Time to clean or replace the Pots

So guys. I'm having accelerator issues on my Fanatec CSR Elite pedals. Basically they don't ever get to 100% fully depressed and when released it goes down to about 10% and flutters around that level sometimes going below and above and sometimes eventually settling down to zero.
I've been searching for ages on the Internet forums and how to websites for any information as to what Pots they use or how to repair or clean them.

Anyone out there in the community have any experience of cleaning these things?
Hints and tips/Dos and Don'ts most welcome.
Or if anyone knows the model numbers so I can maybe just replace them and have some spare for the future would be even better.
I have asked Fanatec if they can advise the model number or type but they've nit got back to me yet. Only to advise previously that they dont stock replacement sensors for these pedals only for CSPs
Cheers.

Do they use potentiometers?
If so it could be the same issue. I'll be getting some contact cleaner this weekend and will attempt cleaning.
The Fanatec pedal, once adjusted to the next hole on the pedal shaft decreases throw but has temporarily fixed my issue.
This due to the runner going further into the accelerator pot housing and thus the wiper using a slightly different track within the pot.

Upvote 0
Well i tried spraying some contact cleaner in there and it was fine for a bit and then went back to how it was before.
Thinking this one needs dismantling and cleaning inside. Some sites show using the eraser on the end of a pencil helps clean and remove oxidisation from the wiper contact.
Will give it a go but Fanatec also got back to me and advised they have some in their UK office so going to order some regardless as want to keep these things running for as long as possible.
After my PC case and GPU upgrade I've not got any room to move for any sim gear upgrades this year or next... :cry:

Upvote 0
I have no idea about the CSR elite wiring. But it shouldn't be that different from other pedals sets.
Well the CSR Elite pedals have potentiometers inside housings at the back of the pedal shafts. A plastic toothed shaft slides into the housing which connects with the potentiometer with a plastic toothed wheel on the end which turns the potentiometer.
I've seen the CSP V1 and V2s has the hall effect sensors at the front of the pedal shafts and the magnet is inside the pedal arm.
Hence why I asked how I'd connect hall effect sensors to a pedal set that has potentiometers. I'm not sure how I'd go about fitting them and where they would be located.
Also would the mainboard for CSR Elites be able to understand the information coming from hall effect sensors or would that not matter as it would recalibrate to the information coming from their own onboard circuitry?

Upvote 0
What's the company name? I can't quite make it out on the box.
Just thinking maybe there would be a way of hooking that up but there isn't that much room around the potentiometers on the Fanatec as they are inside the pedal shaft housing. But these guys may have some ideas or could even be working on a Fanatec mod.

Upvote 0
Ok so just an update to let people know that I have repaired the pot and if anyone else is having similar issues to give this a go.
(At least on the brief test this morning it seemed fixed anyway).

What I did was to remove the pot housing from the pedal shafts and opened up the pot covers.
There is a small square hole at the top. Sprayed some contact cleaner in there and then moved the wheel lock to lock back and forth for about 3 minutes. Sprayed some more in there and repeated for another 3 minutes
Just in case this didn't work I also swapped the clutch and pedal assemblies over so at least I could race again properly if the repair wasn't successful.
So far so good. Hope this helps anyone else having issues with these pesky pots

Upvote 0
Ok, i tested them today, i followed the video instructions, but it didn't work :(

For now i exchanged brake and throttle pedals pots, since i'm using a load cell on the brake one :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mmm, thanks for the feedback. I too run with a load cell for the Brake. So the choice is to go for Simulaje, (throttle and clutch) or commit to Leo Bodnar potentiometer plus USB adaptor in preparation for maybe switching to TX300 wheel.

Upvote 1
I'm looking to replace my throttle pot for the 3rd time in my pedals long history of use. I don't begrudge changing them, I just accept the wear'n'tear and buy/adapt pots from my local electronics store.
However I'm intrigued with the Simulaje product. Can you tell me how you are getting on with them?
I need to replace the pot for the throttle in my CSR Elite pedals, I have gathered from the net that the pot might be a 10k 180 degree pot. Is that what you used from the "local electronic store"?
Can you share more information? Brand, part number?

At the moment I am using the pot from the clutch pedal, it is working fine, but of course I have no more clutch for now anymore.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 250 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 167 10.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 166 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 122 7.4%
  • < 5 years