Thrustmaster woes and upgrade path

Hello all,

Recently purchased a TMstr TS-XW Sparco 310 bundle for $700 ($740 after tax).

I was not happy with the G29 I tried, so I YOLO'd, or so I thought. The internal motor in the TM TS base is noisy and clicky. The throttle pedal is squeaky (easy fix...)

But as a matter of principle after spending 700 of my poor person smackaroos, I am disappointed. With news of the Fanatec CSL-DD on the horizon, I am considering returning the TS-XW kit. Thrustmaster was of little help and after lots of pics, videos, and other data, they decided I should just return through amazon anyway.... thanks? "This should not happen this early on" etc. Way to pass off a legit warranty claim onto your amazon reseller...

I'd likely be perfectly happy with this wheel if not for the extra noises. and yeah, WD-40 (as TM suggested) in the throttle pedal.... and some more involved work in silencing the click-y motor internal fan... well, I could manage it but don't feel that it should fall on me.

Packaging the whole set and sending it back is not exactly fun either, so I am torn. What would you do? I like the styling of the Sparco 310 wheel but might prefer something circular rather than D shaped.

Maybe I'll hang onto it and try for a TM warranty claim once the CSL-DD wheel is available later this year. They specifically pushed me onto an amazon return because it is within 30 days. Maybe they ought to deal with this later and I can get a brand new unit to resell. Just spitballing. My dollar does not seem to be going as far as it should and I am of simple means, so any higher end DD setups are out of the question.

Last edited:
You have cheap pedals that's all. They do the minimal job.

The T-LCM is great. I prefer his loadcell to the one of the Fanatec CSL. It is cheaper by the way.

I bought one to replace my broken CSL and i really enjoy it, it gives me the best control on my brakes that i ever had.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just send it back and get a refund asap, no point keeping a lemon.

The one thing the CSL DD has probably done is made these high end belt wheels obsolete. It is the same price as the TS-PC base with the same rough strength but with all the speed of response of a DD. So unless it is terrible (unlikely this is Fanatec) they have done enough to destroy anything above a T300 at the current retail pricing. But then I got a TS-PC Racer base and wheel for $250 so this is not even the same ballpark price.

But I suspect initially it will be hard to get hold of. The total price is going to be in the 350 + 100 (extra PSU) + 200 (GT3 wheel) just for base and steering wheel. So it is still going to be £650 for a comparable package to a TS-PC without pedals and we don't yet know when it will hit real availability since I anticipate minimal stock to begin with at release and likely a half year or more of backlog if not more.

Upvote 0
yeah....

I just attempted to lube the squeaky/creaky throttle pedal without taking the pedal base apart but no dice.

I am just going to send it back and probably buy a T300 or some other TX base and wheel setup that will save $200 to $400 while I wait for the Fanatec CSL-dd wheel system to be available.

I might be able to overlook the imperfections re: noisy motor but the squeaky throttle pedal even after trying to lube it is pretty much inexcusable for a product I spent $750 on.

Upvote 0
also, to any other TS-PC or TS-XW owners: is it normal that all the fans kick on the second I turn the wheel? They turn off after ~90 seconds of inactivity but I've read posts relating to fan noise that suggest that these wheel bases only turn the fans on after +30m of use.

With headphones or speakers on, I can't really hear them but even with open-backed style headphones I can. It's just unfortunate that the wheel goes full fan speed the second you turn it... in game or not.

Upvote 0
I had a T300 and there it was considered "best practise" to turn on "Forced Cooling"
i.e have the fan run all the time. Though it made some noise it was meant to keep the base from getting to hot and so prolong the life of the cuicuit board.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 128 8.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 162 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 225 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 423 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing