imaginary line so I dont cut the first apex, in the middle through both apexes I gear up again and try not to overshoot. This is also depending on how long you have set your lower gear, too long and you will carry too much speed, the shorter the better as you lose more speed that way, bur still not as much as braking or letting go of the throttle.
Hope that helps.

yeah ok then you do the same as what I just started doingng then just where the wall turns white I gear down no braking but I think I did cut the first apex on this timed lap.

I was also wondering wether or not its just because im in a lotus with bugger all aero.

:drink:
Mike, it's difficult to first get the hang of manual gears, but it's extremely rewarding when you do. And it's won't take that long, don't worry. :)

By the way, it might help to watch people's laps on youtube to see how and when they shift.

Thanx Derek, i've been giving it a go an tbh its WAY beyond disastrous lol, never driven manual an only familiar with tracks up to Silverstone, so i'm cancelling my non-existant social life in order to get to grips with it lol. i have always wanted to go manual but never had the motivation to learn, now i have :thanks: will defo check out the tube vids for shifts etc

yeah ok then you do the same as what I just started doingng then just where the wall turns white I gear down no braking but I think I did cut the first apex on this timed lap.

I was also wondering wether or not its just because im in a lotus with bugger all aero.

How much slower the lotus is I dont know, but I would guess at least one second in the dry. Also considering that it's not only the engine that is different, but handling which as a disadvantage should be multiplied in the wet..
So your time is not bad at all.

Hi Bob, thanx for clearing that up.......i think lol, i guess i'll have to bite the bullet an go manual, i guess i'll start posting some times in about a year or 2 !!!! i'm now off to sob hysterically at my MS wheel

You can't sob if you have a wheel! I thought it would be difficult switching to manual but I don't think I'm much slower than I would be with auto at the moment. I'm not trying it in case it is much quicker and I'm left with an assist time on the leaderboard that I can't beat.

Anyone willing to share a setup? I've taken to just using random settings, the one I currently have is much quicker than my best time but I've not managed to get past the second last turn with it.

Well this setup was good for me Gearing needs tweaking and camber toe has not been touched.

Happy Hunting!!

Controller G25 Logitech Steering Wheel

Time Trial
Time: 1:27:388
Car: Lotus
No assists

Aerodynamics

Front Wing Angle: 1
Rear Wing Angle: 1

Braking

Balance: F 50% - R 50%
Pressure: High