Time to get Serious!

Hello everyone, I have been sim racing for about a year and a half now. I started with a make shift wheel stand and a pedal platform with a monitor stand and a common office chair. Then moved in with my (EX) girlfriend and was forced to use my desk as my rig which sucked but I didn't have the room to do anything else.

So after leaving her I now have the space and time to put something together for my first sim pod.

I am currently using the DFGT wheel and pedals but next week I am going to place an order to upgrade. I am torn between the G27 and the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 V2 with clubsport peddles and shifter.

The Fanatec route is more money but I read great things about the CS peddles and the belt driven FF. Although I have also read that the costumer service is horrible at Fanatec and the parts are not always available when ordering. Such as the shifter in the US.

The Logitech G27 all comes together for one and I am certain that using on my PC wont be a problem because my DFGT works flawlessly with the driver and profiler. But it seems there is no support for the G27 in GT5 which I enjoy playing from time to time. There might be a patch up coming for that issue however.

Any input on which setup to go with is appreciated!

So now I am coming up with a plan for my pod and ran to the junk yard today and scored a seat for $35 bucks. I am trying to do the pod so it's not to BIG or heavy where it would have to sit permanently. Luckily I am a Carpenter by trade so putting something together shouldn't be to tough on me. Plus after upgrading with the new wheel/pedal/shifter setup I don't want to spend to much more right now.

This is the bucket seat I grabbed today and will post progress pics as I get things together. Its in great shape and fully functional with recline and slider front to back. Not the color I was hopping for but it's in such great shape I'll take the good with the bad.

SDC11879.jpg

the thought to faste my seat belt actualy crossed my mind lol :D

I left the seat belt latch on the seat just in case! lol.. I just ordered the Clubsport pedals which I would assume will be a nice addition to my new setup. Hopefully things go smooth with Fanatec and I'm looking at this as a trial run with them in case I want to order products in the future from them.

I figured that starting with the CS pedals was a good gamble since it's probably the best product they have to offer from what I've been reading.

Upvote 0
I left the seat belt latch on the seat just in case! lol.. I just ordered the Clubsport pedals which I would assume will be a nice addition to my new setup. Hopefully things go smooth with Fanatec and I'm looking at this as a trial run with them in case I want to order products in the future from them.

I figured that starting with the CS pedals was a good gamble since it's probably the best product they have to offer from what I've been reading.

the problem with ordering stuff from fanatec is that they dont comunicate very well & if there out of stock you could be waiting a while. but like you`ve already read the CSP`s are the best product they make and are the most reliable, i hope they get to you soon but i can assure you the wait will be worth while.

i`ve posted my cockpit http://www.racedepartment.com/sim-racing-hardware/25-show-your-cockpit-33.html#post743150

Upvote 0

I had a tricky time doing my seat base! The mounting holes where not level or square due to the way it mounted in the car it came from. Since you used a real car seat I'm sure yours was tricky as well. From what it looks like a seat that you can buy specifically for sim racing doesn't have this issue. They look pretty straight forward as far as mounting them goes.

I also know what it's like to not have the convenience of space or living conditions to build a virtual car in our homes. If I had different living arrangements I'm sure I would be building a beamer in my living room right now! lol

Upvote 0
I had a tricky time doing my seat base! The mounting holes where not level or square due to the way it mounted in the car it came from. Since you used a real car seat I'm sure yours was tricky as well. From what it looks like a seat that you can buy specifically for sim racing doesn't have this issue. They look pretty straight forward as far as mounting them goes.

i had no problem with mine, i got the chair runners and they where ofset by 6cm front to back, but as i was planning on mine being moveable so didnt use them and it left 4 thread holes i just stuck thread bar in :D

Upvote 0
I have been tinkering around a bit with the degrees of rotation setting in my profiler and trying to get some good info on the web about what GT and STCC ect... cars use. Any idea of a good resource to get this info?

Upvote 0
I have been tinkering around a bit with the degrees of rotation setting in my profiler and trying to get some good info on the web about what GT and STCC ect... cars use. Any idea of a good resource to get this info?

that realy comes down to personaly prefrences, the most common setting i would say is around 400deg unless you wanna go old school then its gota be 900 :D

Upvote 0

There is a thread here at RD somewhere that mentions the rotation/lock settings for best "feel" for real life cars. I haven't searched, so can't help you find it, but I am sure with a little help or a little searching you will find the info :)

Upvote 0
The SST Shifter arrived first thing this morning! :) Now I'm impatiently waiting until friday for my next delivery of my CSP and GT3 Wheel! I plan on mounting a cup holder in front of the shifter! There's plenty of room for it :)

IMG_20110223_122848.jpgIMG_20110223_123050.jpg

Upvote 0
Well I have been a very busy beaver this morning! I got some pics
smile.gif

I took apart the CSP as instructed by the german guy on Fanatecs website. Then switched the wires and pedal springs around so the clutch was gas and vice versa.

Then I had to make some minor mods to my sim pod in order to get the now inverted pedals at the right distance in the pod.

Also hard mounted the wheel first thing this morning. That was the easy part of the morning
indifferent.gif

Also since I switched the pedals around there is no more squeak coming from what used to be the clutch. I also stiffened the gas and clutch springs as well.

The pedals and wheel are mounted rock solid
thumbsup.gif
Especially for when my buddy comes over and try's this thing, he is 6' 3" and hard on the pedals and wheel like he is driving a real car so I didn't want them to move at all.

So far all the components are working perfect with each other. The SST shifter, pedals and wheel are all plugged in to separate USB's so I get a higher resolution with each piece of hardware.

Now time for fine tuning which will probably take at least a few day's I figure. Once I get the FFB settings just right then I will be able to make a positive final assessment on the wheel. Already in love with the CSP that's for sure. The wheel for me is just going to take the right settings and some getting used to. Got to love the diameter and the material it's rapped in right off the bat!

Well here are some pics
sly.gif

SDC10231.jpgSDC10235.jpgSDC10233.jpgSDC10232.jpgSDC10234.jpgSDC10246.jpgSDC10242.jpgSDC10241.jpg

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 360 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 180 7.9%
  • < 5 years