Time-Trial #1: Top Gear Test Track

If and when any of you have some time, load up the Top Gear track and do a hotlap and post your time here. You can post a video of your lap but not necessary. We will go on trust for we all will be able to tell if time is farfetched. This week we will start with the Mini with no assists,manual/autoshift is ok and the AWD 450hp Mini is not allowed. lets see what we can do.

One can use the "Default" setup or an individualized setup for the Mini. Since it's a TT based on trust, we should be able to drive a simple car like the Mini, without any changes at all? No steering lock, tire pressure, etc changes. Isn't that what they do at Top Gear, stock car, ten laps, take your best?

That would be awesome. In the GT5 club, where they used to run time trials, they required photographic evidence of times, so perhaps we could provide screenshots for this?

One can use the "Default" setup or an individualized setup for the Mini. Since it's a TT based on trust, we should be able to drive a simple car like the Mini, without any changes at all? No steering lock, tire pressure, etc changes. Isn't that what they do at Top Gear, stock car, ten laps, take your best?
I will agree to this. and yes that is how Topgear does things so lets do it the same way. I wonder if we can get the boys from Topgear to get in on this :D

There is no way to police setups....anyway here is my time 1:22:084
2011-06-23_00005.jpg

EDIT: Although it would be good if the car was default for everyone

If time needs proof there is always the replay file... It's small and i believe it can be uploaded here as an attahment..

If there's enough interest i can put a server up (public or passworded) which records the fastest lap times automatically.. I have to check first that the script works with dunsfeld and is ok with the rest of our guys..

No i don't think so, there's no such option in server config..

There's a HUGE problem: the track has default BTB autogenerated GDB file.. That means the session times are limited to: 60 minutes of practice, 3 laps or 60 minutes of qualy and 6 laps or 120 minutes of race.. That means that the session ends after 3 laps of qualy (or 60 minutes, which ever comes earlier..)...

It also has non default attrition (default is 10, now it's 30), and the grid is limited to 8 places.. I can edit the files and upload them but you all have to load these new files in order to make this possible..... As i look at the AIW it actually has 100 grid positions, ridiculous but i'll test it now.

I tested the script and it works... sort of.. The game has a bug that sometimes leaves the results-file incomplete but i can correct that manually. You just have to trust me that i don't cheat... I can upolad my replays if that becomes an issue..

But there is still one issue: you get around 4 seconds faster lap by accelerating from pitbox 1 as you get to full speed by the start line... There's no way that i can think of to stop that from happening unless we all agree to use pitlimiter when crossing the line the first time... Pitlimiter is also set to BTB default; 100km/h.

EDIT: I also increased the AI grip levels to make it a little faster but the actual fast line is pretty awful... Grid has now 30 positions. But one peculiar thing it has (lol, that was my Yoda moment of today): the race is always one lap shorter than what is expected, ie if you make 3 lap race, the first time you cross the start line you start the lap 2.. that's very weird and would like to know why it does that but i haven't got the right tools.. You can download the fixed GDB here: http://cream.galleria.fi/SRS/Tracks/DAFTopGear.GDB (use Save As) or you can download the whole track: http://cream.galleria.fi/SRS/Tracks/DAFTopGear_FIXED.zip

Place the DAFTopGear.GDB file to folder GameData/Locations/DAFTopGear

Ok, the server is up and registers you fastest lap automatically. Ranking is updated once a day:

Name: Time Trial 1
Pasword is same as Racing club pass
Ranking: http://www.simracingsuomi.com/phpBB3/SRS_Ranking/ranking.html

Remember to update your track!

Fixed track: http://cream.galleria.fi/SRS/Tracks/DAFTopGear_FIXED.zip
Patch only: http://cream.galleria.fi/SRS/Tracks/DAFTopGear.GDB (place it to the track folder, remember to make a backup of the original file)

The session is in constant qualify so the grip levels are the same as in Offline practice/time attack.

• I think rules have to be revised.
  • 1. Has to be a standing start. You can line up at line and clock will start as soon as you go.
  • 2. You Cannot set up car, must be driven the way it is.
  • 3. I don't do practice laps. I just line up car and go. just one standing start lap.(opinions guys).
  • 4. And of course, has to be the same car.
  • I have already done runs with 10 different cars with the stated rules and will post next car and laptimes every Tuesdays.
  • Above all "lets have some fun!

Personally, I don't like rule 4. Just because there's no way to enforce it, as I've done lots of practice laps already.

What we could do is run each event as a 1 lap race with just the 1 driver. That way you get the standing start too. Although it probably requires some more thought than that.

But it has to be.This week it's the Mini's,next week it will be a different car. We can't have someone using a faster car to try and beat the times we all are trying to achieve with the Mini. I need to think about this more. Too many things on the go for me right now.

• I think rules have to be revised.
  • 1. Has to be a standing start. You can line up at line and clock will start as soon as you go.
  • 2. You Cannot set up car, must be driven the way it is.
  • 3. I don't do practice laps. I just line up car and go. just one standing start lap.(opinions guys).
  • 4. And of course, has to be the same car.
  • I have already done runs with 10 different cars with the stated rules and will post next car and laptimes every Tuesdays.
  • Above all "lets have some fun!

1. This one works, you can see from the laptimes if it's a rolling start,
2. Don't work, no way of policing.
3. Same as above. Also it means that your first and ONLY lap needs to be perfect... One small mistake and it's gone for the whole week..
4. :)

Less rules, more fun.

A problem with standing start - how do you know where the line is? Surely if you creep over it by so much as a nats cheek bone, then it'll start the clock.

I say forget about some of the rules and just go for it. Standing or rolling start, upto you. Pick a car, pick a track (in this case the Top Gear track) and just drive. 1 or 100 laps, doesnt matter in my opinion, as long as you dont cut corners or do anything stupid then all is good.

:)

Ok guys no rules, just pick a car, run it and post time and which car you used and we will try to beat it. No standing start, we'll keep it rolling start.assist on or off,man/auto your choice. Just remember, if you want to beat the posted time, it has to be done with the same car that the individual posted time with. How about a different circuit every week?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back